PDA

View Full Version : New Bottle Stoppers

Dick Parr
11-26-2004, 4:14 PM
I did some turning yesterday before, we went to the neighbors for dinner because I knew there would be no turning after.

I had some more of the salvaged firewood from another camping trip that I'm not sure what type of wood it is except beautiful. It is spalted throughout. Made 3 bottle stopper from that piece and one I played with and made a captive ring on it. The other two are from a small piece of cherry that I have been hanging on to for awhile.

Thanks for looking

Charles McKinley
11-26-2004, 5:23 PM
Very nice Dick!
I realy like the first cherry one.

Michael Stafford
11-26-2004, 7:57 PM
Really like the spalted wood. The cherry is lovely also. Good job, Dick!

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-26-2004, 8:12 PM
As usual Dick - An outstanding job. :D

One of the things I like so much about turning is the many different things you can make. The PROBLEM is that I keep wanting to try them all! :eek:

Bruce ;)

keith zimmerman
11-26-2004, 8:28 PM
Dick, which of the two styles you show in the pictures do you like best? I have been turning some of the chrome stoppers and was curious about your thoughts.

keithz

Dick Parr
11-26-2004, 9:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind comments. These are fun to make and like Bruce, I like to try a little of everything.

Keith, there are really 3 different styles in the pictures. My favorite is the chrome and then the cork and then silicon (not in these pics). One of the spalted stoppers is a combo of chrome and cork. I don't really like the combo and the two that I have made were both defective, so I won't be getting any more of them. I use the PSI stopper lathe chuck PK-BS1-MJ for all my stoppers. If I don't use the chrome stopper then I drill it out to 3/8" and put in a dowel for either the cork or silicon.

John Miliunas
11-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Hey Dick, if you have full bottles for all them stoppers, it may be time for a road trip! :D You're doing a super job on those little guys! Great detail and it seems you never run out of new and interesting designs. :) Nice job, my friend! :cool: