PDA

View Full Version : Hunter or Easy Wood tools ?

Bob Aumock
06-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Hello all, I recently started turning, had a couple of one day classes/workshop last summer with Alan Leland & Mark St Leger which got me started. Purchased a lathe and most of the basic tools etc this past winter and have a couple of fairly decent bowls & candle sticks to my credit... as you all know...a lot to learn !! For all you veteran turners, based upon your experience which do you find more favorable for hollowing and finish cutting bowl interiors...Hunter or Easy Wood tools ? Thx for your opinions/input.

Bob

bob svoboda
06-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I normally use a 1/2" bowl gouge and finish with some light cuts with a round nosed scraper. Haven't tried the Hunter or EW finisher. I do use theCi1 rougher and really like that tool.

David Warkentin
06-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the vorte, errr, forum. I use easy wood tools. Works great!! David

Paul Douglass
06-10-2010, 12:14 PM
You might want to check out the Wood Chuck Pro also. Awesome tool.

Tim Rinehart
06-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I've made my own versions of both EWT and Hunter, and I have a Hunter Swan Neck.

I like the EWT Easy Rougher design for roughing, it takes some serious stock off otherwise difficult blanks without batting an eye. However, I finish off by using a bowl or other HSS tool to get a smooth finish for outside work.

I've used the swan neck Hunter tool with varying degrees of success, but just last night, I had a chance to use it again to hollow a small item completely, but I paid attention to how I applied the tool inside the form and was able to avoid vibration and got alot more material out efficiently, and this was a piece of burl...so pretty tough stuff.

If you want to hollow with carbide/Hunter, take a look at www.lylejamieson.com and his articles. You'll find a great description on how to use the tool and not be frustrated. This forum has a lot of posts on these tools if you search also.

Good luck and welcome.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Bob, welcome to the creek! And, to the VORTEX!!

I have not personally used their tools, but I have watched them in use - impressive. Going tonite to a demo for their new hollowing tool.
http://mmc.woodcraft.com/UserImages/EWT%20Hook%20Tool%20sm.jpg

Tim Rinehart
06-10-2010, 12:48 PM
John,
Is that a EWT or Hunter new release tool? Pretty dramatic curve on it...wow. Looks like EWT style carbide.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 1:10 PM
Tim, it is the EWT tool. I think it is still in prototype stage, but it is being demonstrated at Woodcraft tonite. I am aware that there was a demo a couple of weeks ago in Louisville, as well.

Dave Mueller
06-10-2010, 2:52 PM
John,
How about an update after you see it tonight?

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 3:10 PM
I will do that!

Kevin Lucas
06-10-2010, 4:45 PM
definitely check it out John. It's a very cool tool. Let us know what you think.

Brian Greb
06-10-2010, 6:39 PM
Bob, welcome to the creek! And, to the VORTEX!!

I have not personally used their tools, but I have watched them in use - impressive. Going tonite to a demo for their new hollowing tool.
http://mmc.woodcraft.com/UserImages/EWT%20Hook%20Tool%20sm.jpg

I want one already!:D

Richard Dooling
06-10-2010, 6:40 PM
I'm also very interested. I just bought the Ci0 Easy Finisher and for a new turner this has been a pleasure to use.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 8:45 PM
Well, here is the report - such as it is! I did not get to personally use the tool, but I did get to see it in use.

This is the tool for scale.
The demonstrator first drilled a 1" hole, and used the EWT Ci0 Easy Finisher to get the bulk out of the form.
Then he started with the hollowing tool. It appeared to be a little more "catchy" than did the finisher, but I would think that would be expected. It cut very quick and clean, and with very little visible vibration after the first couple of runs to clear off the ridges from the rough hollowing. I wish I could speak from personal use, but there was not an opportunity for that.
As I understand, there are actually three prototypes - this one, a much larger and heavier tool, and no description was given of the third. No pricing was mentioned, and the Woodcraft owner had not been informed on pricing.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 8:47 PM
And, for my stealth gloat - while I was there, the Woodcraft owner put an instant sale on some wood, and I walked out with this 14x6x10 curly maple chunk for about $40! I was happy!:D:D:cool:

I see at least 4 hollow forms in that chunk!!

brian watts
06-10-2010, 8:56 PM
Well, here is the report - such as it is! I did not get to personally use the tool, but I did get to see it in use.

This is the tool for scale.
The demonstrator first drilled a 1" hole, and used the EWT Ci0 Easy Finisher to get the bulk out of the form.
Then he started with the hollowing tool. It appeared to be a little more "catchy" than did the finisher, but I would think that would be expected. It cut very quick and clean, and with very little visible vibration after the first couple of runs to clear off the ridges from the rough hollowing. I wish I could speak from personal use, but there was not an opportunity for that.
As I understand, there are actually three prototypes - this one, a much larger and heavier tool, and no description was given of the third. No pricing was mentioned, and the Woodcraft owner had not been informed on pricing.

did you by the way get a pic of how wide it was with a tape on it? brian

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 9:09 PM
Brian, this is the only other image I have of the tool itself - sorry!

brian watts
06-10-2010, 9:31 PM
And, for my stealth gloat - while I was there, the Woodcraft owner put an instant sale on some wood, and I walked out with this 14x6x10 curly maple chunk for about $40! I was happy!:D:D:cool:

i see a few good turkey calls out of it..lol good looking block you have there

Jake Helmboldt
06-10-2010, 9:58 PM
Bob, do some poking around and look into making an Oland tool. I made one along with a swan neck so I could start hollowing. The two tools cost me all of about $10, if that.

I roughed out a 16" beech bowl earlier this week and was about 2/3 done using my gouges as I typically have when I thought to give the Oland a try. Man, for roughing the inside of that bowl it just hogged off wood and was less work than using the gouge. My shoulders thanked me for that. It certainly didn't leave a clean cut, but for roughing out a blank it makes easy work of it.

David E Keller
06-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Nicely done. That's an interesting looking tool, but it seems like the curve is really pronounced which would make it grabby. I'm not sure I would want/need that much of a hook.

That's a really nice looking chunk of curly maple. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished products. I'd imagine the grain will pop with a little coloring on at least one of those four hollow forms.

Dave Mueller
06-11-2010, 11:31 AM
John,
Thanks for the report and excellent pictures. I made a swan neck hollowing tool using the EWT round cutter for my articulated arm tool, but have not had a chance to use it yet. I has always wondered why they did not make a hollowing tool, but guess I now have my answer.

Again, thanks.

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Dave, the Monster articulated system now has a carbide cutter with it, and I am interested in seeing how it works, as well.

Keith Burns
06-11-2010, 2:12 PM
I was fortunate enough to be asked to try a prototype of this tool. Like all of the easy wood tools this one is designed to be held parrallel with the lathe bed and to cut on center. This particular goose neck tool is no different except it is designed to have the large flat surface on the tool rest. Like the guy in the photo I started with the tool rest close to the piece, because thats the way I do it with normal tools, and I had some chatter but once I moved the rest back like it should be the catchieness and control problems went away. It is also my understanding that there will be more than one "curve" layout to fit the users needs. The photo shows one of the pieces I did completely with the easy wood tools. It is box elder and measures 4" diameter x 2-1/4" tall with a wall thickness of 1/8".

John Keeton
06-11-2010, 2:32 PM
Keith, the followup is appreciated! Nice looking form BTW!!

Good comments regarding the rest position. When the demonstrator was using the tool, my thought at the time was that he needed to make use of the larger flat area of the tool behind the swan neck. It is considerably wider than is the square shank of the other Ci tools, and I am sure it is for the purpose of counteracting the torque of the side cut.

I might add, that while most of the cuts I observed were pulling cuts from the depth toward the rim - the demonstrator also made some very smooth push cuts, as well. I did not observe any difference in the movement (vibration) of the tool with either direction.

Dave Mueller
06-11-2010, 4:51 PM
John,
Thanks for the info. It appears from their website that it is a flat carbide cutter like the EWT rather than a dished Hunter. I have both and prefer the flat EWT. Although it does not give quite as good a surface on side grain as the Hunter, it is not near as "grabby" as the Hunter even when it is used at an angle. The EWT flat carbide leaves a glass smooth surface on end grain. Also the EWT flat carbide can easily be sharpened by turning it upside down on a diamond hone (you can get it pretty sharp that way and it should last forever).

Richard Dooling
06-11-2010, 5:06 PM
John, thanks for the review. I wonder when we will start seeing these for sale.

Dave, I though that these could be user sharpened. I'm thinking maybe I'll keep one factory sharpened cutter aside for finishing cuts and a shop maintained cutter for more general work.

Would you please post how fine a diamond stone you are using?

Dave Mueller
06-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Richard,
Sorry for the late reply - have been travelling.

Regarding the diamond stone, I have a 600 grit (fine) "credit card" sized hone I got from woodcraft. It really polishes the top surface very nicely, and seems to be sharper that when received from EWT. I am going to the AAW meeting next weekend and want to pick up the Alan Lacer hone. I used one when I took a class at David Mark's, and it seemed to be much better quality. It should be at $88. In addition to the flat, it has two rounded edges, much like a slip stone for carving chisels, that worked nice to hone the flute on gouges. Long answer to a short question, but I have used many diamond hones before and the Lacer one seems to be the best.

Dave

Scott Hackler
06-13-2010, 11:48 PM

4 HF's?? I see 1 nice sized bowl! Perfect for a center piece on a dining room table. :) Oh, and maybe something small with the cut offs.

John Keeton
06-14-2010, 6:53 AM
Scott, I actually ended up getting 6 blocks from the maple!! Can't imagine taking a piece that size and making a bowl when I can have 6 times the fun!!:D:D;) Besides, this way I can dye each one of them a different color!:D:eek:

Chris Merriam
06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
John, I was at that turn and learn, I must have missed you, often wondered if you popped over to that woodcraft.

Regarding tool placement, the demonstrator (who was using the tool for the first time!) initially placed the large square section on the rest, then later learned that you can safely anchor much closer to the cutting tip.