PDA

View Full Version : Wood marqueterie chess board

onur cakir
06-09-2010, 6:01 AM
Hi everyone ! Hope you all are good :)

Well...here's a project that was killed by my lacquer man :mad:

I said him that "i dont want any lacquer fill-just polish the piece naturaly by hand"

What he did is to sprey fill with airgun...

It took hors of work to assample the small pieces.

Here're the pictures and the project file if anyone willing to cut.

Dan Hintz
06-09-2010, 6:05 AM
I'm not sure what it looked like before, Onur, but it looks pretty damn good to me right now!

onur cakir
06-09-2010, 6:28 AM
The problem is all the wood part lost their wood feeling when u touch them. Because of thick layer of laquer they have plastic feeling.

Also i did some installation mistakes as this was my first attempt :o

Frank Corker
06-09-2010, 6:57 AM
It does look nice I agree. I still agree that you can make it look better though. It seems to have suffered with the shrinkage of the lacquer being too heavy and might also account for the plasticky feel to it. Applied correctly lacquer can look really nice and french polishing even better.

Viktor Voroncov
06-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Onur - another perfect work :) You must drive Bentley with so good laser taste :D

What is thickness of wood veneers?

onur cakir
06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Well not Bentley but i'm even ok for an Alfa Romeo 159 jtd+ :cool:

We have a problem here in Turkey...i cant find veneers !!!

We have many places to buy veneer but they sell it in large piles and they are so so expensive like 200$ per pile. And as i need 2 different piles that makes much more expensive.

So i buy 0,3 mm sheets of wood and press them on 4 mm cheap poplar plywood. Pressing must be made on both sides of the plywood to prevent heat turning of the sheet.

Actually with 4 mm thickness its much more easy to to marquieterie.

Viktor Voroncov
06-09-2010, 10:21 AM
But in this case you must make double cutting for inserts? So you cut dark wood first and later cut light wood and insert light wood into dark?

On pictures everything looks like VERY THIN LAYER OF LIGHT WOOD sticked to board.

Cant open your file even with X3 :( Could you send me saved in lower version of Corel -12 or X3 info (ETA) litografa.lt) - Thanks!

onur cakir
06-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Yep....for 2 color marq. you need to cut the patterns twice.

You can see the thickness of the poplar plywood and wood sheets pressed on both sides.

Allen Isakson
06-09-2010, 3:20 PM
Onar, I tried to open the cdr and it wont open for me. I have ver 13 could you resend the cdr in 13 or lower so i can open it.

Niklas Bjornestal
06-09-2010, 5:29 PM
Well not Bentley but i'm even ok for an Alfa Romeo 159 jtd+ :cool:

We have a problem here in Turkey...i cant find veneers !!!

We have many places to buy veneer but they sell it in large piles and they are so so expensive like 200$ per pile. And as i need 2 different piles that makes much more expensive.

So i buy 0,3 mm sheets of wood and press them on 4 mm cheap poplar plywood. Pressing must be made on both sides of the plywood to prevent heat turning of the sheet.

Actually with 4 mm thickness its much more easy to to marquieterie.
isnt a 0.3 mm sheet of wood veneer?
From wikipedia:

veneer refers to thin slices of wood, usually thinner than 3 mm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millimetre) (1/8 inch)

George D Gabert
06-09-2010, 5:29 PM
try this

GDG

Steve Clarkson
06-09-2010, 9:38 PM
Onur,

Another outstanding project!

onur cakir
06-10-2010, 2:18 AM
Thanks Steve :)

Well there are two types of veneers. One we call "papel" i dont know the english term for them; their thickness changes from 2,0-5,0 mm. Thats the expensive ones that i need and sold in piles, around 20 mē.

And we have -sheet veneers- which have 0,3 mm of thickness. Thats the cheap ones that can be sold in sheets around 1 mē.

Here's the file version 10

Gary and Jessica Houghton
06-12-2010, 2:13 PM
Onur,
This is beautiful. Great job.