PDA

View Full Version : 26" rip saw

Dave Wisman
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Would like to purchase a new 26" saw filed rip. I like the Wenzloff saw offered by The Best Things website, but they are backordered. Anyone have suggestions to another quality rip saw?

David Weaver
06-10-2010, 1:32 PM
Would like to purchase a new 26" saw filed rip. I like the Wenzloff saw offered by The Best Things website, but they are backordered. Anyone have suggestions to another quality rip saw?

What are you looking to rip - short pieces for cabinet work, or general rough ripping to size rough stock or long boards?

4/4, 8/4?

If you have never sharpened saws, I would do two things (sort of learned from last week) - find a vintage saw that's been sharpened and is guaranteed straight by one of the guys who does it - like Daryl Weir, or Azmica on peebay.

The other thing I would do is get a cheap saw in a tooth size other than the one that you just got as a vintage saw (say, if you got a 5 or 5.5 tpi rip that's ready to go, get a finer tooth rip in an old saw to learn to file. You could even get a cheap old crosscut saw and refile it rip to learn the skill - that should be attainable for less than half a c-note in a nice straight saw that really only needs a touch-up).

But a vintage rehabbed saw should be dandy - as good as anything you can buy now, unless you're really picky about the position of the handle, or the look of the saw, etc.

Andrew Gibson
06-10-2010, 2:27 PM
If you like Mikes saws, I would say give him a call or shoot him an email. He will have lots of good advise and I'm sure if you ask him for a time frame for delivery he will have a decent idea.
I have 4 of his saws now, and I am very pleased with the quality of the tools and his customer service.

Rick Rutten
06-10-2010, 5:12 PM
Mike is backed up a bit but I can't say how long. I have three saw kits on order with him. He would be able to give you an accurate picture. Mark Harrel at Bad Axe may have some refurbished saws. They will probably be between $150-$200.

Rick

lowell holmes
06-10-2010, 9:03 PM
There is a nice Disston in the Sawmill Creek Classified section.

Thomas Nye
06-10-2010, 9:25 PM

Dave, I sent you a PM regarding the several RIP Saws I have for sale. PM me or email me with any questions.

Robert Rozaieski
06-10-2010, 9:52 PM
If you aren't married to the idea of a brand new saw, I might have another option for you. Disston D8 thumbhole rip, 26", 5 PPI. I'm working on finishing up the cleaning and sharpening of it now. It ain't as pretty as a Wenz, but it will perform well, and won't cost you as much (not that the Wenzloff saws aren't worth every penny; just finished a 20" panel saw kit myself ;)). PM me if interested.

Dave Wisman
06-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I will consider them all. I am looking forward to getting one so I can finally get started on a project I have in mind. Thanks again!