PDA

View Full Version : Source for Cabinet grade material.

Edward P. Surowiec
06-09-2010, 1:48 PM
This is my first Cabinet project. I have read many blogs regarding issues with material dimensions and stability. I'm still not sure about the "right choice of material" and sources for good cabinet grade lumber. I'm in the greater Baltimore MD area and would appreciate any suggestions / advise or recommendations.
Thanks Ed

Joe Chritz
06-09-2010, 2:12 PM
If you are talking sheet goods then you need to find a quality source.

Amazingly, the local Menards have HVPA (hardwood veneer plywood association) certified fir core plywood available in oak, maple and birch. It is good stuff.

If you go to a good lumber yard and ask for US produced A1 plywood it will get you some good stuff. Be prepared for sticker shock.

If melamine is your flavor then M2 is a standard quality grade.

For hinges and runners, etc you have a lot of online choices. Woodworkers hardware and custom service hardware are two of my regulars. No preference for either but they do stock different things.

Joe

Stephen Cherry
06-09-2010, 2:16 PM
http://www.hardwoodsincorporated.com/plywood.aspx

Here's a place in Frederick MD, I have been there several times and it seems to be a good business to deal with. For lumber, Hearne hardwood et al. is not too far away in PA. Both of these places are friendly to deal with.

Lee Koepke
06-09-2010, 2:32 PM
Being a contractor, I have had one of my local millwork/cabinet shops get my lumber for me. I dont get to 'pick thru' but generally its pretty good quality.