PDA

View Full Version : Paint drying question

Donny Lawson
06-11-2010, 6:30 AM
I have a Dresser made from poplar and was primered with Kiltz(sealer/primer).Then 2 coats of Valspar paint.That's been 2 weeks ago and the paint still feels tacky.I thought it just needed time to cure but it's not working.What do I need to do and why isn't it drying? Is there something I can do for future projects? I just finished a bookshelf and painted it the same way and it is also tacky.Could I be useing the wrong paint/primer combination?
Donny

Bill Orbine
06-11-2010, 7:04 AM
What type of paint was the Valspar you used? Latex, Oil Based or other? Brushed, rolled or Sprayed on? Air Temp and humidity? More info will go a long way to help you solve your problem.

Lee Schierer
06-11-2010, 8:08 AM
Some times setting the unit outside in the sun so each side is exposed to the sun heat will finish off the cure. I've seen this occur with solvent based polyurethane over solvent based stain when I didn't wait 24 hours or more for the stain to dry before applying the poly. A few hours in the sun cured the problem.

Donny Lawson
06-11-2010, 6:58 PM
The Valspar was Gloss Black Latex Enamel and the Kilz was water base Acrylic. It was brushed on.The Dresser is in the house now but we cannot put anything on top of it or it will stick.I'm not shutting the drawers all the way either. Is there a fix to this or would I have to strip it down and start over?I guess I will pay more attention next time to what I use.
Donny

Barry Bruner
06-11-2010, 8:14 PM
I have had this happen, I think what caused my problem was I got in a hurry and did not let the first coat thoroughly dry. I ended up stripping it down and doing it over, I do not think it would have ever dryed. BARRY BRUNER

Henry Ambrose
06-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Latex is the wrong material for this.
I think a re-do is in your future.

Neal Clayton
06-11-2010, 10:53 PM
unfortunately, i agree with henry. water borne wall paints remain tacky. that's why they can't be used on shelves, cabinets, furniture, etc. anything you put on it will stick.

that's why they still make oil enamels.

Joe Chritz
06-11-2010, 10:56 PM
Is it the 100% acrylic Valspar enamel or wall paint?

If it is wall paint it will be a problem forever. If it is the acrylic enamel it should dry on its own. If it hasn't in 2 weeks there is some issue. I would start with the manufacture tech department. Maybe a bad batch or some incompatibility.

The new version Sherwin Williams acrylic alklyd pro-classic paint is the bomb for furniture type products. Almost $50 a gallon but it is hard and non-blocking. Takes a couple days to full cure but once it does it is rock solid.

Joe

Phil Thien
06-11-2010, 11:06 PM
When using latex on cabinets, you want products made for kitchen/bath cabinets, and which say (magic words) "enamel" and "non blocking" on the label.

A great alternative to latex paints is milk paint. Doesn't require primer, and can be top-coated with varnish for a very durable finish.

Donny Lawson
06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
OK, Let's say it doesn't dry.What would be a good stripper to use to remove the old so I can find some new paint? Here are a few pics.My daughter is a big Georgia Bulldog fan so I am working on a bedroom suite for her.
Donny

Scott Holmes
06-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Most stippers will not have a problem removing this paint since it is still fresh.

Is all the still soft or just the black?

IF it's just the black the refinishing job should be too bad...

Donny Lawson
06-14-2010, 6:56 PM
It's just the black.I looked at the red paint and it is a different kind.Apparently the red is compatable with the primer.I'm going to try to just strip the top and the face where the drawers touch since the sides will not have anything against them.The bad thing is I made a bookshelf that matches and it has black shelves.,so it will have to have stripper on it too.I guess I will pay more attention to the paint/primer next time and make sure they work together.
Donny