PDA

View Full Version : Another Cyclone Question

Michael Perata
11-26-2004, 4:02 PM
Well, I thought I had it all planned out, but....

Does anyone have Oneida experience with:

1. The internal filter assembly for their compnent 2HP unit. How easy/hard is it to clean

2. How much fine dust is exhausted on the 2Hp commercial unit. Assume a run of 200 BF using a jointer and then planer.

I need to move the DC/Cyclone outside my garage. There is room for the cyclone unit but not for external filters.

Jim Becker
11-26-2004, 4:14 PM
I had the internal filter on the 1.5hp component system. It worked, but I'd never want it if there was any form of sander involved. Cleaning the filter, while easier than it used to be now that they ship quick clamp rings on the systems, is still a pain and you can get about a 20% increase in performance with external filters. (Either the Oneida filter or a "roll your own" version as I used with that system after awhile) For your situation, go with the external filter and just extend the outlet back into the shop. You don't have to hang it right on the cyclone! As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to extend my outlet so I can move my compressor to where the filter is now and provide better (and more code compliant) access to my electrical panel.

As to the 2hp commercial unit that I now run, I get pretty much "almost nothing" in the filters unless I overshoot the top of the bin. (My bad when that happens) So if you are considering exhausting outside, no issue whatsoever...I'd do that except for the little problem of ejecting heat from my shop!

Michael Perata
11-26-2004, 4:44 PM
Thanks Jim. I'll price out the 2Hp Com'l unit.

I am concerned about exhaust dust because of the closeness of my neighbor. Worst case I could problably put a furnace type filter over the exhaust port.

Jim Becker
11-26-2004, 4:59 PM
The furnace filter will do little since they don't filter down to below 2 microns in most cases. But do put a long-radius elbow on the exterior so that the air flow is "down". This will both mitigate noise and also keep rain out. You'll want a bug screen on it, too, but make it removable in case you, umm...forget to empy the bin soon enough. You will get blow-by in that case and the screen will stop the works. My advise is not to forget to empty the bin in time!! (DAMHIKT!!)