PDA

View Full Version : Bowl construction advice needed

Raymond Fries
06-11-2010, 4:32 PM
We received a very nice serving salad bowl for Christmas last year. I would like to turn 6 bowls to match it and I am a little unclear on the best way to join the side pieces to the base. You can see the set here:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/tulip-birch-salad-bowl/?pkey=x|4|1||4|tulip%20salad%20bowl||0&cm_src=SCH (http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/tulip-birch-salad-bowl/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C4%7Ctulip%20salad%20bowl%7C%7 C0&cm_src=SCH)

Dou you think biscuits are OK? Is there a better joint for this application?

Thanks

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 4:40 PM
Raymond, I have never attempted anything like this, but it looks to be fraught with potential problems. Any glue joint between the walls and bottom will be end grain to long grain, and therefore weak - thus, your question on the biscuits.

But, even at that, it appears that this construction method would invite expansion/contraction problems. To me it appears to be something just waiting for an opportunity to crack. Throw in the constant change in moisture caused by washing, and IMO it is a very poor design.

But, this is probably better addressed by a segmenter, and hopefully some will respond.

Me, I would probably work on a different design with a floating bottom of some sort, or a segmented bottom that would mimic the movement of the sides.

Randy Gazda
06-11-2010, 7:08 PM
I have a some experience segmenting, I wouldn't worry about the need for bisquits, I am sure some will say there is no way this thing will stay together because of the wood grain running in different directions. However, if you make sure your joints are tight for the top ring of segments (no clamping - thus no internally created tension) and then clamp the top to the base, I think you will be fine. Do not skimp on glue (it is cheap). Also, apply several coats of a film finish of your choice.

Thats just what I would do, I am sure other will say this will not work. However, I wonder how many Williams Sonoma has had returned?

Brian Greb
06-11-2010, 7:39 PM
+1 for tight joints and a good glue... use a type II. I have a bowl my great grandpa made[50~60 years ago] that is segmented and has a solid bottom. It's still in one piece and sits flat on a table. It has even been run though the dishwasher some. It's also finished with walnut oil and mineral oil... thats what used to be a salad bowl finish.

...From what I have been told he did the segmented rings without clamps and he glued up the whole stack using a bucket of sand on top as a clamp.

John Beaver
06-11-2010, 7:44 PM
Cut apart the one you have, look at how it's done and then make the whole set yourself. LOL...

Although a nice solution, I don't think a floating bottom would be practical for a salad bowl. I think at least make a mortise and tenon type joint with the top and bottom (like you would for a lid on a box). This will give you some side grain to side grain joints and alleviate the pure end grain gluing. I would also recommend Titebond III for its water resistance and end grain gluing ability.

Raymond Fries
06-12-2010, 1:11 PM
Guess I'll give it a try and see what happens...