PDA

View Full Version : Greasy hand grinder

Joel Goodman
06-10-2010, 12:54 AM
I picked up an old "Keystone Railroad" hand grinder. It's pretty massive with a 7" X 1 1/4+" wheel. It's really filthy and greasy on the outside. What is recommended to get the years of grease off? It turns fairly smoothly so I hope with some internal cleaning and greasing it'll work out. And what grit wheel would be good? Thanks!

James Taglienti
06-10-2010, 7:53 AM
I use lacquer thinner to remove grease and cosmoline. That being said I bet there's a more brain-cell friendly approach. But the thinner cuts very fast. After you get most of the grease off, the residues will buff right off with a dry rag.

john brenton
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I you grind the teeth off of a worn out slim taper file and buff it out on your stone you'll have an awesome gunk remover that you'll use all the time. Put some paste wax on the gunky area and scrape it off with your new scraper.

Steve Dallas
06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I picked up an old "Keystone Railroad" hand grinder. It's pretty massive with a 7" X 1 1/4+" wheel. It's really filthy and greasy on the outside. What is recommended to get the years of grease off? It turns fairly smoothly so I hope with some internal cleaning and greasing it'll work out. And what grit wheel would be good? Thanks!

Simple Green. Spray it and walk away. Come back in an hour. Spray it again and start wiping with lots of paper towels.

Joel Goodman
06-10-2010, 1:35 PM
Thanks for the advise. This weekend I'll start with the simple green and see how that does. I have too few brain cells left, so if possible I'd like to avoid the more toxic stuff. Would you go full strength or diluted on the simple green?

Steve Dallas
06-10-2010, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the advise. This weekend I'll start with the simple green and see how that does. I have too few brain cells left, so if possible I'd like to avoid the more toxic stuff. Would you go full strength or diluted on the simple green?

Lacquer thinner is certainly not your friend. I'd actually dilute the SG a bit - maybe 1/3 water, 2/3 SG concentrate or even half and half. It will certainly remove, at less than full strength, the dirt/light machine oil/kerosene grunge you probably have on your grinder. If for some reason things are moving too slowly for your taste - go full strength.

Bob Easton
06-11-2010, 8:38 PM
White vinegar also works and is low on the toxic scale.