PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants To See More---

Dale Thompson
11-26-2004, 8:28 PM
cabinet or bookshelf carcasses? Nobody, including me. So don't look! :p On the other hand, I did some shaker/mission furniture a couple of months ago and complained that "simple" stuff is harder to make than curvy, heavily routed stuff. With curvy stuff, the eye is distracted from my "mistakes" by the molded portions. When I try to do "simple" stuff, the viewer usually walks away looking like Popeye because of all the mistakes that he/she has detected. :o :eek:

The pics attached are of a "built-in" bookcase system that my son-in-law has requested as a Christmas present (#1 on his list). YOU GUESSED IT!! SIMPLE!! :eek: :eek: I might as well throw away my router bits!

I suppose that you noted the Duct Tape holding the unit together. Actually, I don't like the guy very much (he has gotten my daughter "in trouble" twice in the last three years). Therefore, I am trying to save on fasteners. I'm sure that the tape will not be that noticeable after staining and a few coats of Poly. ;)

By the way, this message is for you "newbies" who may think that "simple" really means "SIMPLE". :confused: It is also for you EXPERTS who can do EVERYTHING right! ;)

What say YOU? :)

Dale T.

Christopher Pine
11-26-2004, 9:09 PM
I know what you mean about somthing being "Simple". I am better than most experts as I will mess up a project for free most of the time and if I charge it is reasonable!
It looks great from here!

Chris

Bob Marino
11-26-2004, 9:45 PM

Dale T

Dale,

I say a real nice job! Isn't there an adage "simplicity is the essence of elegance"?

What finish have you chosen?

Bob

Dino Makropoulos
11-26-2004, 9:49 PM
The pics attached are of a "built-in" bookcase system that my son-in-law has requested as a Christmas present (#1 on his list). YOU GUESSED IT!! SIMPLE!! :eek: :eek: I might as well throw away my router bits!

Dale T.
Simplicity is simply beautiful. It shows a mature personality free from complex and secret desire's to show off but still good enough to temporally assemble the bookcases with duct tape in order to tell other's that simplicity is not so simple to come by this days. By the way, why don't you include other's at least in the veneer choice? Or is not choise at your woodworking supply house? I' see that you use rotary cut for the sides and plainsaw for the back's. What made you decide that? And the last question.
Do you really make this by yourself or with the help of your son in law?
Looking simply beautiful.
YCF Dino

Dale Thompson
11-26-2004, 10:03 PM
I know what you mean about somthing being "Simple". I am better than most experts as I will mess up a project for free most of the time and if I charge it is reasonable!
It looks great from here!

Chris

Chris,
Thanks!! Are you saying that you actually CHARGE for some of your stuff?? I have to PAY people to take MY stuff away! :( You MUST be better than most experts. :)

Dale T.

Jerry Olexa
11-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Dale Great job! I like your use of duct tape. Jerry

Dale Thompson
11-26-2004, 10:15 PM

Dale T

Dale,

I say a real nice job! Isn't there an adage "simplicity is the essence of elegance"?

What finish have you chosen?

Bob

Bob,
My son-in-laws favorite expression is that "form follows function". I always thought that the opposite was true. :D Albeit, I don't know the definition of EITHER word. :o

Please don't tell any of my friends or family about your "simplicity" quote. I can't live with any more criticism! :eek: ;)

The finish will be done down where my son-in-law lives (Oak Creek, WI.). He wants the finish to match the other four rooms that I have finished in his basement. I forgot the exact stain and the shelves will be actually "built-in" before they are finished. :confused: :rolleyes:

Dale T.

Ralph Morris
11-26-2004, 10:16 PM
No glue....no nails....just duct tape holding the whole unit together! Just kiddin! :D I bet u would be cutting off the tape when it is ready for stain/varnish? Nice wall to wall cabinets! Very neat lines.:)

Dale Thompson
11-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Simplicity is simply beautiful. It shows a mature personality free from complex and secret desire's to show off but still good enough to temporally assemble the bookcases with duct tape in order to tell other's that simplicity is not so simple to come by this days. By the way, why don't you include other's at least in the veneer choice? Or is not choise at your woodworking supply house? I' see that you use rotary cut for the sides and plainsaw for the back's. What made you decide that? And the last question.
Do you really make this by yourself or with the help of your son in law?
Looking simply beautiful.
YCF Dino

Hey Dino,
I will bring your first paragraph to my "Shrink" for a "Cheesehead" interpretation. Intelligent conversation is NOT one of my strengths. In fact, I can't think of any of MY "strengths". I wonder if that says something about moi?!? :confused:

Help from my son-in-law?? :D :D He calls an electrician to push the button on his garage door opener! He's a computer "geek" and, on a good day, knows what the acronym IT stands for. I don't! :eek:

By the way, Thanks!! :)

Dale T.

Dino Makropoulos
11-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Hey Dino,
Intelligent conversation is NOT one of my strengths. In fact, I can't think of any of MY "strengths". I wonder if that says something about moi?!? :confused:

By the way, Thanks!! :)

Dale T.

I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THAT DALE.

" I' know only one thing ...That I' know nothing."
that was the best of Socrates THE greatest teacher of all.
see you.

YCF dino

John Miliunas
11-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Hey Pesh, you coulda' at least used some of that wider masking tape instead of the duck tape. It would match a bit better! Hey, that's what I usually use! :D And ALL those holes! Mercy, you must've worked in a cheese factory at some point in your life! :D

OK, so in all seriousness, you really should've used masking tape! :D Lookin' good, my friend! "Simple" is good. Why for me, "simple" is all I understand, hence all I do! Nicely done, Pesh!!! :cool:

Mark Singer
11-26-2004, 11:11 PM
Dale,

Nice really nice I likeeee , looks beautiful!

Karl Laustrup
11-27-2004, 7:37 AM
Dale, it's looking pretty good. Might it gently fall off the vehicle around my area on it's way to SIL's place?;)
Oh, by the way, duct tape does come in many colors now, in case grey clashes with decor already established in home.

Karl

Kelly C. Hanna
11-27-2004, 8:03 AM
Very nice Dale! I like simple designs sometimes too. Don't toss the bits just yet....I'm sure you'll find another use for them!

Tyler Howell
11-27-2004, 8:53 AM
Great as always Dale. Now how do I get my PM to do that??

Ken Fitzgerald
11-27-2004, 3:51 PM
Dale.......looks good to me! How did you drill the holes for the adjustable shelves? Do you have a jig....if so, did you make the jig or did you buy it?

Dale Thompson
11-27-2004, 5:05 PM
Dale.......looks good to me! How did you drill the holes for the adjustable shelves? Do you have a jig....if so, did you make the jig or did you buy it?

Ken,
I just took a stick and marked off 1" intervals. I put the stick between two matching halves of the cases and marked them both at the same time. I then clamped a phony fence to my drill press and spaced it so that all of the holes would be 2 1/2" from the edges of the board.

One caution, I bought 1/4" brass shelf support pegs. A 1/4" drill gives a REAL sloopy fit because the pegs mike out at about .241". I'm glad I checked it before drilling. I put an old bit in my lathe chuck and used a diamond stick to "reduce" the diameter and give me a good fit. I guess that 5 mm is the industry standard for these pegs but I don't know how they match up with a 5 mm bit. I finally lucked out on something! :)

Dale T.

Kent Cori
11-27-2004, 6:03 PM
Dale,

I think they look great duct tape and all. I'm sure your daughter and SIL will love them. If not, you can always get a new SIL. :D

Marshall Harrison
11-27-2004, 7:07 PM
I have to PAY people to take MY stuff away
If I lived closer you wouldn't have to pay me to take your stuff.

Looks great Dale.

Dale Thompson
11-27-2004, 8:11 PM
Dale,

I think they look great duct tape and all. I'm sure your daughter and SIL will love them. If not, you can always get a new SIL. :D

Kent,
The SIL is better than nothing. I think I'll keep him and trade in the daughter. After all, look who raised her. She never had a chance from the start. ;) :eek: :) Thanks for the compliments - on the duct tape. ;)

Dale T.

Dale Thompson
11-27-2004, 8:15 PM
If I lived closer you wouldn't have to pay me to take your stuff.

Looks great Dale.

Marshall,
Thanks! How 'bout if I bring down a couple of cabinets and we can spend January and February deciding if you want them?? I only have twelve kids and MOST of them have Huber Law privileges. BRRRRR! :D :cool:

Dale T.