PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Lagoon at Full Moon

John Keeton
06-09-2010, 9:12 AM
Not only have I been sucked into the vortex, it is making a poet of me!!!:eek:

This is another clamshell piece, similar to the one I did sometime back, and also done recently by JD Combs. This is a glue up of two pieces of curly maple, each turned on the inside and finished, then glued together and finish turned on the outside. Dyed black, sanded back, then dyed blue. The amber tone of the maple gave the turquoise color.

I planned to do this piece as another dye project. But, this last weekend I had the opportunity to actually handle several turnings by well known turners, and I was amazed that they were much smaller than I had imagined from the photos I see of their work on other sites.

So, with this one, I wanted to try small. The piece is 4" wide, and 4" tall to the tip of the Blackwood finial. The walls are about 1/8". I turned this piece by "sound" by continually tapping on the walls to get the thickness as consistent as possible - talk about blind turning!!:eek: The finial itself is 2.75" long tip to tip, and is .08" thick at the neck.

The pearl inset is drilled out, and each of the Blackwood components are tenoned into the pearl with 1/16" tenons. Thanks to Steve Schlumpf for the idea on the pearl!!

Finish is lacquer, sanded flat, buffed with 0000, and then triple Beall buffed with Ren wax.

This piece was not intended to be a "signature piece" by any means, and was really an exercise turning for the dye application. But, it ended up being a fun piece to play with.

Comments welcome!

charlie knighton
06-09-2010, 9:38 AM
very nice...

i went to the richmond symposium and viewed the instant gallery, i was also surprized at the sizes of the pieces, for the majority, there were large pices, but mostly smaller

it makes sense, where are you going to display large pieces, where as a small piece fits on end table, coffee table, mantle, etc

thats when i decided on the 1642 lathe, couse i had to buy extension :D

Rick Prosser
06-09-2010, 9:40 AM
WOW, that's just...wow!

I keep flip-flopping on the pearl. I like the pearl, but the white color - I can't figure out if it is too much contrast, or perfect.:confused:
It is striking, but it pulls my eyes up from the form.

John Hart
06-09-2010, 9:51 AM
The word that came to mind to me is "Elegant". There is something about this piece where its entire persona is that of elegance, demanding to hold just a few pieces of a woman's favorite jewelry. Too bad it's glued together!!!:D

The poetry is befitting too. Nice name.

bob svoboda
06-09-2010, 9:53 AM
I agree with 'elegant'. Very nice. The poet part???:D

Roger Chandler
06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
John,
Once again you have done a very creative piece. I like the finishing that brings the color out on the maple. The pearl is a great idea [IMHO] and the form is good.

The embellishments on this piece is what makes it in my opinion, and I like the fact that you turned it in halves and glued together. Getting a hollowing tool in that small a piece would truly be an invitation to a swearing session at the lathe because of the most probable catches.

This one makes me want to try dyes myself, but I will have to find out about the process because I haven't used any of yet. Do you use wood dyes or some other type?

Paul Douglass
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Another beauty. I like the dyed woods.

Tony De Masi
06-09-2010, 10:17 AM
I also agree with the "elegant" term for this piece. I keep saying that I'm not going to be amazed by your next piece, but I always am.

Tony

Ted Evans
06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Beautiful piece John, small is kind of fun eh? I really like the finial, very elegant and the kind of lines I wish I could do. I hope you do not mind if I try to copy it.

Dick Strauss
06-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Holy Cow John,
This one is stunning! Excellent work on the form and coloring! The pearl in the finial kind of reminds me of a light shining from a lighthouse tower off in the distance. The shape of the finial also reminds me of something more akin to a mosque minaret.

Tim Rinehart
06-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Excellent John, you've done it again!
I like everything about it, and plan to do some experimenting with dyes a bit more. My first piece not quite how I had hoped, but takes practice like anything.

...so...how did you get pearl down past the first disc of your finial?? :p

steven carter
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
"Keats" Keeton:eek:,

Very nice! I'm thinking the pearl probably looks better in person than the photos, not sure a photo of a pearl could do it justice. I've not turned any stone, but wonder how alabaster would work? Just a thought.
Beautiful finaial.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
06-09-2010, 11:31 AM
John - for an experiment, it sure worked out well!

Great color and theme! Looking forward to seeing the next 'experiment'!!

John Keeton
06-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, guys for the comments!
I keep flip-flopping on the pearl. I like the pearl, but the white color - I can't figure out if it is too much contrast, or perfect.:confused:
It is striking, but it pulls my eyes up from the form.Rick, since the pearl is part of the theme of the piece, I felt it needed to be a little more prominent than one might do otherwise - besides, it is the smallest size I could find rummaging through Ms. Keeton's craft stash!!:D As I have noted below, it is not nearly as white as the pics appear.

This one makes me want to try dyes myself, but I will have to find out about the process because I haven't used any of yet. Do you use wood dyes or some other type?Roger, the dyes I used are some toy dyes I have had for a long time. They came from Highland Hardware as I recall. They will mix in water or alcohol, but water works better for my applications. The process is pretty easy, but you want to finish sand the piece before doing anything as the scratch pattern will show if you don't.

I sanded to 400, forward and reverse, then dyed the piece black. Gave it 10 minutes or so to dry while spinning, then sanded again with 400 - more in the middle of the form than at the edge and center so as to leave a blended look to the next color.

Then, applied the blue dye, let dry again, and very lightly buffed with 0000. Then applied the lacquer.

Very simple - you need to try it!

Beautiful piece John, small is kind of fun eh? I really like the finial, very elegant and the kind of lines I wish I could do. I hope you do not mind if I try to copy it.Ted, have at it! I certainly have copied several I have seen!

The pearl in the finial kind of reminds me of a light shining from a lighthouse tower off in the distance. The shape of the finial also reminds me of something more akin to a mosque minaret.Dick, that is kind of a neat idea!! Maybe it needs to be titled "Lighthouse at Midnight Lagoon!"

"Keats" Keeton:eek:,

Very nice! I'm thinking the pearl probably looks better in person than the photos, not sure a photo of a pearl could do it justice. I've not turned any stone, but wonder how alabaster would work? Just a thought.
Beautiful finaial.

SteveSteve, the pearl was very difficult to photograph as it really bounced the light. I didn't have the patience to play with the setup, but yes, it does look better in person, and actually is not nearly as white as it appears in the pics. The alabaster sounds interesting, too. The neat thing with the pearl was that I could drill it.....and, I didn't have to turn it!

Steve, thanks!! Fortunately, or unfortunately, you get to carry a good portion of the credit or scorn with this piece!!!! I like the pearl, and I certainly appreciate the input.

gary Zimmel
06-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Yet another great piece John.
I'm thinking you may have to get a couple more lathes and start giving lessons...

Thom Sturgill
06-09-2010, 12:02 PM
John - for an experiment, it sure worked out well!

Great color and theme! Looking forward to seeing the next 'experiment'!!
Don't we all. Great piece, John.

Frank Van Atta
06-09-2010, 12:30 PM
A very beautiful piece, John. I especially like the dye job. I've been experimenting with multi-colored dye applications, but can't seem to get the hang of it yet (in english, that means that stuff isn't coming out the way I planned/envisioned).

Michelle Rich
06-09-2010, 1:03 PM
STUNNING lovely work..

Scott Lux
06-09-2010, 3:25 PM
Absolutely gorgeous piece. I was a trifle disappointed to not see a smaller pearl on the bottom of the finial. I think the surprise factor would be great, and a nice bit of symmetry.

Roland Martin
06-09-2010, 5:18 PM
Wow, that curly maple is perfect with the dyes you used. The blue and black is gorgeous and really pulls out and defines the curl. Overall John, this is a very well done piece, once again.
When you do a two piece form like this, I assume it gets glued together between the head and tail stock? At what point do you turn a recess for the collar and glue that in place? As you can see, I'm trying to figure out what and when the different steps are taken and in what order. If you don't mind giving me a little insight on how you do these, I'd certainly appreciate it. There are bound to be others that could benefit from this also.

Thanks for posting this little treasure John, I never tire of the great turnings you show us.

Bernie Weishapl
06-09-2010, 5:54 PM
John all I can say is elegant and beautiful. Really well done my friend.

Toney Robertson
06-09-2010, 6:36 PM
John,

I think you have found your signature - dyed pieces.

Toney

David E Keller
06-09-2010, 7:41 PM
I love the coloring... very, very nice. I'm not sure about the pearl, but i greatly appreciate the willingness to try something new. The form looks great, and the finial is a nice match. Thanks for another bit of inspiration.

Don Alexander
06-09-2010, 8:38 PM
experimentation is medicine to the soul ..........................or
maybe its just fun :)

Jake Helmboldt
06-09-2010, 8:46 PM
You guys have created a monster.

John's volume of turning alone is killing me (as I struggle to find time to finish the few I have drying). But then add in the incredible progression and I'm beginning to think someone planted a sandbagger in our midst.

That's my way of saying "nice work" John. ;)

JH

Matt Ranum
06-09-2010, 9:43 PM
This thing looks incredible John. Normally I'm not that big of a fan of dyes but this is just stunning!

Mark Burge
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow, snazzy piece John. I love the color. Nice experiment.

Brian Effinger
06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Wowee, beautiful form John. The color is great, and it kind of gives it a translucence. The pearl is a nice touch, and I really like the hidden pawn under the finial.

I'd say this has been a successful experiment! :)

Jeff Nicol
06-10-2010, 12:19 AM
John, THe next step is an air brush and youcan create things that will blow your mind and ours too! I have 3 of them and need to stop making metal things and get busy with the wood!

That is a beautiful piece of art you have created there! How many have been coaxed away from you by others? Soon you will have to open a gallery in your shop to draw in the masses that surely will be beating a path to your door!

Keep them coming!

Jeff

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 6:45 AM
Thanks all - you guys are too kind!!

When you do a two piece form like this, I assume it gets glued together between the head and tail stock? At what point do you turn a recess for the collar and glue that in place? As you can see, I'm trying to figure out what and when the different steps are taken and in what order. If you don't mind giving me a little insight on how you do these, I'd certainly appreciate it.Roland, this piece does not have an inset collar. The area around the finial is just black from the dye, and it has been turned with some beads and a recess for the finial. I did post some pics on a previous "clamshell" piece here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136887&highlight=clamshell) that describe the process, though.

John,

I think you have found your signature - dyed pieces.

ToneyCould be!! I do enjoy them Toney, though I know you nearly have a stroke every time you see one of these!!:o Perhaps I can find forgiveness for adulterating the wood!

Donny Lawson
06-10-2010, 6:56 AM
John, this piece is stunning to me.I think it's the way the colors flow together or something.You should do a tutorial on this. I like the blue dye.
Donny

Roland Martin
06-10-2010, 7:37 AM
[QUOTE=John Keeton;1442786]Thanks all - you guys are too kind!!
Roland, this piece does not have an inset collar. The area around the finial is just black from the dye, and it has been turned with some beads and a recess for the finial. I did post some pics on a previous "clamshell" piece here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=136887&highlight=clamshell) that describe the process, though.]

Thank you John, my memory isn't what I would like it to be. I think I may have forgotten half of what I've learned in life. The 60's & 70's are catching up to me:D:mad::eek:.

Faust M. Ruggiero
06-10-2010, 7:59 AM
I wish we could have seen the vision you had in your mind's eye before you began this piece. I'll bet that other than the results of the dye process, you saw this shape and form and probably even refined it before you even mounted the blank. I always believed that how it works in an artistic mind. Sweet job.
fmr

Rob Cunningham
06-10-2010, 8:04 AM
Another stunning piece John.

Jim Underwood
06-10-2010, 1:42 PM
Just caught sight of this thing...

The EYE is LOOKING at me!:eek:

Seriously, this is a cool piece. We've learned to expect this kind of work from you...

John Hart
06-10-2010, 1:59 PM
Ya know...Jim's right. It does sorta look like an eye. I never noticed...

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 3:14 PM
Jim, you and John Hart may have some serious paranoia issues!!!:D:D:D

I apologize in advance if this has caused you nightmares!!

Jim Underwood
06-10-2010, 5:48 PM
Seriously, it looks like the Eye of Sauron, just the wrong color....

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 8:52 PM
Seriously, it looks like the Eye of Sauron, just the wrong color....Jim, now that I take another look at it - YOUR RIGHT!! Surely, I haven't created something Satanic here!!:eek::D;)

Toney Robertson
06-10-2010, 9:16 PM
Could be!! I do enjoy them Toney, though I know you nearly have a stroke every time you see one of these!!:o Perhaps I can find forgiveness for adulterating the wood!

CLEAR

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/055/4/f/Code_Blue_by_leogomes91.gif

Neil Strong
06-10-2010, 9:41 PM
Swish......!!!

John Keeton
06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
CLEAR

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/055/4/f/Code_Blue_by_leogomes91.gifNow that was funny!!

James Combs
06-11-2010, 12:05 AM
If I didn't loose count there was about 6 "elegants" in this posting. Let me make it 7. WOW.

Mark Hubl
06-13-2010, 1:54 PM
Another nice piece. Good outcome for the experiment. I personally think that color can add greatly to a piece's "eye" appeal. The colors really work for me on this one. I think the elegance of this piece comes from the simplicity in the lines.

I also think this one begs to be a true clam shell. Would be great to pop the top and put some small jewelry in there.

On a side note, John. I visited SOFA last year and too was surprised at the scale of some of the more popular artists pieces. They of course ran the gamut from tiny to gigantic, but many were a much smaller scale than I had imagined them. It was interesting to see them close up.