PDA

View Full Version : interchangable jaws for superNova-2

Roger Chandler
06-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I find that the 50mm jaws that come with the SN-2 are a bit too small for a lot of the things I turn, and the largest power grip jaws are too big, and was wondering if there are other jaws from vicmark or oneway that will fit the SN-2.

Does the hole spacing line up?

Mike Minto
06-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Roger, the only jaws that I know that will fit the SN2 are the Teknatool / Nova Jaws and Sorby Patriot jaws.

Michael Mills
06-09-2010, 4:02 PM
Nova also makes a 75mm jaw set (listed at Woodcraft).
I assume by the largest powergrip jaws you are talking about the 100mm powergrip jaws to fit the SN2, not the Titan Powergrip which are 125mm.
I have the 50mm and the 100mm powergrip jaws. Between expansion and contraction they have covered all of my needs so far.
Mike

Mike Peace
06-09-2010, 4:44 PM
I understand that the 75mm bowl jaws are very popular because they grip very well because of the large jaw face.

That said, I am with Michael Mills on this. The powergrip jaws work for me for turnings too big for the 50mm jaws. I understand that Oneway jaws can be made to fit but why bother?

Alan Trout
06-09-2010, 5:26 PM
I like the others tend to use my 50mm and then the power grips. There are also a new set of 70mm jaws that come in the new 4 jaw set. I have no used mine yet but they look promising. I really like the new 2 screw pin jaws in that set they are awesome. But if you want to use Vicmarc jaws on your Nova chuck it is possible. These are made by Vermec but you have to order them from Australia. http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/adaptorplates.pdf I have thought about ordering some but have never gotten around to it.

Good Luck

Alan

Wayne Spence
06-09-2010, 7:59 PM
Roger-According to the date from Teknatool when using the sn2 the largest diameter for the spigot or tenon use is 2.520 inches for the 50 mm and the smallest diameter fpr the 100mm jaws is 3.071 inches, a half inch gap. For the 75 mm jaws the range is 1.831 to 2.657 inches. You would have an overlap with the 50mm but still have a gap of 3/8 inch to the 100mm. Remember that the maximum contracting power is near the minimum diameter for any set of jaws.

Roger Chandler
06-09-2010, 8:06 PM
Roger-According to the date from Teknatool when using the sn2 the largest diameter for the spigot or tenon use is 2.520 inches for the 50 mm and the smallest diameter fpr the 100mm jaws is 3.071 inches, a half inch gap. For the 75 mm jaws the range is 1.831 to 2.657 inches. You would have an overlap with the 50mm but still have a gap of 3/8 inch to the 100mm. Remember that the maximum contracting power is near the minimum diameter for any set of jaws.

Thank you Wayne,

This is good information. I just seem to have hit several times when the tenon I turned was a little too big for the 50mm jaw set, and then just a bit small for the large power grip jaw set. I just thought that I might get an in-between set, but did not know if other manufactures sets would fit the nova series. I wasn't sure of the hole placing for the screws on other manufacturers jaws, and thought I might also get a 5 inch set for larger pieces.

Allen Neighbors
06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I just seem to have hit several times when the tenon I turned was a little too big for the 50mm jaw set, and then just a bit small for the large power grip jaw set.

When I turn a tenon on the tailstock end of a piece, I have a TMJ (TenonMeasuringJig) for cutting the right size tenon... Just a small gizmo made out of 1/8" thick masonite...

Most of the time, I turn the tenon on the headstock end, (turning between centers with the spur drive mounted in the chuck)... I have the jaws right there, so it's easy to get it near perfect every time.

Speaking of jaws... there are some adapters you can buy that will allow all the Vicmarc jaws to fit on the Nova Chucks... just don't remember what they're called.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2010, 3:54 PM
[QUOTE=Allen Neighbors;1442588]

Most of the time, I turn the tenon on the headstock end, (turning between centers with the spur drive mounted in the chuck)... I have the jaws right there, so it's easy to get it near perfect every time.

Allen,

"A spur drive mounted in the chuck" I was not aware that a spur drive was available to be mounted in the chuck [I guess I need to pay more attention to the woodturning catalogs :o ]

Does Teknatool make one for the SN-2? I have been using the spur drive that came with the lathe, but I could see the ease and efficiency of a chuck mounted spur drive and see how turning the tenon on the heastock end would almost make it automatic.

Thanks for the info!

Mike Peace
06-10-2010, 6:47 PM
Yes, Teknatool has one readily available from Woodcraft and others for about $17. I have one but have not used it much.

Allen, I nver thought about the advantage of being able to eyeball the correct tenon by using the spur drive in the chuck right there holding the tenon so close to the 50MM jaws. Great tip!

Roger Chandler
06-10-2010, 7:36 PM
Yes, Teknatool has one readily available from Woodcraft and others for about $17. I have one but have not used it much.

Allen, I nver thought about the advantage of being able to eyeball the correct tenon by using the spur drive in the chuck right there holding the tenon so close to the 50MM jaws. Great tip!

I think I will order one ASAP!

Neil Strong
06-10-2010, 9:19 PM
But if you want to use Vicmarc jaws on your Nova chuck it is possible. These are made by Vermec but you have to order them from Australia. http://vermec.tripod.com/PDFs/adaptorplates.pdf

I have the Vermec adaptors and they work just fine. You do have to drill the Vicmarc jaw screw holes out to fit the SN screws, that doesn't stop them still being used on a Vicmarc chuck.

With the adaptors, your options between 50mm and 100mm are:

VM 55mm shark jaws
VN 72mm dovetail jaws
VM 74mm shark jaws
Nova 75mm bowl jaws
Nova 75mm long nosed jaw set
Nova 77.5mm step jaws
VM 88mm shark jaws

Nova did make a set of 85mm bowl jaws for a while which they called 75mm jaws (prob a QA hiccup), but those 75mm jaws are now 75mm. There could be someone out there who ended up with the 85mm set who doesn't want them.... I wouldn't let mine go for anything....:)

Allen Neighbors
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Roger and Mike: I use just a normal #2 morse taper, 4 prong spur drive. I just insert it into the center of the 50mm jaws; the center of the jaws hold it right behind the head, which leaves about 3/4" of the spur drive protruding past the jaw ends. This makes it really nice. The jaws are nearly closed when it grabs the spur drive, and when I turn the tenon down to just a tiny bit smaller than the outside of the jaws, it's perfectly sized.
I can take a pic tomorrow morning if you'd like. It really does work well.

Roger Chandler
06-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Roger and Mike: I use just a normal #2 morse taper, 4 prong spur drive. I just insert it into the center of the 50mm jaws; the center of the jaws hold it right behind the head, which leaves about 3/4" of the spur drive protruding past the jaw ends. This makes it really nice. The jaws are nearly closed when it grabs the spur drive, and when I turn the tenon down to just a tiny bit smaller than the outside of the jaws, it's perfectly sized.

Allen,

thanks for the info, and offer of pics about using the spur center. I like this idea, and think it will make sizing a tenon/foot a lot easier to turn to fit into the chuck. Thanks again!

Allen Neighbors
06-11-2010, 2:19 PM
No 2 Morse Taper Spur Drive mounts easily in G3 (and SN2) Chuck. This puts the jaws right there so you can turn a tenon down to size easily, without measurements.
You can see when it's in the chuck, it's held by the inner circle of the base of the 50 mm jaws, and the jaws are nearly fully closed, which is the perfect size for the tenon.
Turn the tenon next to the jaws, and size it to fit the inside edge of the jaws, not to match the outside edge.
Here, the G3 is mounted on my Little Vicmarc, where I'd been turning cedar scoops between centers.

Matt Owen
06-11-2010, 3:48 PM
I think I will order one ASAP!

Of all the Teknatool products that I have, I like all of them except the Nova chuck spur. Each time I've used it, the spurs tear out the surrounding wood. I think the main problem is that the center point is too long, which limits the amount of the spur length that you can insert into the turning blank. I would highly recommend using something different if you haven't already purchased one.

Matt

Roger Chandler
06-11-2010, 4:23 PM
No 2 Morse Taper Spur Drive mounts easily in G3 (and SN2) Chuck. This puts the jaws right there so you can turn a tenon down to size easily, without measurements.
You can see when it's in the chuck, it's held by the inner circle of the base of the 50 mm jaws, and the jaws are nearly fully closed, which is the perfect size for the tenon.
Turn the tenon next to the jaws, and size it to fit the inside edge of the jaws, not to match the outside edge.
Here, the G3 is mounted on my Little Vicmarc, where I'd been turning cedar scoops between centers.

Allen,
Thank you for taking the time to respond in such a helpful way. This arrangement of chuck and morse taper spur drive had never occurred to me, but it sure looks like it is the ticket for correctly sizing tenons for mounting in the chuck.
One good thing about this forum, is that the folks who interact here are by and large a helpful group, and each new turner doesn't have to try to re-invent the wheel all over again for themselves....:)

I appreciate your time and effort!

Roger Chandler
06-17-2010, 8:39 PM

Allen,

I used your technique with putting a spur drive in my chuck, and it worked slick as a whistle! I had a ready reference to size the tenon on a cherry bowl this afternoon, and it really sped up the process.

Thanks for being "Neighborly" :D and helping a fellow turner with a new technique.... I appreciate your postings of pics and information!

Allen Neighbors
06-17-2010, 9:46 PM
Anytime, Friend; that's what this forum is all about: sharing information to promote the craft. :D

Neil Strong
06-19-2010, 1:24 AM
No 2 Morse Taper Spur Drive mounts easily in G3 (and SN2) Chuck.

Thumbs Up!, Allen.