PDA

View Full Version : Grinding angles

Richard Madden
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Those of you who use hollowing tools with 3/16" or 1/4" square bits, what angle are you grinding them? I have read 10 degrees all the way to 45. What works best for you??

Jeff Nicol
06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
I grind them in a plethora of different angles, points, rounded. curves or whatever works for the process I am working on at the time. That being said I mostly use the pieces of old circular saw blades from my table saw made into cutters of every shape imaginable!

The less of an angle on the grind the less grabby it will be , but a little longer can do different things. It really is trial and error until you find what works best for you.

Have fun and try everything at least once!

Jeff

Richard Madison
06-10-2010, 12:22 AM
Usually an included angle at the cutting edge of 75-80 degrees, and grind off the heel of the bevel at about 45 degrees to remove about half of the original bevel.

Wally Dickerman
06-10-2010, 12:30 AM
The 3/16th in. bit on my Dennis Stewart is ground at 30 degrees on the nose and is side ground on both sides. Most of my cutting is done with the cutter tipped down a bit which makes it more of a shear cut. The 30 degrees grind can be a bit agressive but it works for me.

Wally

Richard Madden
06-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks Jeff, the reason I'm asking is that in hollowing a maple HF, endgrain, it seems I'm struggling somewhat and I thought changing angles might help. Just wanted to throw it out there and see what others are using.