PDA

View Full Version : Need a cheap Epilog rotary - build?

Harper Abbot
06-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I am in need of an Epilog rotary fixture, but can't find a used one around. I really can't do Epilog's $1200 right now, and was thinking of building one. Has anyone done this on the cheap, did it work, and what was the cash outlay?

Just want to investigate the option.

Anthony Scira
06-10-2010, 1:11 PM
I think some people have made there own on this forum. And yes it would be cheaper. But unless you know what you are doing and have the proper electronic training I would be very cautious about plugging anything into my laser for fear of blowing something like a motherboard.

Might make you wish you had ponied up the 1200......

David Fairfield
06-10-2010, 1:29 PM
Ask around for a used one, I'm sure you can find somebody who'd be happy to dump theirs.

(Hey Steve... here's your chance :D)

Dave

Joe De Medeiros
06-10-2010, 1:48 PM
I think some people have made there own on this forum. And yes it would be cheaper. But unless you know what you are doing and have the proper electronic training I would be very cautious about plugging anything into my laser for fear of blowing something like a motherboard.

Might make you wish you had ponied up the 1200......

There was talk about this on the Facebook fan page.

from facebook

If you're looking to use our rotary motor and will design your own attachment, we recommend getting that directly from our tech support team (303.215.9171), as it’ll have the connector and correct wiring already in place. Let us know if you have any questions.

Amy
(Epilog Laser)

Chris DeGerolamo
06-10-2010, 2:27 PM
You can get a motor from Lin Engineering. As long as it has not changed, here is the motor no:

5609S-11-02RO

I would suggest getting the molex connector from Epilog though as that you more than likely will not find it in retail.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 2:34 PM
I don't see Epilog making enough machines to warrant a custom Molex connector... post a pic and I bet it's a standard part I could find in their catalog.

AL Ursich
06-10-2010, 2:45 PM
I asked around on the Forums and got 2 answers... $300.00 and $600.00..... I bought the $300.00 one and just needed new O rings....

I would post here and Engraving Etc and any other place you can find.

Last time I posted a reply like this, I got 3 requests to buy my rotary...

Sorry still need it...:eek:

AL

Chris DeGerolamo
06-10-2010, 3:07 PM
I don't see Epilog making enough machines to warrant a custom Molex connector... post a pic and I bet it's a standard part I could find in their catalog.

It is an 8 pin molex connector...do not have the means to post a picture right now. Sure, you can find it in a catalog, but Epilog will include the wire 'pigtails' (if you will) already seated rather than punching them in yourself.

We had some rotary issues late last year and trying to put the pin on the wire and punching it through with the proper tool is aggravating enough to warrant buying it already done...

Rick Irwin
06-10-2010, 7:30 PM
Here is close up pic for Epilog rotary

Scott Shepherd
06-10-2010, 7:55 PM
Already been done and figured out on the creek by a couple of folks here.....

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71091&highlight=rotary

Harper Abbot
06-10-2010, 8:00 PM
posted in the classifieds, just to see if anything comes up. meanwhile, I'm gonna take a look at putting together a highly simplified (i.e. janky) version.

Thanks for the input so far. will post back with anything i come up with.

Joe De Medeiros
06-11-2010, 9:05 AM
They never published the pin out for the connector, so the info is incomplete.

Dan Hintz
06-11-2010, 10:35 AM
The pinout will be the same as the Y-axis motor. Pop the cover off and copy it...

Dave Johnson29
06-11-2010, 11:14 AM
and was thinking of building one. Has anyone done this on the cheap, did it work, and what was the cash outlay?

Hi Harper,

A year or more back, I built a couple of prototypes (I have a lot of CNC metalworking machinery) but there did not seem to be much interest here so I never went further with the building.

I will have a look and see what parts I kept. I may be able to piece something together as a freebie for you. I am not sure what (if any) prototype parts I kept. You would need to get the stepper motor. It was a standard NEMA 23 mount, 0.9deg / step from memory and it will bolt straight into the prototype.

No promises so don't rush out and buy that stepper yet. It was a long time back and I am pretty ruthless about hoarding "junk." :)

To save you asking, yes, I do have the CAD and CAM to make them, but no, I cannot make one for you. Set-up time for CNC machines can often take more than 10 or 20-times the actual machining time. A one-off would probably cost more than the over-the-counter $1200 version. :D

Joe De Medeiros
06-14-2010, 9:26 AM
The pinout will be the same as the Y-axis motor. Pop the cover off and copy it...

You know sometimes the answer is there staring you in the face and you just don't see.

Joe Motley
06-14-2010, 3:50 PM
I bought one from justlasers.com. Good price and condition.