PDA

View Full Version : Spalted ash enclosed form

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 6:56 PM
This form has some obvious imperfections .. er.. character. The worm holes were occupied when I started. Luckily I saw it and when I cranked the RPMs up, he went for a flying trip. There were some soft spots that did not cut well at all. I used the 80 grit gouge quite a bit. I had some trouble with the reversing as well. It came off the jamb chuck I was using even with tailstock support, so I just used a saw to cut off the tenon and sanded with my random orbital. I noticed today that the bottom has discolored/clouded some. I suppose this is moisture under the finish. I'll try some heat to see if it clears up, but I may have to sand and refinish. It has two coats of tung oil on it.

I have a matching open bowl to finish turn. I've never tried a set before, so we'll see how it comes out.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Dennis Ford
06-09-2010, 7:17 PM
Yep, lots of character in that wood. The form is nice and the wood looks great. Any warping that it does will likely add to the character. I would have guessed that it was oak.

David E Keller
06-09-2010, 7:24 PM
I, too, would have guessed oak. Whatever it is, it's nice.

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 7:46 PM
No, I'm pretty sure its not oak. I came from a tree in the back yard. I'm not certain about ash, just my best guess. I'm a pretty lousy guesser. Thanks for the comments.

David DeCristoforo
06-09-2010, 8:10 PM
Whatever kind it is, that is one funky piece of wood. I would have liked to see the expression on that worm's face (do worms have faces?) when he (she?) found himself launched across the shop from the centrifugal force. Kinda like "worm warp drive". Nice job of keeping it together.

John Hart
06-09-2010, 8:12 PM
I like this piece for its character overall...and the form you chose compliments it nicely. I got to thinking that it would look cool with a planter planted in it.
Maybe that's because of the nice setting you took the picture...put me in mind of it. But it just looks like it needs something alive in it. :)

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 9:05 PM
I like this piece for its character overall...and the form you chose compliments it nicely. I got to thinking that it would look cool with a planter planted in it.
Maybe that's because of the nice setting you took the picture...put me in mind of it. But it just looks like it needs something alive in it. :)

Thank you John. It kind of makes me think of a bonsai tree bowl now that you mention it.

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 9:10 PM
Thanks for the comment David. It wasn't hard to keep together, but I really need to reconsider how I reverse larger pieces. It was too big for my doughnut chuck, so I tried the jamb chuck with some hot glue, but I should have probably wrapped it with some plastic wrap or something. I am thinking about redesigning the doughnut chuck a bit to use a strap rather than bolts. Has anyone else tried something along these lines?

David DeCristoforo
06-09-2010, 9:21 PM
One thing I'm finding very handy for "weak" wood are these:

http://www.cabletiesplus.com/Products/24-Extra-Heavy-Duty-Cable-Ties-(175-lb)-(Natural)__CP-24-175-N.aspx

Wrapped around the "top" of a piece while you are gutting the inside really helps hold the wood together. Just don't forget to snip off the excess and keep your knuckles clear of the "clip". Please don't ask my how I found out about those two things....

Allen Neighbors
06-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I am thinking about redesigning the doughnut chuck a bit to use a strap rather than bolts. Has anyone else tried something along these lines?

I use a modified Kersten Kone for reversing forms with an undercut edge, as well as vases and Hollowforms...

I really like this wood... and the form... and I think the Bonzai Bowl (planter) is an excellent idea... is there enough root room??

William Bachtel
06-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll go for the Oak, vote. When Ash Spalts its has brown in it. Ash has no visable rays like you have there. None the less its a nice effort and form.

Jeff Willard
06-09-2010, 10:11 PM
The worm holes were occupied when I started. Luckily I saw it and when I cranked the RPMs up, he went for a flying trip.

I usually end up cuttin' 'em up. And then wearing them.:eek:

Not intending to be contrary, but it has characteristics that say oak to me, as opposed to ash. See the radial lines bisecting the annual rings?

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I would have guessed that it was oak.

I, too, would have guessed oak.

I'll go for the Oak, vote.

... it has characteristics that say oak to me, as opposed to ash. See the radial lines bisecting the annual rings?

Okay, the oaks have it. I'll go check the bark against a known oak tomorrow.

Brian Effinger
06-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Definitely looks like it was a challenging piece of wood. I like the overall form because it seems to fit with the rustic feel of the wood. I agree with everyone about a plant in it too.

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Nice tip David, thanks. Those would work on my doughnut chuck idea, maybe without even changing chucks. I could just take out the bolts and slip these guys through the bolt holes. I'll look into it.

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 10:46 PM
There is probably enough room for a small tree with room to grow. It is about three inches deep. Thanks Allen.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 6:32 AM
Late to the party on this one, Mark, but an excellent job with an obviously difficult piece of wood. Great color and character, and I will join the chorus on using it as a planter, and that it is probably oak!

Steve Schlumpf
06-10-2010, 8:11 AM
Even later...

Congrats on keeping this chunk of wood together while turning! Very interesting piece - lots of character and great color variations!

Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
06-10-2010, 8:20 AM
Mark that is a nice looking piece. Looks like it was difficult to turn but whatever it came out nice.