PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder bowl

John Keeton
06-09-2010, 9:19 AM
When I first started turning, most of you know that I was buying (and still do!) wood from Mike Smith. One of the earlier pieces was box elder, but it was still wet. I rough turned it, and sealed it. Recently, I decided to finish turn it though it wasn't fully dry.

Got a little warp, but not bad at all.

Nothing special here, just a bowl. About 11" or so - forgot to measure and it is still in the shop. I have always like this ogee form. This is my first use of Minwax Antique Oil, and I would have to say it is very simple to use. Double Beall buffed - no wax yet, but probably will get that, too.

Sorry, David Keller, for the foot:o, but I am one of those that actually prefers them.

charlie knighton
06-09-2010, 9:29 AM
very nice...

Tim Rinehart
06-09-2010, 9:38 AM
Very nice bowl John, and your proportions look good. During the recent workshops we had with Jimmy Clewes, he emphasized a couple times about not making the bottom of the ogee curve (in your bowl) too big in proportion to the top, to keep it from looking bottom heavy.
I don't know why, but for me, as I'm striking that curve in the rough, it's very hard to keep it from getting heavy. I think the mind is saying "make the bowl hold more" vs "make it look better". If I draw it out...it is always going to look better with the lighter bottom as in your example.

Nice.

Oh, and I'm sure you've heard the cheat for box elder, regarding fading of the red. I don't do it (yet), but there is supposed to be a great technique using some particular spray color, usually or typically by airbrush, to highlight those natural red areas, and it's permanent. Perhaps someone will chime in on that for everyone's benefit.

Roger Chandler
06-09-2010, 10:03 AM
John,

Nice bowl, and I like the form, and the fact you DID leave a foot on it!

bob svoboda
06-09-2010, 10:36 AM
John. Nice flowing curve, and, I really like the delicate rim. I believe some bowls look good with a foot and this is certainly one of them!

Bob Bergstrom
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
I think this one hit the ogee curve just right. A gentle curve from bottom to the rim. Sometimes it is the simplest forms that are the hardest to get right. I too am a foot fetish guy, and like the foot to elevate the bowl. Great job and as always amazing workmanship and artistry. Thanks John for sharing

Mark Cothren
06-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Very nice bowl, John!

John Keeton
06-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for looking and commenting - not much special here, but it was an easy turn!

Very nice bowl John, and your proportions look good. During the recent workshops we had with Jimmy Clewes, he emphasized a couple times about not making the bottom of the ogee curve (in your bowl) too big in proportion to the top, to keep it from looking bottom heavy.
I don't know why, but for me, as I'm striking that curve in the rough, it's very hard to keep it from getting heavy. I think the mind is saying "make the bowl hold more" vs "make it look better". If I draw it out...it is always going to look better with the lighter bottom as in your example.Tim, I have only done this form a couple of times, and I have used a ruler that is on my bench to get the curve right. I want it to touch in three places - the rim, the foot, and a spot about a third up from the bottom of the bowl. Once it does that, then I develop the ogee. Seems to work pretty well.

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Good looking bowl John! The small foot works!

Cathy Schaewe
06-09-2010, 12:29 PM
If you have a chance, I'd be interested in knowing the height, as well as the dimension of the rim. I find it interesting to know those things when actually looking at something I like, so I know what the proportions are. It's a very nice bowl -

Michelle Rich
06-09-2010, 1:06 PM
looks light and that it wants to levitate...I like it

Allen Neighbors
06-09-2010, 1:41 PM
Beautiful bowl, John!!

steven carter
06-09-2010, 1:51 PM
John,

Really nice bowl, even a simple bowl done correctly can be on object of beauty! I have done several bowls with a foot of similar height and I think that on some bowls it is much better than without the foot. Some seem to think that any foot on a bowl is detrimental to good form, but I am not one of them.

I've not turned box elder yet, but my son who is a golf course superintendent tells me there is one on the course that has been damaged an may be coming down soon, so I may get some.

Steve

Tony De Masi
06-09-2010, 1:53 PM
Nice job John. At times I put a foot on the bottom as well and if you're after that ogee form, them it's kind of tough to get without the foot.

Tony

Mike Peace
06-09-2010, 2:23 PM
Beautiful form. I like your thought about the sides touching in three places. I tend to like a foot to elevate the bowl unless it is turned completely green and is going to rock no matter what.

John Keeton
06-09-2010, 2:54 PM
If you have a chance, I'd be interested in knowing the height, as well as the dimension of the rim. I find it interesting to know those things when actually looking at something I like, so I know what the proportions are. It's a very nice bowl -Cathy, the dimensions are - 11.25" wide, 2.75" tall, and the rim is .75" wide, and 3/16" thick.

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2010, 6:03 PM
John is that the one on the bench? Looks like it turned out really well. Finish looks good.

David E Keller
06-09-2010, 7:54 PM
Sorry, David Keller, for the foot:o, but I am one of those that actually prefers them.

I like it... Foot and all! It may be that you are slowly wearing me down and converting me to the foot side!:eek:

Perhaps I would be more accurate in saying that I rarely like anything I turn that has a foot on it... Truth is that I often don't care for the things I turn without a foot either.

Curt Fuller
06-09-2010, 8:01 PM
I've got to agree with you on both the form and the foot. I also like that style bowl and it looks good with the small foot. Nice bowl!

Brian Effinger
06-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Very nice John. It has it all - a pleasing form, beautiful coloring, and even a foot ;) .

Well done.

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 6:24 AM
Bernie, Curt, David and Brian - thanks!!

John is that the one on the bench? Looks like it turned out really well. Finish looks good.That would be it, Bernie! Hope your trip is going well!

It may be that you are slowly wearing me down and converting me to the foot side!:eek:All part of a diabolical plan!!

Donny Lawson
06-10-2010, 6:49 AM
I like the shape and design.Like you said nothing fancy but it's nice all the same.John, you have always done great work.
Donny