PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Gloat (again; just couldn't wait)

Mike Minto
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Believe it or not, I found a new, never used Glaser screw chuck in 1 1/4" x 8 tpi - online, and paid about half what a new one would have cost retail. Will post a pic tonight or tomorrow, depending on the mailman.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 1:15 PM
Mike, here we go again!!!:rolleyes::D Get us on the edge with anticipation......and, no pic. Not even a pic of a pic. I mean, not even a pic of a "for sale" ad.....nothing!!

Personally, I don't believe a word of it!;):D

David E Keller
06-10-2010, 4:48 PM
I think there are help groups for compulsive liars.:D

Mike Minto
06-11-2010, 5:36 PM
Here is my just arrived Glaser screw chuck, threaded for 1.25x8 - no longer available (although Highland Tools does have 3 threaded for 'Conover' lathes, they tell me). They could be used on other lathes with the appropriate adapter (runout?). Anyway, if you've never seen one, tada.

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 8:35 PM
OK, OK, I take it all back!! I believe you!

But, I do have a question. Is this used similar to a worm screw in a regular chuck? What are the advantages over a worm screw?

Oooops - guess that was two questions!

John Hart
06-11-2010, 8:42 PM
That's pretty nifty Mike. Sure looks like it beats ratcheting lag screws. I'm going to go rob a bank and get one. ;)

Mike Minto
06-11-2010, 8:56 PM
OK, OK, I take it all back!! I believe you!

But, I do have a question. Is this used similar to a worm screw in a regular chuck? What are the advantages over a worm screw?

Oooops - guess that was two questions!

John,

The fellow I spoke with at Highland Tools told me this is actually a medical 'bone screw' - don't know much more than that, other than this is one of Jerry G's 'legendary' pieces of woodturning equipment. BTW, the body of the chuck is T6 aluminum, if anyone was wondering (it came with the original instructional flyer). To digress, I don't think the tools with the red aluminum handles qualify for that distinction, since they were made after he sold his company; his original gouges had wood handles, and no 'labeling' at all. I see on the 'Hi-Tec' site that they are going to offer screw chucks, but who knows when they will actually be available for sale, or how they will compare to the originals. My best to Jerry, but in the future I think I'll stick with buying Thompsons (waiting for a 2 tool delivery now - stealth 'pre-gloat'!).

David E Keller
06-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Interesting point about the 'bone screw' origins of the piece. We take hardware out of people all the time, and now I'll have to look at every piece and wonder if I could make a screw chuck from it. It does look a little like part of a component used for repairing hip fractures...

Karl Card
06-11-2010, 11:15 PM
thats interesting.... If I get in a jam all I gotta do is cut my wrist open and I have 2 3 inch screws holding my wrist on my arm... I am sure they would like to hold some real wood...lol