PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for OSS

peter leyden
06-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Looking to buy an OSS for an upcoming job and for light use thereafter. What say you wizards of woodworking? Is the variable angle table on the Ridgid a worthwhile property or is it just another bell or whistle? Most other OSS machines don't have that feature, so it makes me wonder how useful it really is.
I'm not looking to break the bank so the really heavy duty industrial machines are out of the question and over the budget ($200)
Pete Leyden

Peter Aeschliman
06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
In your price range, the rigid is the best bet... no doubt. I have one and it's a great machine for the money. A little more vibration than I would like, but it's not a $800 OSS, either.

Will Overton
06-09-2010, 1:18 PM
I got rid of a perfectly good OSS and bought the Jet, specifically for the tilting table. My neighbor who has my old one has no need for a tilting table. So, it's not bells and whistles, but not everybody needs it. The stationary table model I got rid of was more enclosed, providing better dust collection.

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 1:27 PM
+1 on the Rigid, buying new it s the best in your price range. It is my choice untl you double the budget.

Brian W Evans
06-09-2010, 6:21 PM
If I were buying new with a $200 budget, I'd go with the Rigid because it's been so consistently praised on the Creek for so long. That being said, I bought a used Jet benchtop for $200. It's very heavy, has a tilting table, and is a fantastic machine. I feel like I've seen others here mention that they got similar deals. Might be worth waiting a little while to see if one pops up on CL.

Ron Jones near Indy
06-09-2010, 7:03 PM
If I could find a used Jet in good condition I'd get it without question. If new were a requirement, I'd go for Rigid.

Lance Norris
06-09-2010, 7:26 PM
I just bought an OSS and before I spent my money, I looked at all the ones I could find and read the reviews. In your budget, I liked the Craftsman over the Ridgid. Big cast iron top and a 3" spindle, the Ridgid had neither. Tom Hintz (a member here) did a review of the Craftsman, with video, on his websight, newwoodworker.com and gave it good comments. You can save $100 off the Craftsman by getting the generic version at Amazon or ebay. The table does not tilt on the Craftsman...

http://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-OS1000-Oscillating-Spindle-SHIPPING/dp/B00367NWZY/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1276125310&sr=8-12

Ken Platt
06-09-2010, 7:32 PM
Remember that the Rigid also has the belt feature, which can be very useful, so for the same price you get a small but functional edge sander. For me it's not an everyday usage, but great to have on occasion.

I had to return the first one I got as the spindle was wobbly, but given how easy returns are at HD, not much of an issue if you get a dud first.

It's not the cast iron sturdiness we all love in our tools, but it seems reasonably well made and for hobbyist usage and in this price range I think it's a great tool and I'm glad I have mine.

Ken

Will Overton
06-09-2010, 7:34 PM
The one I got rid of was the Craftsman. I hadn't mentioned the name because it was over the $200 limit. I just looked at the one Lance linked to, and it is the same as the CM.

For $199, you really can't go wrong.

Van Huskey
06-09-2010, 8:36 PM
Remember that the Rigid also has the belt feature, which can be very useful, so for the same price you get a small but functional edge sander. For me it's not an everyday usage, but great to have on occasion.

I had to return the first one I got as the spindle was wobbly, but given how easy returns are at HD, not much of an issue if you get a dud first.

It's not the cast iron sturdiness we all love in our tools, but it seems reasonably well made and for hobbyist usage and in this price range I think it's a great tool and I'm glad I have mine.

Ken

The belt sander part of the Rigid has a BIG downside...that being it will quickly make you realize you want/need a full sized belt sander! :D

Alan Schaffter
06-09-2010, 11:21 PM
If you can wait for one of these to show up on CL or Ebay, they can often be had for less than the cost of a small, bench-top unit. It may take some cleaning and a bit of paint but it will outlast you. I paid a tad over $200

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_3039.jpg

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1774/medium/IMG_3067.jpg