PDA

View Full Version : Gloat (i hope) and a question re fence

sullivan mcgriff
06-10-2010, 9:47 PM
Just had this dropped off (actually it's twin) with a 3hp 1ph motor for the grand total of 300$ (308$ us) but I wonder if I should stick with this fence or use my accusquare one ?

Van Huskey
06-10-2010, 9:49 PM
That deserves a:

YOU SUCKETH!

I say use the fence then decide.

Dave MacArthur
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
My Sss and K keys are stickking, there's so much Good Work going on tonight! You SUCK --- Arrrgh--ARRgh!

Kurt Cady
06-10-2010, 10:05 PM
What's the big deal?

Kirk Simmons
06-11-2010, 9:08 AM
Good deal on the Unisaw, looks like a good one especially for $300.

Fence wise, try the one that's on it and see if you like how it behaves. You're used to your Accusquare, so I bet you end up installing it sooner or later, but it's worth some experimentation.

Josiah Bartlett
06-11-2010, 12:52 PM
The jetlock fence actually is a good fence, until it wears out or gets bent. If yours is in good shape, keep using it, but if it starts to slip or the rails are bent a new fence is in order. I ran mine for a while until the locking mechanism in the fence broke, now I run a Shop Fox classic fence. I liked the geared micro adjust knob.

Thom Porterfield
06-12-2010, 4:42 AM
I inherited almost the exact same saw years ago from my dad. Mine says DELTA on the cabinet door in really cool art deco lettering. It had the same fence. I happily ruined acre feet of wood on that saw and then times changed and I got away from woodworking for awhile. A cabinet maker friend of mine asked to borrow the saw to use as a dedicated dado station. I wasn't using it, so I agreed. He didn't like the fence, so he installed a Biesemeyer instead. I wanted to keep the old fence around, mainly for sentimental reasons, but there is no comparison for accuracy. There are only two thing I dislike about the saw: it has no riving knife or any way I can see to install one (has a splitter though) and and it is a right-tilt arbor.

But, boy, is it solid. You'll have good times with that saw, Sullivan. Enjoy it and take good care of it.

scott spencer
06-12-2010, 5:13 AM
[QUOTE=Thom Porterfield;1444449]...There are only two thing I dislike about the saw: it has no riving knife or any way I can see to install one (has a splitter though) and and it is a right-tilt arbor. /QUOTE]

An aftermarket retrofit riving knife does exist...Google: The ****Store

That was an excellent $300 purchase Sullivan!

Ray McCullie
06-12-2010, 6:45 AM
That deserves a:

YOU SUCKETH!

I say use the fence then decide.

Just what I was thinking...

Thom Porterfield
06-13-2010, 3:23 AM
Thanks for that link, Scott. I'm investigating it.

Mike Cruz
06-13-2010, 11:28 AM
VERY NICE. And definately gloat worthy!