PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Grizzly Bandsaw Questions, Gloat?

Greg Scull
06-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Hi all,

Not sure if this is my first gloat or not but it is my first bandsaw!

I found this lonely Grizzly 14" 1019 Bandsaw on CL today and it followed me home after I gave its old owner 100$.

It looks like the tires are a little old and a little cracked but it fired up and cut a piece of oak the guy had sitting around.

its a 3/4 hp made in 1995.

What would you recommend I do to check it out? I am going to head to the library tomorrow to pick up some books so that I can learn about bandsaws as its my first. Need to pick up some new blades and tires? I suppose. Anything else?

Thanks for looking :)

Van Huskey
06-11-2010, 7:18 AM
Ummm,

YOU SUCK!

Good find! Tires and blades are a good start, then you just need to use the saw to determine if anything else is needed to make it work correctly. Later you can consider the upgrades you may or may not want to do.

Neil Brooks
06-11-2010, 7:39 AM
Get Mark Duginske's band saw book.

All will be revealed.

And ... yeah ... you do appear to suck :)

Randy Gazda
06-11-2010, 9:50 AM
Before you buy blades, think about weather or not you want to add a riser block so you can cut or resaw stock taller than 6". I have a similar Grizzly bandsaw but the next model up with a 1hp motor, works great for resawing think boards.

Oh, nice score!!!!

Greg Scull
06-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Before you buy blades, think about weather or not you want to add a riser block so you can cut or resaw stock taller than 6". I have a similar Grizzly bandsaw but the next model up with a 1hp motor, works great for resawing think boards.

Oh, nice score!!!!

Ive been researching that this morning. It looks like Grizzly doesnt sell the Riser anymore? I have read that HF sells a similar unit which the Riser might work on?

Anyone know if this is the case? Or if other brands Riser will work? Or maybe even the new Grizzly one?

Apparently its worth replacing the tensioner with a lever?

I think I need that book :)

eugene thomas
06-11-2010, 6:16 PM
i sold the same bandsaw on tuesday. same year but got 225$ for it. glad sold before the polar bear series was in full swing. now have to find 17" to 19" model to fill the hole in my shop.

Steve Bigelow
06-11-2010, 6:34 PM
That looks identical to my (hangs his head and kicks the dust up a little with his toe) HF bandsaw. I put the Grizzly riser block on it. http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com/bandsaw/home.shtml

It's a decent little saw for $100. The 1.25hp motor is decent on resawing if you go slow.