PDA

View Full Version : Moved threads

greg lindsey
06-10-2010, 2:22 PM
There were a couple of threads moved, links for laser engraving ideas and too cool for school. Where were they moved to or were they deleted due to forum rules. Do you guys not share laser files, I have some really cool ones I'd share but don't know the rules.:confused:

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 2:32 PM
Greg,

Forum rules are posted on the FAQ (linked from the title bar near the top). The websites linked to were customers of the poster (who sold laser systems), a hazy area when it comes to forum rules.

greg lindsey
06-10-2010, 2:45 PM
Dan,

Thank you. I didnt get to see the threads before they were moved so I didnt know they were linked.

What about the sharing of files.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 2:56 PM
Everyone is happy to see other designs and files. Anything you post here is considered open for public use per the agreement you "signed" when you joined SMC (do not post files you don't own the rights to), though you retain the rights to it. No posting links to other forums. The rules are pretty simple and open here.

Mike Null
06-10-2010, 5:20 PM
I moved both of the threads to the moderators forum. On Victor's thread there were quite a large number of links, many foreign, which we do not have time to check. I did look at a few and found them to be interesting but couldn't determine much else as they were not in English. The thread is under discussion on the moderator's forum but probably won't be returned.

The other thread was a link to a blog which is prohibited by SMC rules. Again, very interesting work but linking to a blog represents more risk than SMC is willing to take.

We encourage sharing of files as long as you have the rights to share. Many clip art files which are available for free use are not necessarily available for sharing.

SMC is a family forum with folks of all ages participating. We are fairly strict when it comes to links, blogs, other forums, and language.

greg lindsey
06-10-2010, 5:48 PM
Thank you Mike, I just want to thank you guys for allowing me to a part of this board. I am really enjoying the reading and have found many useful subjects. Just proves that you can teach on old dog new tricks. I only asked about the threads so that I can be sure that I follow the rules.

Rodne Gold
06-10-2010, 9:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with posting interesting stuff right on the board or direct links to it , if its appropriate
If linking can be seen as a commercial venture or the advertising of such items , then its a no go.

For EG , lets say we were discussing thick perspex and I either posted a pic or a link to my own site to show a few examples , thats considered ok.

If I initiate a post like "Thick perspex" and in it I link to my own commerical site and say "Hey guys , check this out - this is what I can do and this is what I charge" -- thats not really acceptable.

I did think the links in Victors posts were pretty interesting , and in some respects werent really advertising the sites he mentioned as being in outer siberia is not really relevant to N American purchasers - even as global as we are. However , they were his customers and in some way promotion for his co.
I have asked him to collate the 30 most interesting ideas , to write a note with em as to how why , when where , settings etc and post the pics directly here or a link to the specific item's picture. I think that will be a really good resource and will be easier seen to be contributing to the non commercial spirit of sharing and giving prevalant on this board.

Mike Null
06-11-2010, 5:48 AM
As Rodney has indicated with his remarks, the thread in question was moved to the mod forum where it was discussed. Rodney came up with a good suggestion as a result and I'm sure Victor will follow up and we'll have the benefit of seeing some work done in other countries.

Viktor Voroncov
06-12-2010, 2:49 AM
Was in business trip few days, have got PM and now need some time to think.