PDA

View Full Version : What tools does Stanley make that are still good?

James Taglienti
06-09-2010, 8:14 AM
We all know about the decline of Stanley- From making the best artisan's tools in the country, to producing the automatic door openers at the grocery store.

What do they make that is still good?

My vote goes to their "fat max" levels and measuring tapes. Those are quality products. Anything else?

Brian Greb
06-09-2010, 8:28 AM
+1 on the fat max level... there k-body clamps aren't that bad either. The new SW planes seem good and only require as much fettling as the old models. But alas I think in the near future they will make nothing of quility... crap & decker has that effect on companies. Just my 2 cents... I could be wrong... and I hope that maybe Stanly will be a survivor like dewalt.

John Coloccia
06-09-2010, 8:35 AM
My vote goes to their "fat max" levels and measuring tapes. Those are quality products. Anything else?

When I read the thread title, I snickered and thought to myself "Their tape measure aren't too bad. Not as nice as my FastCaps, but not totally screwed up like everything else. Oh, and I really like their fat max level".

As far as I can tell, everything else, including their SurForm, is completely messed up. How can you get a SurForm wrong? The thing doesn't even need to be straight, yet they can somehow manage it that the cutters don't fit right and now my cutter refills are cracking after 20 minutes of light use.

I'll be interested to see if there are some real gems from Stanley that I've missed.

Larry Marshall
06-09-2010, 9:36 AM
future they will make nothing of quility... crap & decker has that effect on companies. Just my 2 cents... I could be wrong... and I hope that maybe Stanly will be a survivor like dewalt.

It's not any of Stanley's competitors that affect the quality point they target. It's North American consumers who ignore quality completely in the name of saving a buck. It runs all products to low quality, whether you're talking about tools or hamburgers.

Cheers --- Larry

James Taglienti
06-09-2010, 9:53 AM
John-
I like the fastcap too. And they're half the price. They don't last too long in the field, but in the shop they are great. The 12 ft. metal cased Stanley is almost as nice.

I like the stanley fat max tapes for their standout and durability, but the standout comes at a cost- they are almost a semicircle in cross section and a pain in the butt to mark things accurately. The fastcap is a little flatter and the black on white is easier on my eyes.

I was just at an auction with some newer stanley things- There was some very gimmicky stuff- like a 3 part flashlight that deploys into 3 smaller lights.

Not everything Fat Max is good. They started with just the tapes, and when the Fat Max became a sign of quality, they pasted the name on every piece of junk with a big rubber handle. For Shame!

Zach England
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I have a Stanley 90 that I purchased new. It is pretty good. The machining is accurate and the finish is good. I believe it was made in the UK. Maybe they are NOS. I don't know, truthfully. I bought it from Lee Valley.

Jose Morales-Wade
06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Their new low angle block plane seems to be good. I have to admit I bought one and so far so good.

David Hostetler
06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I have a set of Fat Max chisels that are about 2 years old. Backs were dead flat, and they were extremely sharp out of the package. They hold a good edge, certainly money well spent.

The tape measures, injection molded tool boxes, and cast metal utility knives all seem to be worth their cost. I also have a set of Stanley screwdrivers that are pretty nice to work with. Not quite like my Snap On set, but far and away better than any of the other cheapie sets I own...

Frank Drew
06-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Their heavy-duty tool boxes are pretty good.

Jim Koepke
06-09-2010, 10:56 AM
+1 on the fat max level... there k-body clamps aren't that bad either. The new SW planes seem good and only require as much fettling as the old models. But alas I think in the near future they will make nothing of quility... crap & decker has that effect on companies. Just my 2 cents... I could be wrong... and I hope that maybe Stanly will be a survivor like dewalt.

It's not any of Stanley's competitors that affect the quality point they target. It's North American consumers who ignore quality completely in the name of saving a buck. It runs all products to low quality, whether you're talking about tools or hamburgers.

Cheers --- Larry

I think what Brian was alluding to is that Black & Decker and Stanley are now both under the same corporate umbrella.

jim

Brian Greb
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
I think what Brian was alluding to is that Black & Decker and Stanley are now both under the same corporate umbrella.

jim

You nailed it jim

James Taglienti
06-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Do they still make bostich? I have some bostich nailers that are good

jerry nazard
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM
No. 46-123 combination square. That model only. IIRC, several articles in FWW over the years have singled out that square as an excellent value.

Mark Roderick
06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
It's actually amazing how bad some of these tools are, and how far some of the old brands have fallen.

Before knowing anything about tools I bought a Black & Decker jig saw to cut a hole for a soffet vent. The darned thing could hardly cut the 3/4" wood! On a whim I bought a Bosch to replace it and there was no looking back.

But the point is, how do you manufacture a jig saw that won't cut wood? And how do you stay in business doing it?

I guess once you decide that (1) you're going to sell tools, and (2) you're going to sell millions of units, that puts you in the business of selling low-priced items in home centers and Walmart and from there you have no choice.

lowell holmes
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Dewalt, Porter Cable and Delta are there too.

Brian Greb
06-09-2010, 1:22 PM

Yep... and the quality of those will probably drop more in the future too. A prime example is the new "porter cable" stationary tools sold at Lowes... There lower quality tools just branded porter cable. But it seams like Crap & decker is trying not to mess with the Delta and DeWalt brands... I have only noticed a drop in the quality of the accessories for those two.

lowell holmes
06-09-2010, 2:01 PM
What is sad, the B&D router (vintage 1960's) I have is rock solid. It is a steel case, and looks like an ELU which became Dewalt. I also have a Dewalt 610 (a good router) that looks like the B&D and the ELU. They used to be good tools.

The 1960's B&D router was my Dad's. In the 1980's they came out with some yellow plastic routers that were junk.:mad:

Stew Hagerty
06-09-2010, 2:43 PM
I guess once you decide that (1) you're going to sell tools, and (2) you're going to sell millions of units, that puts you in the business of selling low-priced items in home centers and Walmart and from there you have no choice.

IMHO, the Big Box Home Centers have been the downfall of lots of products from tools to hardware and even homewares. Like you said, they are all about selling volume and they could care less about quality. They're banking on all the people ou there that will either use the thing just one time then forget about it, or just never bring back junk in the first place.

Stew Hagerty
06-09-2010, 6:02 PM

I wasn't saying that everything at the Big Boxes was junk, but that many of the brands that they carry have gotten watered down because of it. They seem to keep carrying just enough good stuff to keep people like me coming through the front doors.

John Coloccia
06-09-2010, 7:31 PM
I have a set of Fat Max chisels that are about 2 years old. Backs were dead flat, and they were extremely sharp out of the package. They hold a good edge, certainly money well spent.

The tape measures, injection molded tool boxes, and cast metal utility knives all seem to be worth their cost. I also have a set of Stanley screwdrivers that are pretty nice to work with. Not quite like my Snap On set, but far and away better than any of the other cheapie sets I own...

I have a Fat Max utility knife, I believe, and it's OK, but the mechanism is already starting to loosen up and become difficult to work. It's only a year or two old and it's seen nothing but light use. Blade changes are getting more difficult. My dad's old Stanley knife is still going strong with 0 issues.

I forgot about their screwdrivers though. Until I bought my Weras, my old Stanley multi screwdriver was my goto. It was the only thing I owned that both fit and wasn't made out of cream cheese. I'm glad to hear they can still make a screwdriver.

Glad you're having luck with the chisels as well. I have a feeling that their quality is all over the place because some people will get a great (or at least decent) chisel or plane, and others will get a basket case. There's something to be said for having 10 of them in front of you and picking the one you like :)

Thomas Nye
06-09-2010, 7:40 PM
I have the complete set of Stanley Fat Max Chisels. I bought them when I used to work at Lowes. I have found them to be of excellent quality and are much cheaper than some of the premium makers. I bought the 6 piece set, then I bought the individual sizes not in that set, total I think I have 9 of them. They range from 1/4" to 2" I believe. I also have a set of sears craftsman chisels and I feel the Fat Max are better than them. I think I have like $80 in the complete set, a chisel from a premium maker will cost more than that for only one. I also have a fat max level, tape measure and some other items and have been impresse with them all. Nothing with the stanley name is made as good as it was years ago, but some of it is better than other brands out there.

Paul Ryan
06-09-2010, 8:17 PM
Most of stanley's premium tools, the fat max, I have been very happy with. Ya, there are better tools out there but they are considerably more money. You can compare a blue spruce chisel to a stanley fat max. But there tapes, levels, even hand tools are decent. Stanley also owns MAC tools which are pretty good quality. There are in the same class as Snap on. I own some of each for different reasons.

I think many of use forget if a tools is cheap there are reasons for it. I occasionally buy cheap tools. If it is a tools I will use often, have very good accuracy, and longevity, I will spend more for it. But from time to time I require a tool that I have never needed before and don't need it to be premium, so I dont have a problem buying a cheap tool, harbor freight, tool shop, you know the brands.

Stanley can and does produce good tools yet but they do cost more. It is a fact of life, most of the time you get what you pay for.

Dave Lehnert
06-09-2010, 10:14 PM
IMHO, the Big Box Home Centers have been the downfall of lots of products from tools to hardware and even homewares. Like you said, they are all about selling volume and they could care less about quality. They're banking on all the people ou there that will either use the thing just one time then forget about it, or just never bring back junk in the first place.

Working in retail I have to say that is not correct. We have a saying "we buy what we sell, we don't sell what we buy" I have never seen a retailer be able to stay in business selling what the customer "DON"T WANT"
It's all about PRICE. Go to a Harbor Freight on a Saturday. The place is packed. The store is not full because they are selling top quality tools.

Larry Halberstadt
06-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I like their FuBar. Aptly named for the current state of this company.

harry strasil
06-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Snafu, Tarfu, Fubar.

Paul Incognito
06-10-2010, 5:21 AM
Do they still make bostich? I have some bostich nailers that are good
I have a variety of old and new Bostich nailers. The old ones are far better than the new ones. My newer narrow crown stapler never worked right, right out of the box. I got it fixed, it lasted 2 jobs and went south again. I replaced it with a cheap Dewalt, we'll see how long that lasts.
If you're looking for new nail guns, Senco for finish, Hitachi for roofing and framing, IMO.
PI

Steve Branam
06-10-2010, 7:12 AM
Yeah, chisels and tapes and levels and stuff, but what about their planes? Like their good old Bailey 4, 5, and 6 that you can still buy retail or online, sometimes listed as "contractor grade"? A few years ago I got one of each that I've found usable, but I don't have any experience with higher end stuff, so I can't really judge.

Keith Weber
06-10-2010, 7:45 AM
I like their Anti-Vibe Hammers. I have two 16-oz. and one 22-oz framer. I like the slim handle when you need to get into a tight spot. That said... it's a hammer -- it'd be pretty hard to screw up the quality on that as long as the handle stays attached to the head. Come to think of it, that's happened quite a few times in my life with other hammers. Maybe that's why I like the Stanleys now.

Keith

James Taglienti
06-10-2010, 7:50 AM
Paul,
I've got a 25 year old Bostich coil nailer that is great, though it is heavy. I have also got their brad nailer and headless pinner, both are about 6 years old. Theyre great too. I have had their narrow crown stapler. It also never worked right, misfired, set staples at varying depths, and was basically a piece of junk. I "dropped" it on the slab in a new build and the casting cracked. I went back to the 30+year old senco stapler and it has outperformed by a long shot. It's slimmer, too.

I have the Hitachi 15 ga angled finish nailer. The older style, it's great, but it leaves gaping holes in the work. Hitachi was great before they decided to go all "Tribal Gummy Bear" with their designs. The rubber just peels right off, sometimes on the store shelf!

Mark Roderick
06-10-2010, 9:24 AM
Funny you should say that. Twenty years ago I bought a B&D router from my neighbor, who was about 85 years old and moving to Florida. It was the kind you describe, rock solid with a steel case. Probably dating back to the 60s or even earlier. I'm still using that router.

john brenton
06-10-2010, 10:39 AM
"sharptooth" fine finish saws are a good bargain as well. It's too bad Stanley doesn't go all out and go back to making the tools they used to make, but it seems like it just isn't catching on. I spoke to a friend of mine who seems to know everything about what's new in tools and he had no idea that Stanley had put out a new line of higher quality planes. The Stanley website has the new No. 4 Smoother, and the No.62 low angle jack plane for $150.00 (each, of course).

Dave Ring
06-10-2010, 1:35 PM
If I recall correctly, the last English-made Stanley Bailey 4's and 5's (with plastic handles) sold for around $100 in the U.S. If Stanley were to build these models to pre-WWII standards and with bubinga handles they would probably have to retail for at least $150. That's getting close to the price of a Veritas #4 smoother and they would still have to compete with the the planes that Stanley made back in their glory days that can be picked up for a small fraction of $150.

Richard Niemiec
06-10-2010, 1:39 PM
If I recall correctly, the last English-made Stanley Bailey 4's and 5's (with plastic handles) sold for around $100 in the U.S. <snip>

I've seen English-made, plastic toted #4s in Lowes for around $48..... not all that lately however.

john brenton
06-10-2010, 1:39 PM
The newest models have 1/8" A2 steel irons and have cherry handles. $150 for a low angle jack looks like a sweet deal....$150 for the smoother, well, not so much.

If I recall correctly, the last English-made Stanley Bailey 4's and 5's (with plastic handles) sold for around $100 in the U.S. If Stanley were to build these models to pre-WWII standards and with bubinga handles they would probably have to retail for at least $150. That's getting close to the price of a Veritas #4 smoother and they would still have to compete with the the planes that Stanley made back in their glory days that can be picked up for a small fraction of $150.

Dave Ring
06-10-2010, 2:39 PM
I see that Amazon is currently selling Bailey 4's and 5's ("Contractor" grade) for around $50. Reviews are pretty dismal. The higher-priced Baileys that Woodcraft and others used to sell MAY have been built to a different standard.

David Hostetler
06-10-2010, 3:16 PM
I have a Fat Max utility knife, I believe, and it's OK, but the mechanism is already starting to loosen up and become difficult to work. It's only a year or two old and it's seen nothing but light use. Blade changes are getting more difficult. My dad's old Stanley knife is still going strong with 0 issues.

I forgot about their screwdrivers though. Until I bought my Weras, my old Stanley multi screwdriver was my goto. It was the only thing I owned that both fit and wasn't made out of cream cheese. I'm glad to hear they can still make a screwdriver.

Glad you're having luck with the chisels as well. I have a feeling that their quality is all over the place because some people will get a great (or at least decent) chisel or plane, and others will get a basket case. There's something to be said for having 10 of them in front of you and picking the one you like :)

In all fairness, my Stanley utility knives are all over 10 years old. And they work like knew when clean and have decent blades in them.

The Stanley / Fat Max chisels seem to have 2 different countries of Origin. Mine are English, the others are Chinese. The Chinese sourced chisels I understand are total and complete junk...

The screwdrivers I bought because, well I couldn't find all my Snap On screw drivers... The Snap Ons returned, so the Stanleys just sort of collect dust.

James Scheffler
06-10-2010, 3:30 PM
Yeah, chisels and tapes and levels and stuff, but what about their planes? Like their good old Bailey 4, 5, and 6 that you can still buy retail or online, sometimes listed as "contractor grade"? A few years ago I got one of each that I've found usable, but I don't have any experience with higher end stuff, so I can't really judge.

I bought the "contractor-grade" Stanley No. 3 equivalent a few years ago, and at least the one I got is not good. Not hopeless, but not good. See my earler post here: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112402

Jim

Paul Incognito
06-11-2010, 7:18 AM
Paul,
I've got a 25 year old Bostich coil nailer that is great, though it is heavy. I have also got their brad nailer and headless pinner, both are about 6 years old. Theyre great too. I have had their narrow crown stapler. It also never worked right, misfired, set staples at varying depths, and was basically a piece of junk. I "dropped" it on the slab in a new build and the casting cracked. I went back to the 30+year old senco stapler and it has outperformed by a long shot. It's slimmer, too.

I have the Hitachi 15 ga angled finish nailer. The older style, it's great, but it leaves gaping holes in the work. Hitachi was great before they decided to go all "Tribal Gummy Bear" with their designs. The rubber just peels right off, sometimes on the store shelf!
James,
I'm with you on the old Bostich stuff. My 15 year old roofing nailer still works great, and it isn't exactly babied.
I had the same problem with the narrow crown stapler. There's a rubber piston in the housing that got an edge folded over and didn't seal. I got it fixed and it lasted 2 jobs, maybe 6 hours of off and on use. It's in the trash now. I had the same problem with their brad gun.
The old Hitachi guns are nice too. I'd never buy their new stuff on looks alone.

As to the OP, I really don't like much of Stanley's new offerings. If Fastcap made a 25' tape, I'd never own another Stanley. And if you want a good level, look no further than Stabila. For a razor knife, get the Lenox, no tools needed for blade changes and the blades are much better than the Stanley's as well.
PI

Dan Karachio
06-11-2010, 3:37 PM
Totally off topic but they used to make a closet organizer system that was head and shoulders above the cheapo junk in the home centers.

Richard Niemiec
06-11-2010, 6:23 PM
I bought the "contractor-grade" Stanley No. 3 equivalent a few years ago, and at least the one I got is not good. Not hopeless, but not good. See my earler post here: http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=112402

Jim

I made a similar mistake 15 years ago, went to vintage and never looked back. I could sell you a T11 for a touch more than what you paid for the new #3......

James Scheffler
06-11-2010, 7:22 PM
I made a similar mistake 15 years ago, went to vintage and never looked back. I could sell you a T11 for a touch more than what you paid for the new #3......

Me too. I have a nice collection of old planes now, coincidently including a T11 No. 3. :)