PDA

View Full Version : Question about Stone Mountain Router Bits

Lewis Ehrhardt
06-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Any of you had any experience with Stone Mountain router bit sets, particularly the raised panel door set? Not wanting to go into business, just make about 35 doors and then, occasionally make a few here and there. Thanks L

Curt Harms
06-12-2010, 9:07 AM
but if I were making that many doors, I'd look toward Freud, Whiteside, Infiity, top tier manufacturers. If I were purchasing a raised panel bit, I'd look seriously at the Freud quadracut bits. Two cutters are angled forward, two cutters are angled back. They are reported to cut WAY down on crossgrain sanding due to a smoother cut. Freud is using this design on other bits as well. Actually, if I were in the market and could afford it ($179), I'd look at this set (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2080395/29225/Adjustable-Rail-and-Stile-3-pc-Door-Bit-Set--Cove-Panel--Ogee-Rail--12-Shank--Freud-97-252.aspx). The adjustable rail & stile bits are interesting in that you can make the tenon longer than the traditional 3/8" for added strength, adjustable grooves, double sided profiles & glass/screen panels with an replacement cutter. I have no firsthand experience with these but based on Freud's rep I'd take a chance.