PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with Griz slider attachment?

Maik Tobin
06-10-2010, 9:15 AM
I have narrowed my new saw down to the Griz GO690 and was thinking of adding the slider attachment http://www.grizzly.com/products/Sliding-Table-Attachment/T10223
Has anyone used or even seen it?

Peter Aeschliman
06-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I second your request for feedback. The only person who I have seen on this forum who has one is Jeff Mackay. He bought the same table saw. I asked him to provide a review a week or two ago, but apparently he hasn't set up the sliding table yet.

I would love to get one of these for my sawstop sometime in the future if people like them.

Aaron Wingert
06-10-2010, 3:01 PM
Shiraz might be a bit biased, (:D) but perhaps he'll weigh in with some more information on the slider. The catalog doesn't give a heck of a lot of info about it. Besides Jeff, I haven't seen anyone on this site mention having one. I'm about to buy a G0691 and may consider the slider as an upgrade down the road.

David Hostetler
06-10-2010, 4:24 PM
I have a MUCH lower end saw with a sliding miter table (Ryobi BT3100), and wouldn't be without an SMT now... I would imagine that Grizzly table would be just as useful...

FWIW, If I were in the market to upgrade my table saw, my saw setup with be a G0691 (G0690 with the long rails) with the slider, and cast iron router extension on a mobile base.

Maik Tobin
06-10-2010, 4:29 PM
I have a MUCH lower end saw with a sliding miter table (Ryobi BT3100), and wouldn't be without an SMT now... I would imagine that Grizzly table would be just as useful...

FWIW, If I were in the market to upgrade my table saw, my saw setup with be a G0691 (G0690 with the long rails) with the slider, and cast iron router extension on a mobile base.

Just curious, wht the GO691 as opposed to the 1023?

Steve Kohn
06-11-2010, 4:38 PM
A good friend has the grizzly slider on his 1023. He loves it and uses it all the time. Of course he is also a machine designer, mechanical engineer and machinist so he tweaked it until it works better than most sleds do.

What else do you wish to know? I can easily ask his opinion.

Ray Bell
06-11-2010, 5:04 PM
Does this slider get in the way while making rip cuts. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just have never seen one of these up close and personal. Just always wondered if you had to remove it for ripping?

Aaron Wingert
06-11-2010, 5:21 PM
Not sure if it is relevant to your decision making, but when I ordered my G0691 from Grizzly this morning they offered me the sliding table attachment at $100 less than the usual retail price. I declined...A decision I'm sure I'll regret! :rolleyes:

Steve Kohn
06-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Does this slider get in the way while making rip cuts. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just have never seen one of these up close and personal. Just always wondered if you had to remove it for ripping?

No he doesn't take the table off. He shoves it to the front, removes the fence on the sliding table and rips like normal. It is like having an extra wide wing on the left side of the saw.

He has set the sliding table about 30 thousands above the height of the main table to avoid dragging the work piece while cross cutting using the sliding table.

John Harden
06-12-2010, 1:02 AM
Its is likely better than a high end mitre gauge or sled, but still has limitations.

The most recent iterations of sliders are designed to rip 8' long boards or sheet goods. I rarely use sheet goods and bought a Felder with a 9 foot slider. All my ripping is to the left of the blade with me to the left of the slider, at least 2 feet away from the blade at all times.

This is how a slider is meant to be used.

If you're inclined to Grizzly tools, they also sell true sliders, including one made in Germay that I saw up close at AWFS. Very nice and as you'd expect, also very beefy.

Not nearly as refined as the MM or Felder offerings, but at 1/2 to 2/3 their price, a definite bargain.

Regards,

John