PDA

View Full Version : Problem with centering

sal shepherd
06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I am currently working on a plexiglass sign. My laser table is 24X18 60 watt Epilog. I set my work up one half is good till it wants to cut 1/8 off the side .I turn piece end for end an adj art by rotating it. the next set of letters aren't lining up I can remember i engraved a large pict on a mirror an it lined up . Can you see anything wrong in file

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 2:45 AM
See this thread for suggestions:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=141739
I bet your substrate is not the exact size you expect it to be, so when you flip it things don't line up.

What version of Corel are you using? I opened your file in X5 and it's pretty screwed up.

Frank Corker
06-10-2010, 5:41 AM
Sal, I have had a look at your cdr file, I have to admit I don't get what your issue is, but if you buzz me on Skype I'm sure I will get a better understanding of your problem.

I always have my working page size the same as my laser bed, where yours is 'ad hock'. I line the pieces up the way I want them to appear. If the piece has to be cut at a specific location I would put the 'cut off' piece on the next page and align it with the first page. It's easier to show you what I am talking about than to explain...which is actually making my head spin.

Mike Null
06-10-2010, 6:46 AM
Sal

I also don't understand what you're trying to do. I'm assuming you want to cut each letter. If that's the case you could make more efficient use of the material by cutting them out separately then setting them up and spacing them.

Your file comes in with the sign being 64 3/8" long. I'm using X3.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 7:33 AM
Mike,

Would you mind posting a screenshot of the CDR opened in X3? It opens all screwed up in X5, so I'd like to file a bug report if it's an X5 issue.

Mike Null
06-10-2010, 8:18 AM
Dan

Here it is.

For reference the box at the far right is 68.25" x14.25".

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 9:05 AM
Okay, then it's not just my version... mine looks just like that.

Sal, is this layout as you intended, with the letters all jumbled up?

sal shepherd
06-10-2010, 1:29 PM
The total sign will be 68.250X 14.250 with a hinge in center per customer
My material measures true, I rechecked my artwork and it is centered. All I am doing is rotating art 180 deg I am not moving left to right only up and down. This project is like making a XL license plate inlayed

Larry Bratton
06-10-2010, 2:53 PM
Some of you guys that are smarter than me will have to figure this one out. I don't see how your going to make a 68" long sign in a 24" long laser bed using this Corel file. I fail to understand what your trying to do exactly.

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 2:58 PM
A 68" sign hinged down the middle is two 34" signs. Using pass-through doors, you can flip panels and get nearly 48"/panel, so 34" isn't a problem (as long as your registration skills are sharp).

Larry Bratton
06-10-2010, 4:14 PM
A 68" sign hinged down the middle is two 34" signs. Using pass-through doors, you can flip panels and get nearly 48"/panel, so 34" isn't a problem (as long as your registration skills are sharp).
Oh OK I guess

Mike Null
06-10-2010, 5:08 PM
I am still confused. If the table is 24" and the work is 68" how do you do that in two passes even if you have a pass through machine?

Dan Hintz
06-10-2010, 5:20 PM
Two passes per panel?

Mike Null
06-10-2010, 5:28 PM
Dan

I see the dividing line for two panels but don't see any indicator of two passes per panel---------------ohhhh! Now I see! Thank you.

I think I would be using some clear transfer tape to test positioning on before engraving the flipped part.

Bob Davis
06-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I believe that should be "ad hoc"

sal shepherd
06-12-2010, 2:48 AM
finished that job, pictures to come . After assembly of sign an all the cleaning . The company was so happy , people from other booths wanted my name and if I could re do their tired signs. Man this one was worth the effort. I'm going job hunting at the home show. There is still so much I need to learn!!
Thanks for everyone advice.. I wound up doing a lot of test burns on card stock to fix line up issues 1/16"

sal shepherd
06-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Ok, Here is the bad picture. I couldn't have plan it any better. The division line is exactly in the middli of booth. Lady Luck was on my side.

Scott Shepherd
06-25-2010, 8:19 AM
Sal, that turned out nice. I'm not sure how much time you spent on it, but I can tell you that with a vinyl plotter, you could have knocked that thing out in minutes. If you have requests for many more like this, you might look at getting a plotter if you don't already have one (unless I'm not seeing some details in the photo that would eliminate using it).