PDA

View Full Version : Symposium

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-10-2010, 7:28 PM
Next weekend is the woodturning symposium in Hartford, CT. I'm new to woodturning and hope to attend. I'm overwhelmed looking at all the demonstrations and discussions that will happen there. I am sure I would find them entertaining but probably way beyond the scope of a person just learning to use the tools. Have any of you found useful education for basic skills at past symposiums.
How about the trade show portion. Is that a good place to choose basic bowl gouges? I know I want a couple bowl gouges, probably a side ground and a conventional ground but I am not sure of the sizes. I know how easy it is to get sucked into overbuying at a show and would like a "start up tool" list so I don't go overboard and buy gimmicky tools. Any guidance?
fmr

charlie knighton
06-10-2010, 7:42 PM
you are very lucky, enjoy yourself, take the classes, take notes on which tools they are using for what, be sure to walk the vendor area each day and what the demo there, be sure to visit the instant gallery each day, you can not see it all or do it all so pace yourself .... enjoy

Dave Carey
06-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Faust,
I've attended two of these and will be at the Hartford one as well. I think there are things to learn no matter what your level of expertise is currently. It's also interesting to see the turners you read about and watch on DVDs; they're approachable, patient with questions that are basic or advanced and just all around nice people. Re the tools, I suggest you have a pretty good idea of what you're after, maybe narrowed down to two or three from different manufacturers. Otherwise it may be a bit confusing inasmuch as they all have the "best" tool available! Most of all just enjoy. Dave

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 6:39 AM
Faust, let me first say I am envious!! I would love to be going to Hartford, but it just isn't in the cards this year. Hope to go next year to St. Paul - and, I hope that a few of my turning buddies from up north will attend, as well!;)

Bernie Weishapl
06-11-2010, 7:39 AM
Faust I agree with Dave Carey. I went to the one in Richmond, Va. a few years back. My first and to say I was overwhelmed is a under statement. I would sit down and pick some demo's that really interest you and something you think you will probably be doing. As he said tool wise I would look at a couple that I am definitely interested in and would be doing. They are a lot of fun and enjoy. I got to meet Al Stirt, Mike Mahoney, Bill Grumbine, etc. just to name a few. Great turners and willing to help or answer question.

Richard Coers
06-11-2010, 10:22 AM
I feel that the vender area is almost the best place to learn. You can get really close to the demonstrator and visit with them one on one. In Louisville, the demo rooms were so crowded, that I chose my rotations based on the main person who was at the first rotation of the morning, or after lunch. If you tried moving from room to room, you were lucky to get a seat. Standing room for a full demo is pretty tough. So I would get to the first rotation early, then set up camp with water and a note pad, then stay there till a break. My funniest observation was just after a demo, turners would flock to that persons vender area, and buy up the tools he had just seen demonstrated. I had never been to a place where more money was spent in a vender area. You almost get the feeling that the demo was an infomercial for the tool seller!!!! You will be exhausted, and maybe broke, after the weekend. Have fun!

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow,
You have me really looking forward to the symposium. We erect large fabric structures for a living and next weekend will be my first break since the middle of April. I'm not sure what the inside of my shop looks like any more. This will be a weekend vacation as well as a chance to see how talented people do it. I spoke with a turner who is giving me a few pointers who said he spent an entire day in the Instant gallery and wasn't able to see everything. I will have about a day and a half to spend and will try to find demos by people whose DVD's I have watched and enjoyed. I find Jimmy Clewes to be very informative and easy to watch. I always watched David Marks on TV and like his knowledge of unique chemical finishes. I will spend the rest of my time walking the trade show floor and determining how to best spend a few bucks in "therapy" equipment. That's the danger area. I will restrict myself to a few bowl gouges and file anything else in my "Ultimate Wish List". I may look for a four jaw chuck but so much has been written about the various brands I feel like any one of the major three brands would work well.
I'll file a report when I come back. If pictures are allowed, I will take a few and publish them for all who are interested.
fmr

George Morris
06-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I will be there from Thursday to Sunday , Any one want to meet to say hello on Friday noon? George

Don Geiger
06-14-2010, 3:58 PM
I will have a booth at Hartford AAW. I would like for some of the Creekers to please stop by and introduce yourself. The booth number is 612. I'll be right next to Thompson Tools.

It would be nice to put some faces together with your names!

Don Geiger
Geiger's Solutions

George Morris
06-14-2010, 4:34 PM
Don see you there! G

David E Keller
06-14-2010, 5:00 PM
For those of you going, I'd be interested in a report when you return. I've not attended the event, but I'm starting to look toward Minnesota with some interest. i hope you all have a great time.

Has the AAW ever released a DVD with the demonstrators from the symposium? Generally when I attend medical conferences, there are DVD's available that include all of the lectures. Just a thought for those of us who are unable to attend or for attendees that want to be able to refresh what they learned.

Jim Silva
06-14-2010, 5:36 PM
I'll be there Friday and part of Saturday until my wife realizes I've got the checkbook :D.
Looking forward to it and I'll make sure to stop by your booth Don.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-14-2010, 6:01 PM
Don,
I will be sure to stop by your booth. I've never met another one of the "brothers" in person. George, I will be easy to spot. Just imagine a kid in a candy shop. That will be me. Come to think of it, everyone there may have that same look. Maybe I'll wear a name tag instead. There won't be too many named "Faust". My wife agreed to come along. The poor thing must be starved for a day away from the grind. Sunday is her birthday and I have to find her something special. How do you think she would feel about a bowl gouge?? :-)
I promise to report when we come home.
faust

Jeff Nicol
06-14-2010, 6:29 PM
Faust, let me first say I am envious!! I would love to be going to Hartford, but it just isn't in the cards this year. Hope to go next year to St. Paul - and, I hope that a few of my turning buddies from up north will attend, as well!;)
John, I will be there, unless the world ends! I can stay at my daughters house so the lodging for me is handled! It should be a great thing, I wish I could go next weekend, but I would have to rob a bank or something to do it!

Jeff

Don Geiger
06-14-2010, 7:52 PM
Hi George:

It will be great to see you again! Thanks!

Don

Don see you there! G

George Morris
06-14-2010, 9:30 PM
Faust A Thompson bowl gouge would be a excellent present for her! You will be next to Doug booth. I will be the large bald guy there, I guess there may be more then one of us? Hope to see you there! G

Don Geiger
06-15-2010, 6:22 AM
I'll be the guy wearing the shirt that says "We are all one tool away from greatness!"

I'm looking for to meeting some of these Creeker's!!

Don Geiger

Alan Zenreich
06-15-2010, 7:26 AM
This is the first AAW symposium that my wife and I will be attending.

We would like to meet fellow creekers, put some faces to the names.

We don't know where we'll be when... as I'll be spending some time as a volunteer photographer for the AAW (my assignment is to document the instant gallery). So if you see someone with a grey beard trying to photograph lots of lovely pieces of wood, that's likely me.

I'll be happy to exchange cell phone numbers via private messages to anyone who'd like to meet, perhaps find a cup of coffee...

Looking forward to this weekend... arriving Friday morning.

Doug Thompson
06-15-2010, 9:58 AM
Take the time to see the vendor area during a demo, this is the best time to ask questions without being rushed. Also when you introduce yourself add that your from Sawmill... this helps relate the name, face and where we know you from. As a vendor it's tough to remember everyones name when you talk to hundreds everyday...

I'll be the guy dress in whatever shirt my wife packed in the suitcase.:D

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-15-2010, 1:01 PM
Alan,
A man with a camera is easy to find. Are the rest of allowed to take photos in the Instant Gallery or is that a no no?
Doug, after reading posts from all the fans of your tools I feel like I could never survive without owning them. I'm sure we'll meet.
faust

Chris Stolicky
06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
I will also be walking around taking pics for Ed. I hope I am allowed to bring it into the instant gallery even though that is not my 'official' assignment. I am surely not going to leave camera equipment anywhere out of my sight.

I will probably stand out more than others because I am roughly half the age of most woodturners I know, and also have more hair than they do. :D

I am looking forward to meeting more SMC'ers and seeing all of the 'candy' the vendors will have. I am planning on at least one more Thompson gouge, quite possibly two. I want to see the new deep fluted spindle gouge. I met Doug at Totally Turning 2009 and am looking forward to seeing him again. I'll never forget the look I got when I told him that I wanted the 5/8" spindle gouge for roughing down pens! [it actually works great on corian!]

There seems to be a gathering being developed for dinner Friday night at the Arch ____(blank on 2nd name right now) pub across the street from the Convention Center. All are welcome. 6 PM(ish), before the night sessions.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-17-2010, 3:47 PM
I had a dozen hats made up with "Sawmill Creek" embroidered on the front. I will try to find the guys who responded that they are coming and give them one. Hopefully, other Creekers will see the name and come up and introduce themselves. Not for "nuttin", I just thought it would be fun and a way to meet folks.
faust

Chris Stolicky
06-18-2010, 2:38 PM
Jimmy Clewes says, "Hi." :D