PDA

View Full Version : New workshop Dust Collection

Jonathan Spool
06-10-2010, 6:39 PM
I am finally setting up my "Dream Shop" that is 38' x 46'. In my previous basement shop, I have been using a Jet DC1100c 1.5HP cannister dust collector.
It did ok considering I ran everything with corregated hose. Didn't do so well with the 12" Jointer though,maybe because it was at the end of the line.

The new shop is bigger and will have one post 23' out from one end. I plan to use this post as a singular drop point for the dust collection and electrical, as much as possible. So the ducting will run 30' from the dust collector to the post and then down to the floor where it will branch in one direction to pick up the Jointer, bandsaw, RAS, and Miter saw, and the other direction to pick up the 13" planer, 16" belt sander, table saw, spindle sander, and router table. From the same T that it heads from the ceiling to the floor at the post, it goes along the ceiling 18' over to the panel saw.
I will use rigid ducting or PVC this time around, and lone ranger gates at each tool. Yes, I know about the "risks" of PVC.
The question is whether I should invest in a new higher HP collector, or whether I can pick up a powered first stage to go inline with what I currently own?
My second question is, where I must run the ducting across the floor, as I do not want any drops at the tools, I would appreciate ways to make this more ameniable, if at all possible, short of busting up the slab to run it subgrade.
Since I'll be running short distances across the floor from the post to the tools, I'll utilize the same runs for the electrical so I don't have electrical drops at the tools. Naturally none of this is an issue for tools against the walls, only the tools in the middle of the shop.
I tried to upload a file scan of the shop. Not sure whether it worked.
Any constructive insight would be appreciated.
Jonathan (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webbbs/attach/messages/416/416463_1.pdf)

Anthony Whitesell
06-10-2010, 8:53 PM
Sorry. Posted in the wrong spot.

Rod Sheridan
06-10-2010, 11:11 PM
Hi Jonathan, the steps required are;

1) draw out your shop with your machines

2) determine how many CFM you need at each machine

3) run the static pressure calculation from Bill Pentz site and see what the static pressure values are for each machine/branch.

4) compare the CFM/static pressure against the dust collector fan curves.

That's the only way, sort of building the system and measuring the airflow, to determine whether it will work. Obviously it's less expensive to use some paper doing the design than having to rip it out and start again.

Regards, Rod.