PDA

View Full Version : Do they make this type of adapter for a DC?

Robert Mayer
11-26-2004, 5:28 PM
Im getting my new tablesaw tommorrow morning and it has a 4" dc hookup at the bottom of it. Im still shopping around for a DC but until then I would like to just hook my shopvac up to it. Do they make an adapter to taper the 4" connector to a shopvac size?

Jim Becker
11-26-2004, 5:40 PM
You can buy a 4" to 3" reducer in the HVAC section of the big box and adapt the shop vac hose to that with some duct tape. But honestly, you will get almost no collection using a shop vac with your table saw. If it's a cabinet saw, just clean it out with the vac by opening up the motor cover every so often until you have your DC ready to go.

Andy Haney
11-30-2004, 8:34 AM
Woodcraft in KC sells the DC part you're asking about, but I think Jim is right about the capability of the vac.

Andy Haney

Ken Fitzgerald
11-30-2004, 8:49 AM
Robert.....I have an OLD Craftsman 16 gallon shop vac. I hooked it to one of my tools....I believe it was my new thickness planer. It worked well for about 1 minute then it quit having any effect. I stopped and sure enough...it was full but it worked well with my new table saw. Good luck with your new saw!

Robert Mayer
11-30-2004, 9:51 AM
Im getting a DC probably just after Xmas with some gift certificates. Ill just vacuum out the inside every so often. Im probably going to just pick up the small $149 delta DC. I have a small garage im working in and cant afford the space to give up for a big one. I only use one machine at a time and heard from a few reviews that it works pretty good. Probably will upgrade it to the 5 micron bags in the future.

Charlie Plesums
11-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Consider whether you really want a "traditional" dust collector.

I have a 2 hp 2 bag dust collector. With the standard bags, it collected chips, and moved the dust to the corner of the shop, but didn't collect any dust - it made sure it was airborne.

Then I upgraded to 0.3 micron bags from the manufacturer. Worked great for a few minutes, then the bags were so plugged that the airflow was too slow, and it didn't collect anything.

Then I upgraded to an AFF custom bag (3 feet in diameter and 6 feet tall), which works pretty good, but is huge. The larger bag surface allowed a fine filtering while keeping a pretty good airflow.

At this point I wish I had started with a cyclone, like everyone recommended. My second choice would be the new style collectors with the pleated cartridge filter on the top, rather than a bag, so that there is a fine filter with a large filter surface in a small volume. I could have bought either of these solutions for less than I spent on the big system with all the plumbing and bags.