PDA

View Full Version : Possible mini gloat.....

David Nelson1
06-10-2010, 6:46 PM
Bought a Delta Unifeeder for 180.00 plus shipping. I have never seen one before and thought that I might be able to use it not only on the T/S, but my jointer and shaper. If that works I'll be one happy camper!!

Van Huskey
06-10-2010, 7:08 PM
I will be interested in hearing how well it adapts. I see them from time to time in the $150-200 range but never wanted to take a chance. The one you got is cleaner than most I see so I will give it a moderate:

You suck! :D

Now, if you are able to turn is into a UNIversal feeder (with pics of course) I will increase the volume on the suckage.

David Nelson1
06-10-2010, 7:22 PM
Yeah Buddie you'll see me doing the ole Fred Astaire routine if it works. Looking at the bottom it has a very generous slot for attaching it to the fence. The only thing might be it may working loose in operation. A couple of double nuts would stop vibration, but if mounted to a wood aux. fence some crushing could happen. I can't wait to get home I've been in Fl for the past 2 weeks with no time off. I finally get a day this Saturday.

David Nelson1
07-09-2010, 10:59 AM
and ran a board thru the feeder to see how well it's going to do. The photo and the mov. file will so that it did better than expected. I made the fence jig out of MDF and pine. I was concerned that the fence would move upwards as the wood was feed into the feeder. Not so much that, but the fact that the MDF is kinda soft, the feeder wiggled a bit.

I plan on build the real one based on what I have so far but to include 2 piece of hard wood for the fence and some sort of shim to ensure the fence is parallel with the blade.

I also feel that I need to clamp the ends of the fence with either large C clamps or some sort of a turn buckle arrangement. Looks as if the narrowest rip I can expect from this feeder is just shy of 2 1/2 inches. Wider boards are no problem either because it looks as if he have some sort of a rest on the left side of the machine. That piece of angle sticking out should have a wood face bolted to it or so the diagram pictates.

I'm hyped up to get his working! It also looks as if I can adapter it to my 6 inch jointer. More about that later.

Utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8BcqRQNJAg

Van Huskey
07-09-2010, 12:56 PM
As promised YOU SUCK!

Very cool setup. Has my mind running since you do see those pop up from time to time.

Rod Sheridan
07-09-2010, 1:52 PM
David, I use a feeder on a tablesaw, don't be afraid to run the blade into the wheels, that's why they're replaceable.

Looks like a cool feeder, I've never seen one before.

Regards, Rod

David Nelson1
07-09-2010, 3:21 PM
It fits on the jointer. I'll have to make a shim to offset the effect from the webbing on the back side of the fence but other than that I'm looking pretty good.

The front drive wheel does fit on the far side of the cutter so that is a good thing. I'll be cutting the reliefs on the back of flooring so I'm not to worried about direct pressure.

U tubes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGBu67RPShE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGBu67RPShE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbtDjXOU00 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsbtDjXOU00)

David Nelson1
07-09-2010, 3:24 PM
As promised YOU SUCK!

Very cool setup. Has my mind running since you do see those pop up from time to time.

One on Flea bay right now. it shows a bit more wear than one that I got.

David Nelson1
07-09-2010, 3:26 PM
David, I use a feeder on a tablesaw, don't be afraid to run the blade into the wheels, that's why they're replaceable.

Looks like a cool feeder, I've never seen one before.

Regards, Rod

I dont see a need to do that. Never can tell what ya might have to do LOL. Now I gotta find a manual and parts list.

Van Huskey
07-09-2010, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the pics on the jointer, I WILL be picking one of those up at some point, they are always cheap and my guess is because people don't have an idea how to use one.

David Nelson1
07-09-2010, 4:09 PM
I think I have a way to make it work on the shaper as well that will require a few feather boards. That project is a few weeks off more to come.

Dave MacArthur
07-10-2010, 7:42 PM
David,
THAT first Youtube video is surely the most heinous camera work I've ever seen! I was dizzy and feeling queasy by 30 seconds, and when I got a good look at your footgear and sock choice at 55 sec, my eyes started bleeding. It is a measure of how interested I am in your mini-feeder setup and using a jointer to do back-relief on flooring, that I watched the 2nd video.

Nice setup, by the way, YOU SUCK! ;)

I am interested in using the jointer to do back-relief on the flooring, essentially using the jointer as a face-moulder or something? Can you give more info? Do you replace the normal blade or something with a cutter?
Thanks! Mount that camera to a tripod next time, I thought you'd cut yourself the whole video... and wear socks ;)

David Nelson1
07-10-2010, 7:49 PM
David,
THAT first Youtube video is surely the most heinous camera work I've ever seen! I was dizzy and feeling queasy by 30 seconds, and when I got a good look at your footgear and sock choice at 55 sec, my eyes started bleeding. It is a measure of how interested I am in your mini-feeder setup and using a jointer to do back-relief on flooring, that I watched the 2nd video.

Nice setup, by the way, YOU SUCK! ;)

I am interested in using the jointer to do back-relief on the flooring, essentially using the jointer as a face-moulder or something? Can you give more info? Do you replace the normal blade or something with a cutter?
Thanks! Mount that camera to a tripod next time, I thought you'd cut yourself the whole video... and wear socks ;)

I think Amana has the relief knives for the planer. I have not called them to verify anything as of yet. Do you know how hard it is to get socks on with a bad back and bum hips LOL I'll do better next time. As matter of fact I do have a tri-pod.

Edit: Its not Amana. It's moldingknives.com that have a couple of back reliefs. Amana has the shaper profile I want to use.

David Nelson1
03-21-2011, 8:40 PM
I got a chance to try the feeder and Jig I made a few months back. It worked and kept the board against the fence, but bogged down after the first 40 inches or so. I finished the rip cut by hand. I was ripping 8' of oak 7/8 thick. I thought that the feed rate was too much for the saw in oak, so I tried a compairable size piece of popular almost the same outcome. Finally realized I had the crap OEM blade on it. Duh!!! Having said that I think it will work great with the Freud thin kerf rip blade. I tried to take a video, dead batteries. Go figure

Scott Vigder
03-23-2011, 4:30 PM
What you really need is a TRIPOD for the video camera

David Nelson1
09-28-2011, 7:10 PM
What you really need is a TRIPOD for the video camera

Yeah Scott your right! In the mean time I took a video of the Unifeeder and clap trap in operation with a Forest WWII 24 tooth blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w49X29gKyYs