PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me…

Jim Koepke
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Or do some things just become too common and over run the world.

Today my wife was having surgery. Afterwards she was moved to the fourth floor for recovery in another wing of the hospital. The volunteer gave me directions to the elevator to take me to the fourth floor of the wing with her room. These directions included, go out the door, turn left and go down the hall and turn right at the StarBucks.

It is crazy enough when in even a small town like where we live I can stand in one StarBucks and look out the window and see another StarBucks. I thought this was strange when I worked in San Francisco and there were about Five of them in a three block radius of my work location.

It seems strange that even though I am not a StarBucks fan, I know where there are four of them on the same street in town.

I am sure I have not found all of them locally. Of course, I have not been looking either.

jim

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Jim,

You 'll be happy to know that in Lewiston, Idaho, population 31,000+ there is to the best of my knowledge 1 Starbucks in town. I don't think there is one in Clarkston, WA just across the river or Asotin just 3 miles south of Clarkston.

But there is a little drive-through coffee shop every three blocks......non-affiliated....wildcatting it so to speak.

I drink 3-4 POTs of coffee daily. I don't shop at these specialty coffee shops. I drink Folgers or whatever the hospitals serve in the radiology departments.

I do buy specialty coffee periodically but only when my youngest son's wife is visiting. She likes it....I like her....I get up and go get her some coffee every morning so she'll know she's special in our lives and her FIL likes her.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
BTW....I hope your wife's surgery went well and I will keep her in my thoughts for a full and speedy recovery.

Ray Bell
06-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Ken,

There is one in Clarkston.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Hello, my name is Matt and I'm an addict...

Though anymore I like mochas at home better than at Starbucks, but I do use Starbucks coffee from Costco or the grocery store. But if I'm traveling for work, every morning my breakfast is $4.15 (or so depending on tax.)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Ken,

There is one in Clarkston.

Then I stand corrected.:o

Andy Pedler
06-11-2010, 1:22 AM
When visiting Vancouver many years ago, I was fascinated by one street corner in the touristy part of town. It had coffee shops on all 4 corners, and 3 of the 4 corners housed Starbucks.

So you would never have to even cross the street for coffee, unless you only frequented Starbucks and found yourself on the unlucky corner. :eek:

- Andy

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 6:27 AM
Jim, hope your wife is doing well!!

I recalled this bit of news, and found it - from 2006!

Starbucks' (SBUX (http://moneycentral.msn.com/detail/stock_quote?Symbol=SBUX), news (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/rcnews.asp?Symbol=SBUX), msgs (http://moneycentral.msn.com/community/message/board.asp?Symbol=SBUX)) recently announced goal of having 40,000 stores worldwide isn't just about spreading green awnings through Middle America, the Middle East and other parts of the world not yet tempted by easy access to mocha Frappuccinos and pumpkin-spice lattes.
The coffee chain's aggressive growth also hinges on what the company calls infill -- adding stores in cities where its mermaid logo is already commonplace. In some cases, that means putting a Starbucks within a block of an existing store, if not closer.
While Starbucks knows there's plenty to lure people into its coffee shops, it recognizes that many people won't walk very far, or wait very long, for an optional and pricey treat.
"Going to the other side of the street can be a barrier," said Launi Skinner, a senior vice president in charge of Starbucks' store development.

Brian Elfert
06-11-2010, 7:49 AM
In the past few years Starbucks has retrenched somewhat and closed a number of stores particularly in areas in areas that had many stores. Too many people giving up their Starbucks as the economy tanked.

Where I live there were some complaints from folks in outer ring suburbs that there was no longer a convenient Starbucks as a number of them closed. I believe Starbucks was counting on population growth to support these stores and the housing crash killed the growth.

Joe Pelonio
06-11-2010, 8:02 AM
Even the small towns in WA are going to have several, some inside the major grocery stores. We have two so close you can see one from the other, plus another about 1 mile away and another a mile from that one. We also have a Tully's. I too prefer my wife's mochas made here on our machine, but when on the road like we'll be late next week on vacation a Starbucks card is handy.

Jim Koepke
06-11-2010, 12:30 PM
BTW....I hope your wife's surgery went well and I will keep her in my thoughts for a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you, she looked good when I saw her still groggy from the anesthesia.

She is having her knees replaced one at a time. She has been wanting this for a long time.

jim

JohnT Fitzgerald
06-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi Jim - I hope your rife is recovering well.

Funny you shoudl post this - there was an article in the local paper the other day about Dunkin Donuts versus SBs. We have a lot of SB's, but we have A LOT of DD's.

check out this map:
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/massfacts/snapshot_dunkin_donuts_vs_starbucks_massachusetts/ (http://www.boston.com/yourtown/massfacts/snapshot_dunkin_donuts_vs_starbucks_massachusetts/)

Jim Koepke
06-11-2010, 12:41 PM
While Starbucks knows there's plenty to lure people into its coffee shops, it recognizes that many people won't walk very far, or wait very long, for an optional and pricey treat.

For some reason, it always seemed to me at a Starbucks one person would take your oder, another would make it and a third would ring up the cash register. They would all kind of stand in awe while the order was being made. It seemed to take an inordinate amount of time for a line of three or four people to get their orders.

At my favorite coffee franchise, Peet's, it is obvious those people are drinking what they serve at full strength. It can be chaos behind the counter when there is a line of 15 or 20 people. But you can see the line move.

That's the coffee I crave.

My favorite is Major Dickason's blend. It is the kind of coffee that slaps you on both cheeks and screams "WAKE UP!"

jim

Charlie Reals
06-11-2010, 1:46 PM
[QUOTE=My favorite is Major Dickason's blend. It is the kind of coffee that slaps you on both cheeks and screams "WAKE UP!" jim[/QUOTE]

Ya mean "dog watch coffee"? :D:D
To the best of my knowledge we have only one sb in our entire county. Maybe two but I am not sure.

Jim Rimmer
06-11-2010, 2:01 PM
It is crazy enough when in even a small town like where we live I can stand in one StarBucks and look out the window and see another StarBucks. I thought this was strange when I worked in San Francisco and there were about Five of them in a three block radius of my work location. jim
Hope the knee surgery goes well for your wife.

I stole this thought from a comedian but can you imagine, when you get older and your faculties are not quite as good as they used to be - you walk out of Starbuck's, halfway across the street you see another one. Is this real or did I forget where I was going or where I was coming from? :eek:

BTW, I use a cinnamon flavored brew on Saturdays (only). About midafternoon I take what's left, put it in a blender with some Blue Bell Ice Cream (the best in the world), add a little chocolate syrup, blend and serve it to myself over crushed ice. Better than the frappawhatsits at SB or Mickey D's.

Terry Achey
06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Hospitals like Starbucks....allot of people sitting around for long periods of time awaiting surgery cases or visiting friends & family. Starbucks almost always does very well with captive customers inside hospitals. It's also typically a productive revenue generator for the hospital to have the franchise within the building. I think it"s a win -win -win (Starbucks / hospital / visitors).

Personally, I prefer a milder coffee but do indulge on an occassional latte' ;).

Terry

Mike Wilkins
06-14-2010, 10:04 AM
How loony is this? A local Starbucks location in a new building closed after less than one year, and a Dunkin' Donuts moved into the building less than a year later. And the DD location get just as much business as the Scarbucks. Mine included.

Matt Meiser
06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Mike, they opened one in Angola, IN which is a very small town and closed it 1 year almost to the day later. Last time we were there (last fall) it was still sitting empty.