PDA

View Full Version : Box with Hinged Lid?

Cathy Schaewe
06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I was ruminating over Keeton's latest masterpiece last night, when I couldn't sleep. (Probably should have just given up and gone to the lathe:rolleyes:)

And I was wondering whether I could make a box like that (ok, not like that, but to the best of my ability!), but with a hinged lid to open it. I got stuck on putting the hinge on a curved edge. There's probably some simple solution, and I just am not aware of it.

Any thoughts, anybody?

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Cathy, "masterpiece" is certainly a stretch!!! But, you do pose a very interesting idea - what about this (http://www.soss.com/catalog/soss/barrel.asp)?

Cathy Schaewe
06-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Cathy, "masterpiece" is certainly a stretch!!! But, you do pose a very interesting idea - what about this (http://www.soss.com/catalog/soss/barrel.asp)?

I think masterpiece is exactly the right word!

I was looking at the barrel hinges at one of the on-line hardware sites. It seemed to me you couldn't put two in, and wouldn't one twist? Maybe if you cut a flat edge along the back of the box you could do two, but that would defeat the purpose!

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I actually think one would work. While I have not used these, the box builders use them a lot. The SOSS hinges are very high quality (and not cheap), and they have no slop or play in them.

For a lightweight application I think it would work - not sure about the clearance issue, but I think they retract into themselves in operation and may do fine.

John Hart
06-10-2010, 1:36 PM
The barrel hinges are pretty nice. It seems like you need lots of material to work with....which is something a turner tries to avoid in the end piece.

I was looking at some round glass boxes, and they use regular ol' standard hinges. I thought that was interesting

You could turn a groove in both the lid and body...then mount the hinge halves in the grooves.

Then I learned how to make my own hinges here (http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/15165/making-a-wooden-hinge-for-a-box)
I suppose, if you got some really dense wood...a magnifier, and some good itty-bitty dremel bits....you could make a pretty cool hinge.

I also thought about a vertical pivot hinge...but the clamshell lid-to-body interface would have to be slidable (Is slidable a word? :confused:)

Anyway...thanks Cathy...you sent me on an adventure. :)

Mark Burge
06-10-2010, 1:59 PM
Because of the roundness of the pivot point, I would think a cloth hinge would work. It would be somewhat like a rolltop on a rolltop desk. You could use a small piece of cloth in the middle. A chain or string could be used to limit how far back the hinge goes. Interesting thought Cathy.

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2010, 3:28 PM
I've tried to locate an example of a hinge that I remember but couldn't find one anywhere. Very small wire hinge that you drill 2 small (1/16" or so) holes and glue the arms in place. Along the lines of 2 interconnected wire staples - nothing fancy but it would keep the lid from falling off. I seem to remember that it was used on craft type items when you had minimal wood to work with.

Maybe someone knows what I am trying to remember.... or it's just old-timers kicking in...... again.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2010, 3:43 PM
Cathy,

A turner in our local club has used these a number of times with really good affect, and with different size boxes and shapes. Some have been quite stunning.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/main/box-hinges.jpg

Cathy Schaewe
06-10-2010, 4:05 PM
I've tried to locate an example of a hinge that I remember but couldn't find one anywhere. Very small wire hinge that you drill 2 small (1/16" or so) holes and glue the arms in place. Along the lines of 2 interconnected wire staples - nothing fancy but it would keep the lid from falling off. I seem to remember that it was used on craft type items when you had minimal wood to work with.

Maybe someone knows what I am trying to remember.... or it's just old-timers kicking in...... again.

I've seen those - it's almost like the metal piece from a tiny clothespin. Hadn't thought of that.

Cathy Schaewe
06-10-2010, 4:06 PM
Cathy,

A turner in our local club has used these a number of times with really good affect, and with different size boxes and shapes. Some have been quite stunning.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/main/box-hinges.jpg

If I could, I'd have a hidden hinge. If I can't find what Steve suggests, or if it's not sturdy enought, this may be the best alternative.

Thanks to all!

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2010, 4:20 PM
Interesting idea Cathy. I am going to have to think about that one especially since I will have lots of time to do that on the way home.

John Beaver
06-11-2010, 1:14 AM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1443007]I actually think one would work. While I have not used these, the box builders use them a lot. The SOSS hinges are very high quality (and not cheap), and they have no slop or play in them.

The SOSS hinges are pretty neat, however I don't think you could get away with just one small one. You would have to leave the walls thick enough to handle the diameter of the barrel and thus create a lid that was too heavy in proportion to the hinge. I suppose it could be a possibility on a small diameter piece but I feel like the small SOSS hinges would still move around on you. I would consider using two side by side with a minimum gap between them. You could certainly test them on a piece of scrap first.

I also build and fly model airplanes, and you might look into the hinges used for the ailerons / elevator / rudder etc. They make some that slide into a small slit and some that go into a small hole. You could fit them into a 1/4 - 1/8 inch or less vessel wall. Any hobby shop should have them.

Here's a link of some samples.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0091p?&P=RH&C=QFE&V=DUB

Fred Perreault
06-11-2010, 8:06 AM
Cathy, it seems that hinges might be less than ideal if there is no stop for them so as to prohibit opening and flopping back. Eventually that would cause fatigue in the hinge or the wood. Of course, if we could all produce stuff like Keeton's Korner, then it is unlikely anybody would be opening, much less fiddling with, such fine artwork. I have seen tiny hinges of the kind Steve mentioned, and they had a small folded piece of flat springy stuff that created a positive stop upon opening (less that 90 degrees) and then helped to snap the lid closed. Of course, I can't find them in any of the piles of magazines I have saved. And I still can't find find eggs for 99 cents a dozen nor beer at $3.99 a case...... oh, well

Curt Fuller
06-11-2010, 6:21 PM

I'm thinking along the same lines as Steve. I've made stained glass boxes using brass tube and rod for hinges. If you figure out a way to connect the two into a wood box it might make a simple and inconspicuous hinge for a wooded box.
http://www.warner-criv.com/search/search.aspx?type=search&strSearch=hinge