PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector question

Rusty Eads
06-11-2010, 4:59 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a dust collector having two motors? I am looking to purchase this "dust collector" but have never seen one with two motors. Is this a dust collector or just a beefed up shop vac? I called the person selling it and he did not have too much info on it other than it does have a 50 gallon capacity. For $25 I don't think I can go wrong either way, I do need a dust collector and a shop vac. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Leo Graywacz
06-11-2010, 5:18 PM
Looks like a shop vac on steriods. I would consider it a vacuum as the hose looks to be 2 2 1/2". If it is 4" woo hooo dust collector.

Erik Christensen
06-11-2010, 6:07 PM
from the picture that does not seem to be a recently manufactured vacuum & as such should be more accurately labeled "chip collector". i doubt it has a HEPA filter so it will do a great job of keeping the shop looking clean but will in fact make it less safe from a dust inhalation perspective. It is the really fine dust that is the greatest health hazard and collectors that miss the fine dust just end up doing a great job of broadcasting the bad dust throughout your shop.

check out bill pentz's web site for the best un-biased info on shop dust capture

Kevin Gregoire
06-11-2010, 6:13 PM
wow does that picture bring back memories, my parents owned a body shop and trailer court and my dad had one of those vacs 30+ years ago and we used it to suck up water. but i think the two motors was one for solids and the other for liquids but its been so long i cant remember for sure, i was little at that time.