PDA

View Full Version : BL Maple Burl HF, Walnut Finial

Tim Rinehart
06-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Ok, disclaimer. This piece of maple burl was MUCH larger when I started, and in spite of my drawing it out...it just never looked right as I was turning.
I managed to salvage it before everything ended up as chips, and decided to use it as a way to practice on integration of a finial, something I've not done yet ... with any success.

I like the shape of the HF fine, and I think finial proportions are just ok, but needs to be darker brown wood, perhaps cocobolo or even ebony/blackwood for more contrast. I really was just experimenting to see how well the finial itself would come out, before using 'good wood'.

Overall diameter is about 5", and 2.5" tall for HF, and 3" tall finial.

Finish is sanding sealer, 2 coats, followed by Beal buff system and Ren wax, on both the HF and the finial.

Comments and critique welcome. Thanks.

Robert McGowen
06-11-2010, 10:50 AM
The hollow form looks great. Tim. I agree with you that the finial should be a darker color, but the hollow form looks just fine without any finial at all.

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Tim, VERY nice hollow form!! On the finial, I agree on darker, but not sure black is the answer. I suspect it is too late for this, but I bet a little BLO added to the finial prior to finishing would be just right for the burl.

Well done!

Tim Rinehart
06-11-2010, 11:00 AM
The walnut I have is very light, but I didn't even think about possibility of using some medium walnut danish oil I have. Shouldn't be too tough to lightly strip away the finish ... worst case...just remake the finial. I'll have to pick up some BLO. Question: Does it tend to darken more than other oils?
Thanks so much for comments/suggestion.

charlie knighton
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
very nice....

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Question: Does it tend to darken more than other oils?
Thanks so much for comments/suggestion.Tim, my experience with BLO is that is tends to darken more than some of the other oils and oil finishes, depending on the components of the oil based finish. Some finishes are BLO based, and the color change may be about the same.

In my usage, the BLO darkens walnut quite a bit, and really brings out the grain and color. The BLO will also darken a little over time and offset to a degree the tendency of walnut to lighten and become more amber.

Michelle Rich
06-11-2010, 1:49 PM
I think we get so used to seeing blackwood or dark wood finials that they look oddly when they are light. I think the finial is well done, and the form is terrific...maybe if we see more light finials we will make more & become used to them???

Steve Schlumpf
06-11-2010, 2:34 PM
Tim - I really like the hollow form! Beautiful wood - pleasing form and finish!

Finials are a matter of taste and what I like may not have anything to do with what you like. I think you did a nice job on this one - especially matching the curves between the upper and lower sections. Only suggestion I would offer is to consider using a concave curve where the finial meets the hollow form. The idea is to continue the outside curve of the form up and into the base of the finial - just makes for a smoother transition.

Michelle - so far I have only turned one black finial and that was out of Ebony. The rest of my finials have been out of Cherry, Maple or Walnut. You can check out my photo gallery here to see some of them.

Tim Rinehart
06-11-2010, 2:49 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. Michelle, you may be on to something, as my wife sure liked it alot as it was. Perhaps I'm just conditioned to the higher contrast also.

Only suggestion I would offer is to consider using a concave curve where the finial meets the hollow form. The idea is to continue the outside curve of the form up and into the base of the finial - just makes for a smoother transition.

Interesting observation Steve, as I debated that more than anything last night as I was at the base finishing it off. I thought it would be best to repeat form on lower bulb with the bead section below, versus exactly what you said...I think leaving a little extra stock to allow both repeating form, but then having that cove transition would be the trick. I may have to try that tonight...and then experiment with some BLO perhaps. Good thing Woodcraft just a 15 minute drive. (errr, that would be a location gloat, I guess) :rolleyes:

Really appreciate that feedback and suggestions all. Thanks!

John Hart
06-11-2010, 2:54 PM
Beautiful piece Tim. I like the wood choice on the finial too...the only thing I would do different is an opposite curve at the finial base, so it sweeps up from the HF. But that's nitpicky. Nice work! :)

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Beautiful hollow form. Great looking wood and a nice looking finish.

I agree with most of the finial suggestions thus far. One other thought would be to move the detail near the tip closer to the tip... That would allow you to thin the lower portion of the finial and would elongate the curved section in the middle of the finial. Just a thought, not a critique.

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Tim that is a beauty. Nice wood and form on the HF. I do like the finial. Well done.