PDA

View Full Version : The Pain of Stupidity

Bob Carreiro
06-10-2010, 4:52 PM
I was installing pocket screws to fasten aprons into cabriolet legs of a new French Provincial Desk I'm making when...

I didn't use a clamp. I had just finished attaching the front pair of legs. Now I moved to the rear pair. Since this pair only attaches to one side apron (drawer faces span leg to leg), I "thought" to simply apply pressure with one hand while driving with my other. Starting with the right leg, I held it in position with my right hand against the apron, and used my left hand to hold the drill fitted with a Kreg 6" square driver attachment. As I applied pressure with both hands, in toward one another, the driver tip slipped off the screw head and traveled at lightening speed directly into my palm (between thumb and forefinger) at a downward trajectory toward the center of the back-side of my hand. Rather than poking clean through, the driver formed a "tent" just below my skin as it tried to poke out. Had it been a drill bit instead, it would have drilled clean through and would have been less traumatic to the site. First thing tomorrow morning, I'm scheduled for surgery at Cape Fear Hospital.

They will open the puncture wound from front and back sides to excavate the driver's path. The driver tip had some Titebond II deposits along with wood dust and misc shop debris. To complicate matters, and making the surgery necessary and not an option, is that I take a daily blood-thinner and is the cause for the "mound" of blood building up on the backside of my hand where the aforementioned "tent" appeared. And as if that doesn't complicate matters enough, I had an strange allergic reaction this past Monday morning and went to Urgent Care where they shot me full with steroids and Benadryl to prevent my immune system from reacting - and so, the need to operate in a controlled environment under anesthesia to prevent infection.

I was soooo looking forward to assembling the desk this morning. I got up early to avoid the heat (no AC in the shop) and just as I was about to "leave for work" (am newly retired, and to NC), I stopped to pray and give thanks - a usual activity - for my home, wife, church... and this time, I also made a "strange request" that I work safely in the shop - I NEVER made that one before! Well, wouldn't ya know it! It just goes to show that, at least in this case, even God will not over-ride your stupidity!

Chris Nolin
06-10-2010, 5:07 PM
Oh my! Sorry to hear about that, Bob. I'll take your bad experience into the shop with me and try to prevent the same thing from happening to me. Thank you for the painful story. I hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

Joe Chritz
06-10-2010, 5:07 PM
, even God will not over-ride your stupidity!

God hears all prayers, even if sometimes the answer is no.

Thoughts for a quick recovery.

Joe

george wilson
06-10-2010, 5:08 PM
I saw 2 carpenters in the ER years ago. One had a 1/4" hole driven right through one finger,about at the base of his finger nail.

Jay Jolliffe
06-10-2010, 5:35 PM
For or five years ago my wife and I were framing our house and I was using a framing gun with 16 d spikes. Coil nails. I missed the stud & shot one in the back of my hand between the first & second finger. Lucky for me it just traveled under the skin & didn't hit any tendons or bone. The head of the nail was tight against the skin & the point was pushing the skin out on the top of my hand. My first thought was that's not suppose to be there so I grabbed the head & yanked it out. Forgetting that is was a coil nail with the little metal barbs from the wire that holds them together. Got black & blue, hurt for awhile & kept on working. I could say I was young & stupid but I did it when I was 52 not too young but stupid. :o

Andrew Nemeth
06-10-2010, 5:40 PM
Bob,
I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. I have "slipped" and stuck a Phillips bit into my hands and fingers multiple times. The wounds are never clean, take a long time to heal, and are always more painful than they look. I feel for you. Get better soon!

-Andrew

Karl Brogger
06-10-2010, 6:20 PM
Wow. Thats one messed up injury.

When I first started out it was for a laminate countertop company. I was putting a screw in at an angle though the faceframe of a cabinet and I slipped off the screw and some how managed to smash myself in the face with the driver tip while out installing. I Caught it just above the chin, yet luckily below any of the chompers. What could've been real messy just ended up being lotsa blood, one very small scar.

Roy Wall
06-10-2010, 6:48 PM
Bob -

Tough story......I know too well the pain of stupidity also.

Hang in there and prayers are with you for a full recovery. Take care and keep us posted.

Just a delay for a wonderful retirement with lots of safe woodworking....

Fred Voorhees
06-10-2010, 7:43 PM
Bob, we have all been there and done that. Whatis stupid is not learning from the stupid moves. Heal up soon and finish your project.

Ralph Okonieski
06-10-2010, 8:12 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope the surgery goes well.

Matt Brawley
06-10-2010, 8:22 PM
I know that pain all too well and hope you get feeling better. About 6 months ago I was installing a 240V outlet with 10 gauge wire and as I was trying to get the hooks on the wire to fit behind the screws with my screwdriver it slipped and ended up going right under my ring finger fingernail and gouging out at the cuticle. Needless to say I was done wiring for about a week. Took about 6 months for the fingernail to grow back. I won't be trying anything that dumb again.

Keith Westfall
06-10-2010, 8:23 PM
Ouch!! That hurt just reading it.

Hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

glenn bradley
06-10-2010, 8:26 PM
My hopes for a speedy recovery. Ouch!

Jim Rimmer
06-10-2010, 8:58 PM
I crushed my left index finger with a hammer a while back while swinging at a 16d nail (so I was swinging hard). I'm sure your thoughts were similar to mine afterwards "Why didn't I move my hand?" I've learned that a second of inattention can take a long time to recover.

Prayers and best wishes.

Rick Fisher
06-10-2010, 9:45 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery..

Good reminder to me to be careful.

Tullie Templet
06-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Stupid Hurts. I'm just getting over a stupid table saw accident so I know. Hope all turns out well for you. Good Luck !!!

C Scott McDonald
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Speedy recovery Bob!

I nailed my thumb to a mantle I was building when the nail gun slipped. I have a full appreciation for "lighting fast" :o I went to the hospital with the nail sticking out of my thumb and every nurse, doctor and everybody else had a samrt ass comment. Such zingers as "Looks like you need to trim your nails" and "that looks like a bad in grown nail!" Oh well it was minor I guess.

Get well soon.

Scott

Don Dorn
06-11-2010, 6:08 AM
Stupid Hurts. I'm just getting over a stupid table saw accident so I know. Hope all turns out well for you. Good Luck !!!

I was just going to post that while it was a bad deal, at least it wasn't a tablesaw accident so maybe God was listening. I hope you are ok and have all your digits.

Mike Wilkins
06-11-2010, 9:23 AM
Been there, done that. While in college, I was changing the wiper blades on my 1956 Chevy using a small Phillips head screwdriver. Holding the wiper in my left hand, pushing the screwdriver with my right, and it happened. Stabbed myself in the left hand; did not require a trip to the Dr. (young and stupid back then) but it was really sore for weeks.
Hope the surgery goes well.
Sounds like you are from the Wilmington area. Welcome.

Jim McDonald
06-11-2010, 1:19 PM
YIKES!!!! All that and a Hospital called "Cape FEAR"?? Makes me nervous just thinking about it!

Paul McGaha
06-11-2010, 5:14 PM
I hope you heal well Bob and back in your shop having fun soon.

PHM