PDA

View Full Version : just joined, 1st question

John Christian
06-11-2010, 8:50 AM
seems like a nice place, and a good source of advice. On the hunt for tools in the local craigslist i have come across;

15" Grizzly Planer
240 volt, 2 hp, 2speeds
$650

Comments on price and make quality? Any advice on how to evaluate it
thanks

Kirk Simmons
06-11-2010, 8:57 AM
First off, welcome to the Creek =) Always good to see new people.

Secondly I don't own a planer like that, so I can't help you evaluate it specifically. Sorry. That being said most Grizzly products are pretty good, their machinery is a mainstay among the members here.

Brian Kincaid
06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Most folks look to pay half of what a new one would cost. I think the price you listed is over half. Of course if it's like-new then it's open for judgement call.

I have a 15" grizzly planer. I bough new from Griz with the spiral cutterhead earlier this year. It is really really good.

-Brian

Stephen Cherry
06-11-2010, 10:33 AM
It all depends-

is it a 15" tiawan made machine with a Byrd head-> grab it
15" chinese made machine-> think again

I bought a Tiawanese made Jet mildly used for a little less.

As for buying used machines, there are many types of seller. Some want to get top dollar. The question is why would you want to pay top dollar when there are sellers out there that want to make a reasonable deal?

Patience, patience, patience. (patience)

Did I mention patience in buying used machines? It's better to pass by several good deals than to take a chance of getting burned. There is enough reasonably priced equipment out there to go around for everybody. When you see your deal you need to act fast though, it wont last.

Nathan Palenski
06-11-2010, 11:55 AM
seems like a nice place, and a good source of advice. On the hunt for tools in the local craigslist i have come across;

15" Grizzly Planer
240 volt, 2 hp, 2speeds
$650

Comments on price and make quality? Any advice on how to evaluate it
thanks

If you decide to buy it make sure you run a board through it before you fork over the cash. Grizzly makes some great tools but its not such a good deal if someone's abused them and they need years worth of standard maintenance before they'll do the job they're supposed to do.

Jim Rimmer
06-11-2010, 2:13 PM
Welcome to SMC.

I just looked at the Grizzly site and it seems like most of their 15" planers are 3HP so this price seems a little high. But maybe the seller will bargain.

Jesse Wilson
06-11-2010, 3:22 PM
I would look for closer to $500. I have seen them locally for anywhere between $350 and $500 on more then a few occasions.

Chip Lindley
06-11-2010, 4:41 PM
Hey John, welcome to the Creek!

Grizzly's are solid planers, with a good reputation. Is hard to comment on price, unless the planer could be inspected for obvious defects, excessive rust, or signs of very hard usage. Paint is only skin-deep, but lots of abrasions sez the machine has seen lots of use. Running, the planer should hum in a solid, no-nonsense way. No screeches, clicks, clanks, or rattles.

If the planer is in a home shop, bought new by the owner, I doubt seriously if he over-used it. If he acquired it used, it's anybody's guess as to the machine's history.
As said, the seller may be willing to bargain. If the planer is not showroom spiffy, and you like how it looks and sounds otherwise, offer $500 and see if he blinks. $550 would be a decent top dollar.

Location has lots of effect on what these machines are really worth. Your area may see one of these used machines for sale very seldom. That raises the price somewhat. If there is a glut of Grizzlys in a wide Metro area, the price goes down. Decide fast, I doubt the planer will be on the market very long!