PDA

View Full Version : ? for the pen turners...

Matt Ranum
06-09-2010, 11:57 PM
The Mrs. and I decided to make a special engraved pen as a wedding present for the daughter of some friends of ours. A sterling silver/gold Cambridge and a pearled white blank from Exotic blanks. Should be nice when its done, still waiting on the bushings yet.

My dilemma comes to what to use for a box. I could just buy one but, it kinda feels like cheating when I'll already be making half the gift anyway and why not make the box too? Thing is I haven't found a style I really cared for yet. Anyone here made any boxes for their pens or do you just buy them?

I have some time yet, don't need it for about a month yet.

John Hart
06-10-2010, 6:21 AM
Matt...I made some boxes a while back (don't have any pics) and I've bought various boxes and bags over the years. I gave up making the boxes because there are so many wood boxes out there that cost so little and look so nice that I decided it wasn't worth the time to make them anymore.

But for something special like this....I would probably think differently.

My favorite was one where I routed the pen recesses into a cocobolo slab and made a slide-on cover.

Matt Ranum
06-10-2010, 8:20 AM
John how thick of a base did you typically use? 1-1/2" ?

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2010, 8:22 AM
Matt I buy mine. Like John said they have some awful nice boxes and really reasonable.

John Hart
06-10-2010, 8:45 AM
John how thick of a base did you typically use? 1-1/2" ?

No...fairly thin really. A standard board thickness of 3/4 was generally suitable. I was going for a sleek look and to minimize weight. The trickiest part is routing in an attractive and clean groove for the pen. Which is another reason to buy boxes. Box manufacturers are tooled up for nice clean grooves. Mine were a tad....um....shaky. :o

Brian Effinger
06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Take a look at this thread I posted a few months ago. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131024) It has a box made from a thick piece of walnut and a curly maple lid. I believe that this is similar to what John did. I routed a dovetailed channel for the lid, and then a bull nose channel for the pen.

John Hart
06-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Yup...that's it exactly Brian. :)

Only yours looks nicer than mine. Very cool wood combination and engraving!!

Brian Brown
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
My first gift pen sets I gave to family, I made the boxes too. Took way to long, and didn't look that great, and hey let's face it, it's flat work that takes away from the time for the spinny stuff.

John Hart
06-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Here's something that Berea Hardwoods makes. Its called a push-up box because it has the little push-up thingies that bring the pen up out of the hole.

Seems to me, this oughta be pretty simple to duplicate, if you have your heart set on making it. If not...they are 7 bucks and made of rosewood.

Hey...I know...you could buy the rosewood box.....try to duplicate it....and if it doesn't work out in time for the wedding....just use the box you bought. ;)

Chris Stolicky
06-10-2010, 1:14 PM
When I made a pen as a wedding gift I decided to check out what Ken at Kallanshan (sp?) woods had. I ended up ordering a custom engraved box from him. It came out nice.

Brian Effinger
06-10-2010, 3:16 PM
Thanks John. :) That was my second try, though. ;)

David E Keller
06-10-2010, 4:46 PM
I'm too lazy to make one, I think. I'd check out Ken's website and, I would also shop lazerlinez and see what Constant has got available.

Matt Ranum
06-10-2010, 7:19 PM
I do have a couple extra lift boxes like you posted John, but I'm not sure if a Cambridge will fit in it. Thought about making a bigger copy, but I like the design you mentioned and that Brian posted. That looks real nice. I have some small pieces of nicely figured Maple and Walnut too.

David I was looking at Ken's website and still have to look at Constants and Lazerlinez yet. Forgot about them actually.

John Hart
06-10-2010, 8:05 PM
Yeah...Brian's box is really nice..I like it. Ya know...there's a bunch of guys over in the Laser Forum that would be thrilled to laser-engrave whatever you make.

Jim McFarland
06-10-2010, 9:26 PM
I'm too lazy to make one, I think. I'd check out Ken's website and, I would also shop lazerlinez and see what Constant has got available.

+1 re Ken at Kellenshaan Woods. He also has custom inserts for many pen styles (didn't see Cambridge but he does have El Grande and, IIRC, same size as Cambridge). Here's a Jr Statesman II Ken engraved for son/daugher-in-laws wedding: