PDA

View Full Version : Another olive off set cande holder

alex carey
06-09-2010, 9:52 PM
This guy is about 10" at its widest point.

I started using a bungee cord for some added support. The tape glue method is good but it never felt like it was enough. I used a round file on the edge of the backer board to make some slots for the bungee cord. Worked quite well. The wood didn't want to budge at all.

I think I went a little overboard with the lines in the wood. I'm thinking it distract from the natural beauty. Perhaps if I had just done lines on 1 axis only.

Comment Critiques welcome.

John Hart
06-09-2010, 9:57 PM
These pieces you do are really cool Alex. I agree about the lines by the way.

Do you feel a need to add weight to your back board to offset the out-of-balance? Or is it pretty stable?

Brian Effinger
06-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Great candle holder, and beautiful wood. I kind of like the lines, but I would have liked to see each candle on it's own separate line - like an orbit around the center.

David E Keller
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Another nice looking piece of olive. I like the regular pattern of the candle holders, but I agree with you about the lines. It looks great, but that wood doesn't need any help.

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Great looking wood. I actually like the lines, it produces a kind of ripple effect that makes it seem three dimensional to me. It's like the candles and the lines are on the surface of water and the wood grain is underneath the water. Nice work.

Richard Madison
06-10-2010, 12:32 AM
The lines are fine except the small circles around the candles, which are a bit distracting. An interesting piece, and appreciated for the offset turning.

alex carey
06-10-2010, 2:31 AM
I set the lines around the candle to intersect with the lines on the main axis but it wasn't until after I did it that I realized it would be a bit too clogged.

@John, I had it running around 500 and it was stable, I do plan on trying some bigger stuff and im sure as soon as I do I will need to do some counter weight.

@Brian, I had actually thought about that but I couldn't do that unless I changed the frequency of the lines and I was going for the ripple effect. Perhaps next time.

@David, I had my sister look at this piece and my last candle holder and she said the same thing, the wood doesn't need any help.

@Mark, im glad it works for atleast 1 person.

@Richard, I think your dead on, if I left out the lines around the candles then the whole piece would have worked and the other lines wouldn't have distracted from it at all. Next time I'll keep that in mind more.