PDA

View Full Version : Kreg tools mitre saw assessories

Joe Cowan
06-10-2010, 3:39 PM
I am planning on building a cabinet system for my new Festool Kapex mitre saw. Anybody use the Kreg parts for the extension tables on either side of their saw?Or any other system?

Tom Esh
06-10-2010, 5:51 PM
I have the Kreg Top Trak along with a couple of their flip stops on my extensions. Terrific system - simple and durable.

eric buggeln
06-11-2010, 7:56 PM
I move my Kreg set up everyday and it is still deadly accurate. Well worth the money and easy to calibrate. Eric

Thom Porterfield
06-12-2010, 4:23 AM
Because of space constraints I had to install my chop/miter saw in an alcove just 9 feet wide. For short stuff, it's fine. But it isn't fine to work on stock longer than 4 feet. To solve this problem, I put the saw on a cabinet with large fixed casters so that it can be pulled into the room. I also made the side fences slide out as well. The amount of movement is 10 inches, but it allows me to run longer stock past the limits of the alcove (out a door on one side and into the rest of the shop on the other). I designed the side fences to accept a Kreg system.

Or so I thought.

Because there is all this dead space behind the fence when it's in the "closed" position, I figured I'd make a shelf back there that is the height of the top of the fence. Looked good on paper. Looked great built.

Until the Kreg miter fence system arrived.

The blue rails fit on my fence as advertised, and the flip stop works great too. But there is a problem with the production stop. Kreg, in their ultimate wisdom, decided rather than use a little knob that fits into the T-track from the top like on the flip stop--they put this humungous star nob in back. There is no way it fits behind my fence when it's in the closed position.

sigh.

I solved the problem by purchasing a nylon bolt and a little plastic open-end wrench (that was hard to find!) and it holds the stop in place just fine. The nylon will wear out soon, but it's only 39¢. The larger problem is that I'll probably lose the little plastic wrench first.

I'd considered drilling and tapping the extrusion to allow me to install a t-bolt knob on the top. Unfortunately, at the place where that needs to go, the extrusion jogs so that I'd be more likely to ruin the thing than to fix it. I have a note in to Kreg suggesting they take a look at revising that stop.

Otherwise, the Kreg system is superb. I bought their miter guage for my TS, too, since the 65-year-old Delta one has seen many better days. For the money, I haven't seen much of anything better.

Joe Cowan
06-12-2010, 12:05 PM
which track to purchase, the top track or the heavy duty track?

Keith Westfall
06-12-2010, 12:33 PM
Why is it necessary to have a plastic wrench?

Thom Porterfield
06-13-2010, 3:08 AM
which track to purchase, the top track or the heavy duty track?
I bought the Precision Trak & Stop System, KMS8000 (http://www.kregtool.com/Precision-Trak-Stop-System-Prodview.html). You can see in the parts photo how large that rear knob is. Joe, my fence is 1/2" BB ply. The top track is perfectly adequate and it's a really slick system for production work. If you don't have the collision problem I do with the shelf I put behind it, you can install it just as they show in their promo video.

Why is it necessary to have a plastic wrench?
A plastic wrench isn't necessary at all. I used a modified sheet metal box wrench that comes with a bar-b-que grille to assemble it (the guy at Ace gave it to me). But I had in mind gluing the plastic wrench to the nylon bolt somehow to make it permanent. I haven't found a glue that'll do the job...yet. It really isn't important, actually. I can always dig out the Craftsman wrenches to tighten up the bolt. Or, I can tighten the bolt finger tight which holds well enough if I don't slam the stock up against the stop too hard.

Or, I can just order another flip stop, which solves the problem (doesn't have that huge rear knob). :D

Jay Allen
06-13-2010, 9:01 AM
I have the Kreg system on my saw at work. I really like it and because I don't have clearence problems, I actually prefer the bigger knob of the production stop. I like this system so much that I replaced mine with exactly the same thing after it was destroyed in a fire.