PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly jointer old PM motor

Paul Steiner
06-10-2010, 10:24 AM
It looks like my school will finally get the funds to buy a replacement jointer. I will have about $600 and I will likely get a 2hp 8" model from grizzly. This will replace a 3phase, 2hp 8" powermatic that has bad bearings and a broken table, however the motor is fine.
The problem is my room is wired for 3 phase and the new jointer will likely be single phase. Getting the county to put in a new single phase outlet is a mess of red tape and will probably take 6 months. Wiring it myself is not an option because county policy is that it has to be done by an electrician.
My solution is to swap motors so I can put the jointer into use. I am allowed to hook up and wire machines. My first question is will it fit? What do the motor mounts on a grizz look like compared to a PM? Next question is can you think of a better solution? I would love to hear your input.

Fred Belknap
06-10-2010, 11:33 AM
First thing I would is call Grizzly and see if they will swap motors. For a school they might. Heck they might donate one.:)

Kirk Poore
06-10-2010, 11:54 AM
You might be able to order the jointer with a three phase switch and without a motor. I'm sure it would save some money.

Oh, and if the bearings are bad on the jointer they probably need to be changed on the motor too.

Kirk

Paul Steiner
06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I would like a 3 phase motor in the new jointer, but I think it will not fit the budget.
I called grizz and they said all machines get motors, no exceptions.

Andrew Nemeth
06-10-2010, 12:52 PM
What about using the money to rebuild the old jointer. I would think $600 would be plenty to replace bearings and broken parts.

Simon Dupay
06-10-2010, 5:31 PM
What about using the money to rebuild the old jointer. I would think $600 would be plenty to replace bearings and broken parts.
I argee with this that powermatic is much better machine then that grizzly will ever be you should be able to fix that table or find a replacement table that will fit.

Paul Steiner
06-10-2010, 9:44 PM
Unfortunately the jointer can not be repaired the damage pretty bad and you can see in the thread. Long story short I have repaired 5 machines already, its time for a replacement. I have access to a large county budget for repairs, but the repair is to complicated and expensive. Basically I have been told get a new jointer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121860

Andrew Nemeth
06-10-2010, 9:58 PM
I wish I were closer, I'd take the powermatic off your hands. It does look like a bit of work, but I'm a sucker.

george wilson
06-10-2010, 9:58 PM
We had a real bad time with a new PM jointer that our millwork shop got. The tables were terribly out of alignment. As toolmaker,I was asked to look at it. With a 4' straight edge,the outfeed table drooped about 3/16" at its rear end. All I could do was pack a pile of shims in the dovetails,which isn't a decent solution. I HAD urged them to buy a Bridgewood like my personal machine. I paid a fraction of the cost of their PM. They didn't listen.

I ordered a new cheapest model 8" jointer from Grizzly for my job before I retired. Our 1950's Delta had some table wear problems. The new Grizzly was exceedingly accurate. I got a discontinued model,and it was very cheap.

I think your Grizzly will be very satisfactory.If it isn't,they will make it right. I'm sure there will be plenty of room for your old motor.

Brian Ross
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
I can certainly understand Grizzly's position but considering the reason you need the 3 phase and it is for educational purposes that a E Mail sent to the President of Grizzly may get you a different answer. He does seem to be a very understanding person.

Brian

Rod Sheridan
06-10-2010, 11:00 PM
It looks like my school will finally get the funds to buy a replacement jointer. I will have about $600 and I will likely get a 2hp 8" model from grizzly. This will replace a 3phase, 2hp 8" powermatic that has bad bearings and a broken table, however the motor is fine.
The problem is my room is wired for 3 phase and the new jointer will likely be single phase. Getting the county to put in a new single phase outlet is a mess of red tape and will probably take 6 months. Wiring it myself is not an option because county policy is that it has to be done by an electrician.
My solution is to swap motors so I can put the jointer into use. I am allowed to hook up and wire machines. My first question is will it fit? What do the motor mounts on a grizz look like compared to a PM? Next question is can you think of a better solution? I would love to hear your input.

If the two machines are the same voltage, you could run the single phase machine from the 3 phase circuit if the breaker is large enough.

Since the breaker most likely would be 15 amperes you may be OK if the voltage is suitable.

Regards, Rod.

Steve Bracken
06-11-2010, 4:35 AM
I can certainly understand Grizzly's position but considering the reason you need the 3 phase and it is for educational purposes that a E Mail sent to the President of Grizzly may get you a different answer. He does seem to be a very understanding person.

Brian

He is understanding, but you will likely not get a different answer unless he feels like donating.

Grizzly specify all their machines, from the factory, with motors. To change that would be time-consuming and expensive.

A better solution might be to buy the machine, swap the motors and sell the brand new Grizzly motor you no longer need.

Matt Meiser
06-11-2010, 7:42 AM
I'd check into running it off your 3 phase first. I'm sure changing out the motor will void your warranty (and rightfully so.)

If its 120/208 and the CB is at least 20A call tech support ask them if 208V (which is 5.5% under the rated voltage) is an acceptable voltage for the motor. If so like Rod said you can run it off 2 legs of the 3-phase circuit.

Or barring that, what about calling local electrical contractors or the closest local of the IBEW and asking for a donation of a couple hours labor and maybe materials?

Kirk Poore
06-11-2010, 10:23 AM
Unfortunately the jointer can not be repaired the damage pretty bad and you can see in the thread. Long story short I have repaired 5 machines already, its time for a replacement. I have access to a large county budget for repairs, but the repair is to complicated and expensive. Basically I have been told get a new jointer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121860

Contact Redmond Machinery in Atlanta. http://www.redmondmachinery.com/

They may have the base casting you need.

Kirk

Matt Meiser
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Good luck with that. Redmond wouldn't return multiple phone calls or emails from me on PM parts a year or so ago. It sounded like there is 1 guy who knows what's going on with them.

Kirk Poore
06-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Good luck with that. Redmond wouldn't return multiple phone calls or emails from me on PM parts a year or so ago. It sounded like there is 1 guy who knows what's going on with them.

I have had better luck with them. I was able to get some parts for my PM 30 sander in a reasonably short amount of time.

Kirk