PDA

View Full Version : Gloat: New Plane

Brett Elliott
06-09-2010, 10:18 PM
I stood up in my best friend's wedding a week and a half ago. He got me and the other best man each a Veritas low angle jack plane. I can't wait to use this beast. This is the only nice plane I own, and I'm afraid it's going to make me want to acquire more of them :)

Cheers,
Brett

Rick Markham
06-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Watch out for that thing!!! It's going to multiply and you will find yourself wanting more... Your pocketbook is going to hate you... Not sure if you should thank your friend or tell him off... He got married... You got hooked for life too, ya just don't know it yet :D

Congrats, I need a BU Low angle Jack. I just got a LN no 5 yesterday :) it needs a buddy now LOL

Andrew Gibson
06-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Do yourself a favor, don't use it!!!

Send it to me. I already have an addiction.

Edit. Better yet come visit me and Rick and spend a few days on the beach before the oil gets here... better be quick.

Rick Markham
06-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Do yourself a favor, don't use it!!!

Send it to me. I already have an addiction.

Edit. Better yet come visit me and Rick and spend a few days on the beach before the oil gets here... better be quick.

I second this opinion! We would never want to enable you in any way:eek:

which reminds me, I better get to the beach!:D

Brett Elliott
06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Your pocketbook is going to hate you...

My wallet already hates me. Between woodworking, flying, and photography, it gets a bit of a workout. Maybe I should think about a second job.

Brett

Rick Markham
06-09-2010, 11:12 PM
My wallet already hates me. Between woodworking, flying, and photography, it gets a bit of a workout. Maybe I should think about a second job.

Brett

Nah... that would "cut" into good woodworking time... Ya need a better paying job ;)

David Weaver
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I stood up in my best friend's wedding a week and a half ago. He got me and the other best man each a Veritas low angle jack plane. I can't wait to use this beast. This is the only nice plane I own, and I'm afraid it's going to make me want to acquire more of them :)

Cheers,
Brett

You'll really like it, it's a great plane. But the thing that you'll like the most about it is the first time you have to remove an appreciable amount of endgrain from something thick and large. It will leave a thin-bladed BU plane in the dust doing that.

It's an excellent "problem solving" plane to have around, and great on a shooting board, too.

paul cottingham
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
I love my BU up jack. You will rue the day you got it when you wake up one day and find yourself surrounded by premium planes with no recollection of where they came from. (or that is what you'll tell your wife.)

repeat after me:

My name is Paul and I have a plane problem....

Paul
27 years sober, but still buying planes.....

lowell holmes
06-10-2010, 12:34 PM
You will soon realize that you can't live without the BU smoother.:)

Chuck Nickerson
06-10-2010, 1:05 PM
I can't believe nobody has said: what a GREAT friend! All I ever got were pen & pencil sets.

On the other hand, perhaps your friend bought it for you because his bride will no longer let him buy planes for himself. :eek:

David Weaver
06-10-2010, 1:28 PM
You're not kidding - I was thinking the same thing. the two best things I got were a tiny mult-tool and a swiss army divot repair tool.

And I had to stand twice to get them.

Phillip Ngan
06-10-2010, 4:10 PM
OK fans, tell me, why do you like the LV BU Jack so much. I have one, and between my #4 1/2 and #7 the only time I use it is on the shooting board. What am I missing - what else should I be using it for!?

David Weaver
06-10-2010, 4:16 PM
OK fans, tell me, why do you like the LV BU Jack so much. I have one, and between my #4 1/2 and #7 the only time I use it is on the shooting board. What am I missing - what else should I be using it for!?

The next time you need to level a panel of figured wood. Not to mention, you can get a relatively cheap toothed blade for it.

Or if you ever have to fit a wood countertop somewhere that isn't perfectly flush but is concave or something. It's a whole lot nicer to use the plane for that than a belt sander.

Opening and closing the mouth on it is a lot nicer of an operation, too.

That said, I don't think I've used mine for 2 years - since getting a dedicated shooting board plane. I keep it around in case I need it in the future. If you're using straight grained woods, and not trimming large amounts of endgrain, you may find you don't need to use it for anything other than the shooting board - but it works well enough for that that it's worth keeping if you don't have a (more expensive) dedicated miter shooter.

Prashun Patel
06-10-2010, 4:53 PM
He got me and the other best man each a Veritas low angle jack plane.

Sounds like HE'S the Best man. You're just the Luckiest one ;)

Dan Karachio
06-10-2010, 6:44 PM
That's a great plane. Congrats! Might be the one I use the most. Of course you will have to learn how to sharpen... Try building a shooting board for it. Very easy and it was made to do that kind of work.

Jim Koepke
06-10-2010, 7:54 PM
Great plane, I would gladly stand for a few hours to get something like that.

If you do use it for shooting, check out Derek Cohen's site inthewoodshop.com and see how he made a "hot dog" handle for his. It makes shooting much nicer.

Another thought, I have been thinking of making a left hand shooting board since I have an old injury to my right shoulder. But if you plan on doing miters and such, being able to plane on either side may be a help.

jim

Rick Markham
06-10-2010, 11:33 PM
The next time you need to level a panel of figured wood. Not to mention, you can get a relatively cheap toothed blade for it.

Or if you ever have to fit a wood countertop somewhere that isn't perfectly flush but is concave or something. It's a whole lot nicer to use the plane for that than a belt sander.

Opening and closing the mouth on it is a lot nicer of an operation, too.

That said, I don't think I've used mine for 2 years - since getting a dedicated shooting board plane. I keep it around in case I need it in the future. If you're using straight grained woods, and not trimming large amounts of endgrain, you may find you don't need to use it for anything other than the shooting board - but it works well enough for that that it's worth keeping if you don't have a (more expensive) dedicated miter shooter.

Hey David... If you ever do decide to sell that BU Jack, let me know first! I just got your LN 4 1/2 smoother today... that is one sweet plane, it arrived great, and it was quite sharp. I tried it out on some hard maple, some wenge, and some poplar I had laying around. Good stuff man! It did have a tiny amount of rust on the sole, I assume from shipping, but it cleaned up with some Nev R Dull and a couple quick passes over some 600 grit sandpaper. I am more than pleased!!! It's by far my favorite so far!:D

Mike Null
06-11-2010, 6:16 AM
I can't believe your friend. I do engraving and almost all of the best man gifts are cheap knives or lousy beer steins.

I will be happy to break that in and tune it for you. I'm a little backed up so it might take a year or so.:rolleyes:

David Weaver
06-11-2010, 8:38 AM
Hey David... If you ever do decide to sell that BU Jack, let me know first! I just got your LN 4 1/2 smoother today... that is one sweet plane, it arrived great, and it was quite sharp. I tried it out on some hard maple, some wenge, and some poplar I had laying around. Good stuff man! It did have a tiny amount of rust on the sole, I assume from shipping, but it cleaned up with some Nev R Dull and a couple quick passes over some 600 grit sandpaper. I am more than pleased!!! It's by far my favorite so far!:D

I wonder what caused it to rust in the box on the trip :confused: That's a downer. Thanks for taking care of it in workman-like fashion and just getting on with it. Good lesson I guess, next time instead of camelia oil for the trip, I'll wax.

LN smoothers are a beautiful thing :)

The two things that keep my dirty fingers held tight to the LA jack are the prospect of making a bunch of moulding planes and also that it's the ideal plane to trim the endgrain on an infill.

I'm sure my wife would like to see it go along with all of the others, though.

Rick Markham
06-11-2010, 4:59 PM
I wonder what caused it to rust in the box on the trip :confused: That's a downer. Thanks for taking care of it in workman-like fashion and just getting on with it. Good lesson I guess, next time instead of camelia oil for the trip, I'll wax.

LN smoothers are a beautiful thing :)

The two things that keep my dirty fingers held tight to the LA jack are the prospect of making a bunch of moulding planes and also that it's the ideal plane to trim the endgrain on an infill.

I'm sure my wife would like to see it go along with all of the others, though.

No worries David, I thought the rust was a little strange myself, it was like iodized salt sized particles just lightly on the surface just behind the mouth. It mostly just wiped off. Really kinda strange. Yeah, I understand about the LA Jack ;) and wives are like that sometimes :D lol