PDA

View Full Version : Band Sawmill review - EZ Boardwalk

Rick Prosser
06-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Had a request on another thread to review my new sawmill

After some research and visiting a sawmill, I decided to purchase the EZ Boardwalk Jr. This is an entry level, manual, portable band saw mill.

I have a 54 acre heavily wooded lot, and I wanted to be able to utilize the trees that I have to cut in order to create roads and clear lots for shop and home. I do not plan to go into production saw milling (not yet, anyway). I needed something not too expensive, but not something that would limit my options or make things too difficult or time consuming. I looked at Chainsaw mills and band saw mills. Band saw manufacturers are now bringing more products aimed at the hobby/weekend miller. I was leaning toward the low end Woodmiser LT-10.

I was a little concerned about the sturdiness of the WM, with the thin metal, bolt up frame - and the 7 hp engine. I did not want something flimsy that would not hold up well or long. I did not want to have to pour a pad, or build a frame to mount the saw. It was in the right price range at ~ $3000, but I wondered if I could spend a little more and get a lot better system.

Someone suggested I check out the lesser known Boardwalk. When I checked the specs, I was pleased to see a heavier frame, a larger engine, and larger capacity for $600 more than the WM. I wanted to know more about this (unknown) brand, so I called and talked with Edward ("EZ"), the builder of the sawmill and was impressed with him and the product claims. He explained the differences and options for his saw mill and pointed me to some reviews. There is a very basic web page and no email for EZ, so a phone call is pretty much required. They are buillt in Missouri, and I was afraid of the shipping costs. Freight cost for something so big (it does not break down) would be huge. Edward told me he was taking a crew to Georgia with his (Mennonite) church group to make some repairs, and he would drive a sawmill down for me to pick up if I shared the extra gas ($50). I decided to proceed and we made the arrangements for the pick up. Turned out the Edward could not go, but he sent his son to meet me and walk me thru the operation and suggested procedures. I opted to buy the trailer option, so we unhooked from his truck, hooked to my van, and I drove it home.
152865 152866
Standard Features...

15 ft track made from 4" channel steel
13 hp recoil start Honda engine
19" diameter band wheels
Heavy duty sealed bearings
Cuts at an angle for easy operation
2 quick-clamp dogs
Blade lube system
Cuts 30" dia by 12'2" long logs
Spring assist lift on heads
One lever operates lube and engages blade
Guard prevents blade from cutting into clamps
Wheels and axle easliy removable

I had to wait weeks before I could set it up, but finally I was able to start.

The trailer parts came off easily (I plan to build another trailer from these while the sawmill is stationary)

Got everything set up easily (only needed three 4x4 timbers to level it), got a log loaded and clamped

Cranked the engine and started my first cut

CONTINUED...

Rick Prosser
06-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Then I put some gas in the tank and finished the cut :o
I also had to tension the blade...

Then I got down to business and trimmed the log into a cant

and made boards

This saw mill was easy to set up, easy to use, glided on the rollers and made nice, consistent cuts. Very impressed and satisfied. The frame is sturdy, the engine has enough muscle, and adjustments are easy. No complaints. The blade is set at 15 degrees off square. EZ says it makes a more stable starting cut and pulls the saw into the wood. Works for me!

After I cut another log, I realized I needed stickers to dry the boards, so I grabbed some old fence planks, loaded them on the mill and took 1 inch passes.

Instant pile of stickers

I have since cut cherry, oak, and cedar with ease. My wife is now sawing and lets me run the mill occasionally.:p

Here is a view of cutting from the back

and a close up of the log clamps (dogs)

Everything is simple and straightforward.

Oh - the saw blade will bite you if you are not careful. I let the blade fall off the wheel onto my arm while tensioning (not running at the time)

All in all, I am well pleased and would recommend the product to anyone who wants to get started with an entry level mill. Loading and positioning the log is the hardest part. I can see why a production mill needs to have hydraulics and other assists ;)

I have a couple of videos posted at
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/reprosser/WaterTankRd/?mediafilter=videos

(is it ok to post the web address?)

Andrew Joiner
06-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks Rick,
Nice review.
Are the guides ball bearing on top and phenolic on the bottom?

Looks like a solid mill. The 15 degree angle on the blade makes sense. Does it really help to pull the carriage along so you don't have to push as hard?

Stephen Cherry
06-10-2010, 2:43 AM
looks great

Henry Ambrose
06-10-2010, 9:50 AM
Good review - thanks very much.

Rick Prosser
06-10-2010, 9:57 AM
Are the guides ball bearing on top and phenolic on the bottom?

... The 15 degree angle on the blade makes sense. Does it really help to pull the carriage along so you don't have to push as hard?

There are some phenolic pieces on the side of the bearing, and in front of the wheels to clear the track, but the saw blade runs around the wheels and across the bearings - not touching phenolic. (Hope that was the question)

The angle blade may actually pull a little. It is not a lot, but I have had the saw continue to move forward without pushing on occasion. (could also be out of level a bit, but either way, it only takes a small amount of push to move thru the log.)

Jim Groves
11-11-2010, 2:31 PM
A really thorough review! I just bought one of these mills from EZ and am having a good time with it. I was curious about something, though. The 'driver's side' blade guide which is adjustable and is snugged-up to the cut.... does your JR model have the brass pillow beneath that bearing? The website shows this brass pillow but my own mill doesn't have it. Again, thanks for all your efforts reviewing this interesting machine.

JG

Rick Prosser
11-11-2010, 3:46 PM
Hi Jim, welcome to the creek.

You are right - the website for the Jr model shows the bronze pad on the bearing, but my unit does not have bronze pads installed either. I never noticed it before...

I talked to Edward, and he explained that the original JR model used the same bearings as the model 40, but the bearings were to cumbersome, and they downsized to bearings without the pads. He forgot to update the picture on the website for the Jr model change. (I expect that will be corrected soon ;))

I hope you are getting more time with your mill than me - too many things going on here. I have 3-4 logs that have been sitting ready to mill for a couple of months:(.

Jim Groves
11-12-2010, 4:54 PM
Rick, I thank you for the friendly welcome-- and the light-speed response to my query. Edward's mill shows he has an excellent and uncanny grasp on sawmill-engineering; and so I'll trust his judgment.

Me, I don't saw much but I have been getting in some quality time with the new baby nearly every day since her arrival a month ago.

JG

David Dobbs
07-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Rick

Nice review hows the mill doing today?

Dave

cliff smith
07-22-2012, 8:48 AM
very good review, i have seen the woodmiser operate and thought it was a good machine but i really like what i see here and for only a little more. i will definately check into this further

thanks for posting this
cliff

Peter Stahl
07-22-2012, 9:00 AM
Great review Rick. With a great product & customer service like that I don't think they will be unknown for very long.

Rick Prosser
05-01-2017, 3:53 PM
I searched EZ boardwalk to get the phone number - and I saw this link, so I thought I would provide a quick follow up.
I have been using my EZ pretty regularly since I purchased. It has remained solid and reliable. I use water for lube, and I let it freeze over the winter a couple years ago, so the "auto lube" is now manual, but will probably fix it at some point. I used the mill to create all the red oak baseboard and trim in the new house (finished this year). I called EZ to find out how to make the first adjustment I have ever needed - the guide bearing has moved out of position and my cuts are not flat. Probably got banged too hard at some point. (I have not been gentle with it.) Got the info I needed and will be spending some time getting things aligned and ready to mill some more lumber.