PDA

View Full Version : The Hunt for the Great Tool Deal-- an Atavistic expression of our Cave-Man Instincts?

Dave MacArthur
06-10-2010, 9:37 PM
Admit it... we LOVE searching for a great deal on a tool! The daily search for that tool deal is a good part of the enjoyment hey? We're like primitive cave-men, on the hunt!
Thesis: Our ancient cave-man instincts are subliminally driving us to perform a daily Hunting Ritual. We can't help it, we're forced to it by a zillion years of evolution. It's not our fault! We MUST find that Great Prey to sustain the tribe, that Grizzly to keep us fed and fat for the coming winter, that grey beast whose 5HP carcass we'll preserve and honor forever...

We get up in the morning, and sniff the air--arrgh-arrrgh!-- We check for temperature and moisture content, are our tools safe? Will there be rain, do we need to protect our blades and knives and other sharp things? How's the heat--is it a good day to Hunt? I mean work in the shop? We look over our stuff, and gradually the Need grows in us... we MUST HUNT! Our larders will soon be empty, we must be sure they're filled--and that spot over there looks empty without a Big Band saw. Our families are relying upon us, we can't let them down, the members of our tribe must be supplied!

We guzzle down our ritual beverage of roasted tree nuts, and we race back inside to begin the Hunt! We fire up our hunting tools, and within seconds Craigs List appears upon our screens--the Great Tool Deal is out there, lurking in the grass, hiding, waiting for us to discover it! If we can catch some big prey, find that Great Tool Deal, we'll be able to build shelter and safety and Nice Trade Goods for our tribe! We stalk the sparse and flat grounds of Craigs List, but it is barren... No big prey there, nothing big can live there hidden for long before other hunters find it, only some small rodents, not enough, we must preserve our spear for the Big One, and finding it we must race quickly and fearlessly to the attack, thrusting forth with our wallet to Make the Kill! We leave the plains and tall grasses of The List, and venture into the Jungle of Ebay, a more dangerous place with other predators who hunt us, but still teeming with Prey for the clever hunter ...must...find...tool deal...

And as soon as we catch that great tool deal, we bring it home and dance around the fire of SMC, glorying in the praise of the other Tribe Members--"You are a Great Hunter!" they say, "Well done, you have saved your family from sure deprivation with such a successful hunt!" they support us with, "You Suck!" they congratulate our Hunting Prowess.

But soon, days only, we feel the Need coming upon us again... the eternal need of the hunt. Modern day cave-men, our atavistic instincts are only sublimated and vicariously satisfied in The Hunt...

Am I wrong? Comments Please! ;)

Van Huskey
06-10-2010, 9:48 PM
Dave, let me say I enjoyed the post!

Second, be glad your a long way away 'cause if you were closer I might get a club and come "borrow" your tools... :D

Rick Potter
06-11-2010, 3:09 AM
Don't tell anyone, but I prowl Craig list at night, after the family has gone to bed. I search for big game from Powermatic, Delta, and the like, even though I don't really need any new ones. Sometimes I even buy one if it's such a good deal I don't want anyone else to get it. My man cave is full of duplicate tools that I could probably live without, but they were the elusive 'deal'.

I have been tracked down by other hunters, who have heard of my stash, but they will never get my 'deals', let them find their own.

Ahh, after midnite, time to hunt.

Rick Potter

Bill LaPointe
06-11-2010, 4:16 AM
I love this place! The truth is really funny when looked at from the proper perspective.

Tom Rick
06-11-2010, 6:16 AM
Yep- and I spotted a great white elk in a far field just the other day... . A early WT lathe with a really cool brass makers badge....It could have fed my family for weeks! I will return to this field in hopes of spotting another and perhaps bringing this one home to the cave..

You are on to something- man and tools. When I used to sweat such things a bit more I would tell people that what I really wanted was a return to cave life- cave bears and carefully shaped spears- direct survival. Now our tools are a degrees and management skills- tools we only figuratively 'hold in our hands'.

Chip Lindley
06-11-2010, 7:51 AM
And I thought it was all because I am frugal, to look for tool bargains. Simple economics; I simply cannot afford to buy NEW! Neanderthals did not hunt for *used* meat! They dragged home Brand New food!

Come to think of it, bargain hunting is a definate survival skill. The further a dollar goes, the happier LOML is!

Kirk Simmons
06-11-2010, 9:02 AM
Until my recent Sawstop purchase, I had never paid full price for any of my major tools. Everything was used and bought via CL. Saving 50% over the cost of a new tool is not terribly hard to do, the hard part is finding the tool you want =)

Chris Nolin
06-11-2010, 9:54 AM
Dave, this is brilliant! I smiled the whole time reading it! It really is a hunt! It requires tactics, timing, steely nerves, and early-rising. I'm going to print this out for my wife so she can finally understand. Thanks for the new perspective! A very fun read! Oh, and thanks also for "atavistic", a new arrow for my quiver!

Brian Kincaid
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
You are correct. I don't really brag to my friends about my tools. I have bragged a time or two about the deals I got on my tools.

-Brian

Rod Sheridan
06-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Dave, it's time to take two steps back from the Espresso machine, you're over caffeinated!:D

Actually it was good post, and it demonstrated to me once again that I'm missing one of the male DNA sequences. (Don't like looking for used wood working machines, don't like watching sports etc.)

Strangely, I really enjoy looking for old wood working tools such as planes, chisels, hand drills etc, as well as vintage motorcycles.

I have this strange disconnect between the wood shop and the garage. I love rebuilding old bikes, I loathe having to rebuild old wood working machines, although I have done it on two occasions.

Regards, Rod.

John Pratt
06-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Excellent Post. I love the metaphor. Now I can tell LOML that it is just nature at work when I buy a tool. I can't help it, it is in my DNA.

Tom Welch
06-11-2010, 1:18 PM
Great post Dave. I laughted all the way through it. BTW I guess I am normal, sorry Rod. (Just kidding)

Jim Rimmer
06-11-2010, 1:50 PM
How dare you pull me away from the hunt to go find my Webster's Collegiate? Atavistic, indeed! :eek: We are cavemen, after all. Please use words we understand. :D Single syllable words are even better.

Dave MacArthur
06-11-2010, 9:09 PM
Arrrgh! Arrrgh! ;)

Steve Griffin
06-13-2010, 8:40 AM
HAH!!! I love it.

I have long compared us to nesting birds too. Every time my wife leaves the house she comes back with something in her beak which we need to find a place for....

-Steve