PDA

View Full Version : Plywood Cost

Kirk Simmons
06-11-2010, 9:16 AM
To match up with some very old (1950's) cabinet doors in my parent's home I bought some unusual plywood yesterday. It was really spendy, and I'm wondering if I got robbed or not. Comments welcomed.

3/4" Rotary Cut Red Oak (both sides) Lumber Core, Grade A. It was priced by the square foot, but sold in sheets. We need about 3/4 of a sheet so that was OK as it gives us some extras for matching the stain on the new wood to the old cabinets.

Price for a sheet of this stuff? $3.75 x 32 sq ft = $120. Definitely the most expensive plywood I've ever bought on a per-sheet basis, but the lumber core part is what made it unusual for me. I'd never bought any before so I couldn't judge the cost very well.

Josiah Bartlett
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
It was probably the lumber core that made it expensive.

Andrew Pitonyak
06-11-2010, 1:48 PM
I know very little, so I did a quick google search and I found:

Westwindhardood ===
Read Oak B-2FS $90
White Oak A-1 PS $130

My point is that the price seems to pass the sniff test anyway.

Don Jarvie
06-11-2010, 1:51 PM
Look at it this way. The Depot charges 40+ for Oak, Maple and Birch 3/4 ply and it's not of the highest quality. You stuff if better quality and harder to get.

David Prince
06-11-2010, 3:08 PM
Anytime you are buying something to match up to something else you can expect to pay a premium so that it looks right. The price you paid isn't that bad as long as it is great quality. You didn't need very much, so I wouldn't get too worked up.

Paul Johnstone
06-11-2010, 3:30 PM
You certainly didn't get robbed. Rest easy :)

Joe Wiliams
06-11-2010, 4:14 PM
Are these 'specialty' plywoods and other furniture type wood affected by commodity price fluctuation?