PDA

View Full Version : Lever cap damage – replace or repair, or don’t worry and just use it?

ben grossman
06-09-2010, 12:34 PM
I picked up a Keen Kutter KK8 recently, and though I haven’t torn it apart to rebuild it yet, seems to be in pretty fair shape with the exception that the tote was broken (and re-assembled with nails), and after playing with it at home some more I see the edge of the lever cap is damaged. I don’t know why I didn’t notice it when I bought it, but I’m still pretty new to all this stuff so that’s my excuse.

I don’t have pictures at the moment because the plane is a bit inaccessible, but the edge of the lever cap is chipped pretty badly. I don’t think the back is damaged much, or I probably would have noticed it (other than a good layer of rust on the whole thing). Is this something to worry about, or should I just grind it flat/smooth and keep using it? If I need to replace it, is a replacement from the Stanley tools website OK or do I need to hunt for another #8?

I also picked up a nice little Union #4(1/2?), and a Stanley/Bailey #5, that seem to be in very good condition, aside from some grime and a little rust. I need to find a good block plane now, but I am thinking about just getting a new one from Lee-Nielsen or Lee Valley.

David Weaver
06-09-2010, 12:42 PM
It depends on how bad it is. If the lever cap isn't severely shorter or something, or the edge damage isn't really severe such that it can't put pressure against the back of the chipbreaker, you should be fine.

If it's like a small corner broken off and small chips out of it, it might offend your sensibilities but it'll never make a difference in use.

#8 lever caps are fairly difficult to find - I would use it as it is unless it is clear that it won't work.

ben grossman
06-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks, David. I don't think the chips are more than 1/16" out of the edge, 1/8" at worst (just going off memory). I don't think it is damaged bad enough other than to look ugly. I was a little worried, because as you say the parts are harder to find.

Zach England
06-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I had one where the front edge of the cap had a chip in it and I just ground off the front 1/16 to make it go away. I have a hard time believing that would impact the performance. I was going to the trouble of making a new knob and tote, so I was not about to tolerate a chip in the cap iron.

Mike Siemsen
06-09-2010, 5:47 PM
I have ground a few back with no problems, you can leave it alone as well. Just don't use the lever cap for a screwdriver to remove the chipbreaker like the last guy did.
Mike

ben grossman
06-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the reassurance everyone! I can't wait to get these guys fixed up and start using them. It'll save a lot of hassle and a few bucks if I don't have to replace the lever cap. :D