PDA

View Full Version : Sensible Drawers

Bruce Seidner
06-09-2010, 2:28 PM
I have a number of constraints to work around given an uneven foundation ledge that varies in height and width from the block wall of the garage/basement. In order to keep the height of the work bench in the 36"to 38" range I have had to cut and fit my bench base material between the 2x4 support studs that frame the work bench. It was just going to build up too tall. I have 1" OSB subflooring that would support an elephant between the supports and apron, over which I will use glued up ash boards, likely half inch after planing. So the top is going well, if somewhat tediously.

I had wanted to put in full extension drawers and I have 9'x3' of space but find that because of the variation in the wall at that level the depth will be constrained from 13" to 8" depending on the position. I can get a consistent 10" from the top down to about 16" and below that it is very inconsistent along the length of the bench.

How useful are 10" drawers? I am thinking that while it would be "purty" a bunch of cubbyholes and adjustable shelves would serve as well for boxes of hardware and power tools that need to be put away yet be handy to the work bench. I am ambivalent. And like a quarter standing on an edge looking forward to falling heads or tails.

Steven Green
06-11-2010, 2:21 AM
The only drawback to shelving is dust as far as I'm concerned. I have 96 square feet of shelves in my shop and aside from having to dig in a few labeled boxes for the odd part I like them very well. Dust is a problem though