PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood dish (shallow bowl?)

Tim Rinehart
06-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I had made mention of doing a dogwood dish, similar to what I did for the utilitarian piece for my June Art Challenge entry. This is it.

Again, as with the piece in my entry, this was a piece of dogwood I got just a week or so ago at a club meeting from a drawing. It was from a branch that was maybe 3" diameter, and I got a piece about 4ft long, and with some forks in it. This is from the largest fork. Overall diameter about 7", and about 2 1/2" deep.

Chucked up the cut off piece with spur drive (after cleaning up bark with forstner) and just started cutting to make a tenon...finish the bottom, flip and do the top. Took a couple hours, let it sit for a couple days, hand sanded with a 'little' help from a 2" power sander on interior.
Sealed with sanding sealer and then applied one coat of natural Danish Oil, hand buffed only.

I need to work on my pics...I can't do justice to the pinkish hues in this piece, it's really quite nice coloration. Fortunately, it came down late winter (assumed), so the bark stayed in tact. This stuff really wants to check quickly though. I also got a larger piece that I prepped into blanks and sealed. Hopefully it doesn't check before I get to it.

Comments / critiques welcome.

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Tim, I like this piece a LOT! Really a nice form, and the foot lifts it just enough IMO. But, I like footed forms for the most part.

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Pretty wood and a nice flowing form.

John Hart
06-12-2010, 6:42 AM
Oh man..That's great Tim! I still have yet to try something like this. You done good. :)

Mark Hubl
06-13-2010, 1:57 PM
Nice piece. I like the natural edge stuff, good consistent thickness throughout.

Steve Schlumpf
06-13-2010, 2:11 PM
Tim - really like the flow to the form! Very organic! Keep up the good work!