PDA

View Full Version : Not quite a Studley chest but...

Matt Sauber
06-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Picked this up for 20 clams - a bargain in my opinion and couldn't pass it up. I think it's a Handy Andy set from the early 70's and I think it's all there. Quickly got put to use!

Steve Dallas
06-09-2010, 1:00 PM
Picked this up for 20 clams - a bargain in my opinion and couldn't pass it up. I think it's a Handy Andy set from the early 70's and I think it's all there. Quickly got put to use!

Excellent acquisition, IMO.

Jerome Hanby
06-09-2010, 1:08 PM
Wow! I haven't seen one of those since I was Ten years old. I was going to buy one with my Birthday money, but my birthday was the first of Feburary, and Service Merchandise hadn't restocked from Christmas and I never got one. Great find!

Jake Rothermel
06-09-2010, 1:59 PM
Wow. I used to have that set as a kid! That exact set! Double wow!! I blame it (alright, and my father...) for planting the seeds for my current profession(s), not to mention my re-visiting hand tools and woodworking as an adult. Fantastic.

That set vanished into the ether over the years, but I think I've still got the hammer in a drawer somewhere...

jake

Jeff Johnson
06-09-2010, 3:53 PM
Nice. My 4-year old is always looking for new tools. I still haven't bought him anything sharp, but we're going through the rules, so maybe... if he pays attention, for his 5th B-day, I'll buy him a small miter box and saw (to be kept locked in the shop when I'm not there)

John Shuk
06-09-2010, 4:20 PM
I had that same kit when I was about nine or ten. I'd give you a hundred now. I wish lee valley would make a set like that. I'd get on for each of my boys. Great find.
PS did I mention is buy it?

John Shuk
06-09-2010, 4:22 PM
I had that same kit when I was about nine or ten. I'd give you a hundred now. I wish lee valley would make a set like that. I'd get on for each of my boys. Great find.
PS did I mention is buy it?

Don Dorn
06-09-2010, 5:07 PM
Looks to me like that new tool set is in the hands of the appropriate consumer. Great find -

Dave Lehnert
06-09-2010, 6:10 PM
I had a kit like it also. My dad would not let me play with it because I would lose all the tools. Well......He passed away when I was 10 and he was right. All the tools are gone. I do still have the chisel. I don't remember a hand plane.
Is there a photo on front of the tool chest?

Thanks for posting

Bruce Page
06-09-2010, 7:13 PM
That is so cool! There are so many kids (and adults) today that don’t have a clue how things mechanical work. All it takes is something like the Handy Andy set to spark an interest.

Great find!

Leigh Betsch
06-09-2010, 9:36 PM
Sure wish my daughters were that age again. They grow up way too fast, next thing you know they are in college and smarter than you are.

Rick Markham
06-09-2010, 10:55 PM
When I saw your pic, I thought to myself. "That looks like the exact set that I had when I was a child!" It's all there by the way ;) If you look, I bet it is made in Poland, if it is, its the same exact one everyone here is remembering... which brings me to the next thought after reading everyone elses posts... If we all had this thing... and we all grew up and can't stop buying hand tools and power tools, and building countless projects, fettling planes, tweeking doodads and what nots... Are ya sure ya want your children drinking that Kool aide? :D I know when I have little one, they are gonna be sipping from that glass :eek:

George Sanders
06-10-2010, 7:10 AM
It's great to see the tools of creativity in the hands of a young imaginative mind. Will she build a bird house, a doll house; the sky's the limit. I have been thinking of putting a set like that together for my grandkids.

john brenton
06-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Stole the words right out of my mouth (or fingers). I was going to ask the poster if it was made in Poland. I picked up a similar set for my kids at an antique store, but there was no brace drill or horn handled plane. Those are frickin awesome. Oh well, I've already made the planes for the kid, and I was planning to make a wooden brace drill anyways. Awesome find.

When I saw your pic, I thought to myself. "That looks like the exact set that I had when I was a child!" It's all there by the way ;) If you look, I bet it is made in Poland, if it is, its the same exact one everyone here is remembering... which brings me to the next thought after reading everyone elses posts... If we all had this thing... and we all grew up and can't stop buying hand tools and power tools, and building countless projects, fettling planes, tweeking doodads and what nots... Are ya sure ya want your children drinking that Kool aide? :D I know when I have little one, they are gonna be sipping from that glass :eek:

john brenton
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I saw this and went on "eb$y" and found the same set complete with plane and brace drill. I'm now $25 further away from financial peace. Thanks a lot.

Rick Markham
06-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I saw this and went on "eb$y" and found the same set complete with plane and brace drill. I'm now $25 further away from financial peace. Thanks a lot.

I did the same exact thing John! my LOML 3 year old is gonna be one happy woodworker, gonna keep the sharps away from her for another couple years though ;)

john brenton
06-10-2010, 1:51 PM
Does yours have the horn handled or the round handle? I got the one with the round handle and now I notice that the OP's set has a dovetail saw too. Dang. Oh well, the boy already has three shop made planes so I'm not worried about it. They're going to love it though.

I did the same exact thing John! my LOML 3 year old is gonna be one happy woodworker, gonna keep the sharps away from her for another couple years though ;)

John Shuk
06-11-2010, 8:23 AM
C'mon Rob Lee! Let's get a set together for our kids!
We all know that Lee Valley is the company to pull this one off.

Bruce Page
06-11-2010, 10:14 AM
C'mon Rob Lee! Let's get a set together for our kids!
We all know that Lee Valley is the company to pull this one off.

I'm sure Rob could do it...for a price.

James Carmichael
06-11-2010, 3:46 PM
Wow, it looks in pristine condition.

Maybe you should take it on Antiques Roadshow.

Or it looks like you could auction it off right here for a tidy profit.

I'm sad to say, I have no fond memories of that outfit, as I pre-date them.

I've been depressed ever since I started seeing my grade-school lunchbox in antique shops.