PDA

View Full Version : An old catalog

steven c newman
06-10-2010, 8:27 PM
I have had for a few years, an old catalog from Bostwick-Braun of Toledo, Ohio. This BIG catalog was where the old hardare stores ordered all their supplies. I think the year of the catalog is 1943. All kinds of hand tools, some power tools, and evrything else from "Axes to swingsets". Where else could one buy a DOZEN Estwing hammers for under $12? Catalog has about 1400 pages, and is "hardbound". There is even a "listing" for a sparkplug for a clothes dryer.

Dave Lehnert
06-10-2010, 8:35 PM
I have had for a few years, an old catalog from Bostwick-Braun of Toledo, Ohio. This BIG catalog was where the old hardare stores ordered all their supplies. I think the year of the catalog is 1943. All kinds of hand tools, some power tools, and evrything else from "Axes to swingsets". Where else could one buy a DOZEN Estwing hammers for under $12? Catalog has about 1400 pages, and is "hardbound". There is even a "listing" for a sparkplug for a clothes dryer.

I just saw two of them (catalog) at an antique mall yesterday In New Philadelphia, Ohio.
They are still in business today. I deal with them in my day job

Matt Meiser
06-10-2010, 8:53 PM
Just in the news actually as they are building a new corporate headquarters in Sylvania, OH a couple miles outside the Toledo city limits. They are currently the 3rd oldest continually operating company in the city.

I have a Stanley 110 block plane in the box with one of their price tags on it.

harry strasil
06-10-2010, 10:12 PM
My Dad and Uncle saved everything it seemed, I scrapped most of the useless metal cutoffs, but I found their stash of old catalogues, unused order books from different companies and advertising items. Its part of my collection that I use for references to identify things for people, etc.

Matt Meiser
06-10-2010, 10:38 PM
Here's the article with a little history on the company:
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100609/BUSINESS03/6090311/-1/BUSINESS