PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron router table installed, need help

Mike Reinholtz
06-09-2010, 10:56 AM
I upgraded by router table last weekend from a shop built one to a Bench Dog cast iron model with the Bench Dog lift. The install went pretty well, it's mounted on a 1940s Unisaw as an extension wing. 2 questions/ concerns:

1. I used to have a Rockler bucket screwed to the bottom of my old table that worked extremely well at collecting saw dust. Between this and my shop made fence both using 4" ports I caught 95% of the dust. Any ideas how to mount this to the CI table? I considered putting it in place and blocking it up with a 4x4 but am hoping someone else here has a better idea.

2. The table came with the Bench Dog pro fence, but I'm not sure I like it more than the fence I made. I'm not a fan of the 2 1/2" dust port or short height. Anyone use this and like it? I'm thinking of listing it in the classified section.

I also wanted to note that when I picked up the lift at Eagle tool, Jesse called Bench Dog to ask if my Milwaukee 5625-20 would fit and they said it wasn't listed as a supported model. Just to clear this up, this model does fit very well. The only modification needed is to remove the positioning screw on the router.

Ben Hatcher
06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Cast iron is pretty easy to drill using titanium nitride coated bits. I'd drill mounting holes through the wing, countersink them, and attach the enclosure with some countersunk bolts. Don't forget to use some lock tite on the nuts or they'll rattle off.

Your top no doubt has some webbing on the bottom. You can use open cell foam to fill the gap. If you have any old carpet foam, that works well. Otherwise, you can get foam at most fabric/craft stores.

Rick Markham
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Mike I am interested to see what you come up with! I was looking at the Rockler Dust bin thingy you got there. I have the same extension wing, and am contemplating the same solution to your very problem.

Me personally would rather find another way than drilling through the top. It's an awfully nice flat surface, I would have a problem drilling it and then living with myself afterward. Even knowing a good job wouldn't affect anything other than my OCD.

I like the foam buffer idea, Maybe angle iron to fasten to the saw rail or cabinet?

Mark Carlson
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
I think I see webbing around the router hole. I would attach wooden mounts to the vertical webbing and mount the router bucket to that. I would not drill into the top or through the top. Very nice setup by the way.

~mark

Bas Pluim
06-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Rare earth magnets?

Rick Markham
06-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Rare earth magnets?

Brilliant!!! :D

Mike Reinholtz
06-09-2010, 2:11 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I think my OCD is what holds me back from drilling the top. I wouldn't be happy with it no matter how neatly it's done. The Rockler box works extremely well, so far I've been very happy with it.

The angle iron coming off the rails sounds like a great place to start, I have some 1" and 1 1/2" sitting around that I can play with tonight. I'll write back after I try it. I'll check out the vertical webbing Mark referred to as well.

Thanks!

Jason White
06-09-2010, 4:03 PM
Maybe magnets might work?

I upgraded by router table last weekend from a shop built one to a Bench Dog cast iron model with the Bench Dog lift. The install went pretty well, it's mounted on a 1940s Unisaw as an extension wing. 2 questions/ concerns:

1. I used to have a Rockler bucket screwed to the bottom of my old table that worked extremely well at collecting saw dust. Between this and my shop made fence both using 4" ports I caught 95% of the dust. Any ideas how to mount this to the CI table? I considered putting it in place and blocking it up with a 4x4 but am hoping someone else here has a better idea.

2. The table came with the Bench Dog pro fence, but I'm not sure I like it more than the fence I made. I'm not a fan of the 2 1/2" dust port or short height. Anyone use this and like it? I'm thinking of listing it in the classified section.

I also wanted to note that when I picked up the lift at Eagle tool, Jesse called Bench Dog to ask if my Milwaukee 5625-20 would fit and they said it wasn't listed as a supported model. Just to clear this up, this model does fit very well. The only modification needed is to remove the positioning screw on the router.

Jim McFarland
06-10-2010, 10:06 PM
No tapped holes on the underside of the Bench Dog CI extension? I've had mine for a couple of years so maybe changes since then but mine has 1/4X20 tapped holes for attaching dust collection shroud. Reference this post for details:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70197