PDA

View Full Version : Gluing Melamine Router Table Top

Matthew Curtis
06-09-2010, 8:13 PM
I am wanting to make a Router table top out of 3/4" Melamine. What glue works best to glue two layers together? Is there any gluing Technique that may help? Do I need to screw it together in any particular way (i.e pre drill holes)?? Would it be better to glue the top sheet of Melamine to something other than Melamine?

Steve Bracken
06-09-2010, 8:26 PM
I am wanting to make a Router table top out of 3/4" Melamine. What glue works best to glue two layers together? Is there any gluing Technique that may help? Do I need to screw it together in any particular way (i.e pre drill holes)?? Would it be better to glue the top sheet of Melamine to something other than Melamine?

I wouldn't use melamine. Although it's a nice shiny surface, it isn't very durable, and will soon wear through.

A sheet of Formica bonded to 3/4" Baltic Birch Ply would be a longer lasting proposition. The plywood is strong enough as it stands, but you could beef up the area below the cut-out, maybe with some 1/2 glued to it. You shouldn't need screws.

my 2c

Matthew Curtis
06-09-2010, 8:56 PM
In that case is it possible to glue formica to melamine?

Steve Bracken
06-09-2010, 9:07 PM
In that case is it possible to glue formica to melamine?

Yes.

And you could also glue the laminate to the underside, so both sides would be coated.

glenn bradley
06-10-2010, 1:36 AM
Roo Glue (http://www.rooglue.com/) will glue your melamine but I would sure rethink using it.